C4 Forums | Control4

Still on the Fence about DUNE media players?

You can't get non-ISO Blu-rays into the C4 media database, there's no support for the .m2ts files in C4.

I think you guys should be a little more specific. I do not use .iso's for bluray actually. I am using .mkv and everything seems to work fine.

I don't know what you mean by 'there's no support for .m2ts files' in Control4.

When you do a scan, you can specify which extensions to look for, even ones that are not in the pre-defined list.

RyanE

Ryan - If you scan for .m2ts files, you tend to find about 50 per BD rip, so you have to remove the ones you don't want. Much easier to rip to BD ISO. There isn't a single IFO file (or even a single unique individual filetype of any kind) for BDs like there is for DVDs.

Joe - MKV's don't have support for BD Live and BD Menus AFAIK (please correct me if I'm wrong!) so they aren't BDs - they're video files and use a different playback engine on the Dune. If you can rip a BD to MKV and keep the BD menus and BD Live stuff then please let me know so I can try that with the Dune!

Yep, that's going to work fine. It uses the file playback engine rather than the bluray or dvd engine on the Dune, but you will still have chapter skip if that's burnt into the MKV by your ripping software AFAIK.

About 40% of my movies are m2ts. Control4 finds them just fine and our driver plays them just fine with the bluray engine on the Dune. The other 60% are ISOs. I can't really see any performance difference or audio difference but I do have many customers that use M2ts as well. Thats why I asked the question because I had two or three people purchase it after indicating that they couldn't get their M2ts collection to work with your driver. I didn't know if they were using it wrong or not so thats why I asked today.

As Ryan says, you just indicate that it must search for that file type. The issue you may have seen before with multiple m2ts is in how you backup. BluRay Fab will actually put the entire main movie to 1 m2ts file with all audio formats you choose/subtitles, etc. If you need interviews, menus, etc. it will not work but a lot of people apparently just back up the "main movie" which leads to 1 m2ts file (at least with DVDfab/BluRay Fab which is all I can personally attest to).

The issue you may have seen before with multiple m2ts is in how you backup. BluRay Fab will actually put the entire main movie to 1 m2ts file with all audio formats you choose/subtitles, etc. If you need interviews, menus, etc. it will not work but a lot of people apparently just back up the "main movie" which leads to 1 m2ts file (at least with DVDfab/BluRay Fab which is all I can personally attest to).

Aha! Thanks, I've now added support for individual m2ts files - I've only ever backed up the whole disc which was a whole mess of files.

No problem. Its actually not just the whole disc either. If you add even 1 director's commentary or other feature it wont work as you'll end up with 2 files. I learned that the hard way with a few days of wasted backups.

That's kind of what I thought, so that's why we suggest people rip to ISO if they don't want to reconvert the files. If they convert to _anything_ other than M2TS it's not a BD file any more, it's just a video file; some (like MKV) still support chapter skip, some don't.

You can always re-rip an ISO as anything else in the future as well, which is the other reason for doing that.

Yea I agree thats why I switched to using ISOs. It was for my prior collection and useful for those who have current collections that is already in place in m2ts. I also found that if you use iso format and still choose main movie (getting rid of the extras) the iso is still the same file size as the single m2ts which is nice.

Archived