C4 Forums | Control4

iPad vs Android

Ok. All I have heard and read about is the iPad. Today I was walkig past a shop and saw an Android 8" tablet a a fraction of the price of an iPad.

So, the big question.

Regarding C4, once an app for C4 has been created, what is the benefit in buying an Android tablet as apposed to an iPad.

This is what I am wanting.

C4 control via Navigator.

Web browsing if possible

cheers

G

Man, this will spark a huge debate.

I prefer Android because of the fact that it's open source and I can do whatever I want with it. I have NEVER hooked it up to the computer. You can't even really turn an iPad on without syncing with iTunes first. I despise iTunes.

I have bought and scrapped two iPads, and bought two XOOMs. I still have both the XOOMs =)

True statement about the Android OS. Very easy to do your own thing. I am a Apple guy by trial and error if you want to call it that. I prefer an iPad over a Droid device due to the fact that when I get an app it works. Yes iTunes does suck however Droid can be a pain too. Proce is a factor and I think you get what you pay for in anything...

More to come as this is a quick statement. :)

• 4 months later...

I'd like to re-open this thread if I may...because apparently there are couple of new 7 inch Android tablets coming out...

Now Control4 navigator runs on Android....correct?

So does anyone know of an Android tablet around the 7-10 inch size that has a docking charging station, so the tablet sits in the station in landscape mode (like the old Sonos hand controllers used to sit)

I can actually see the use of an Android tablet (over an iPad) if it sits in this configuration, is a bit smaller, isn't too busy and can be configured to just show perhaps 3 or 4 apps....

The android app is scheduled to be released Q4 of 2010.....wait, never mind. Anyway, I have the wifi version of the Moto Xoom. I really like it. I have the speaker dock, it sits landscape and charges. Currently it is an expensive internet radio for work till the app comes out. There may be cheaper tablets out though.

It's in a limited release beta.

Works quite well on my Samsung Infuse 4G. Previous beta release would crash on a certain thermostat in my project, but the current one is quite good. Probably not supposed to say much more than that.

:)

I don't know when it's estimated release date will be, but it'll be worth the wait.

RyanE

Archived