C4 Forums | Control4

Subtitles are driving me nuts

I hate that my first post has to be a complaint or a cry for help (a bit of both) but I am getting desperate

I am sure that other people with Control4 have the same problem

My whole family uses Macs (as well as me) I have 5 different ways of getting videos onto the hard drive to play on Control4. This has worked for every movie, expect those with subtitles and it is driving me mental

I need a solution and I need one quickly

Here is what is happening

For movies with occasional subtitles I cannot get them to transfer

For the following movies, no matter what I try, nothing seems to work

Inglorious Bastards (occasional subtitles (the first 10 minutes has German and French spoken and I can't get the subtitles to transfer)

The Last Samurai (Anything that is said in Japanese)

Star Wars (any alien speech)

Lord of the Rings (Anything in Elvish)

And then there are the full subtitled ones, the movies in another language that will not transfer subtitles

Cinema Paradiso (all Italian)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (all Chinese)

House of Flying Daggers (Same)

Zatoichi (All Japanese)

Brotherhood of the Wolf (All French)

My methods work for everything else, and these are just a few of the ones that refuse to work no matter what programs I use

MacTheRipper

RipIt

4MediaDVDCopy

DVDFAB

MDRP

ANYDVD

CLONEDVD2

Am i doing something wrong or is it the system

Can someone help me please

This is insane

My only real solution is to make them avi files, and this is insane because each one ends up being 11 or 12 gig, and thanks to Control4 you can't skip forward or go back.

how am I able to get a movie transferred properly, in high quality, no compression, with subtitles?

You can't deposit the movies on a C4 controller...well, I guess you could into the HC1000 if you created a share, but that wouldn't make sense.

I'm assuming you're using the Control4 Media Player? If so, do these three things (not necessarily in this order)

1 - slap your dealer in the face

2 - remove the media player from your project (you can try and sell it, but it's essentially worthless...sorry)

3 - call James from Diamond Design (user diamonddesign on this forum) and but a Dune and have him set it up for you.

Then you can watch movies, and you can actually access the menu to select languages and subtitles (plus dozens of other benefits).

Oh yeah, and I would recommend ripping to .ISO.

Edit: typos.

Thanks for the help, I do rip the subtitled movies to iso, but sometimes they work and other times they don't.

Slumdog millionaire worked

Everything is illuminated worked

I am just mystified how a movie in a different language, when you select the original language the movie is in, and English subtitles, that it doesn't work.

Thanks for the help, I do rip the subtitled movies to iso, but sometimes they work and other times they don't.

Slumdog millionaire worked

Everything is illuminated worked

I am just mystified how a movie in a different language, when you select the original language the movie is in, and English subtitles, that it doesn't work.

The c4 media player has poor subtitle/audio track selection support. If you rip to .iso, it will play the first track it finds - which may be french, english, whatever. If you rip your files in a format that it likes, the C4 media player is actually not bad kit. But, most people prefer the simplicity of just ripping to iso and being able to playback HD rips.

Buy a Dune player. There is a specific subtitle button on the remote....which can be mapped....for IR control. That way any movie's subtitles (if they are included on the backup) can be turned on/off whenever you want.

I dont know if the IP Dune drivers include specific subtitle on/off...but the simple IR control of the Dune certainly does :)

Since it is my parents Control4 I do not think my dad would have any knowledge of what a Dune player is.

I know this sound stupid, and this may only work for those in a different language, but is there anyway of ripping a dvd, that has multiple options such as language and subtitles, choosing the language and english subtitles, rip it, then make a dvd, and then rip it again.

it sounds complicated but i do not know any other way. As said before, if you rip it as an ISO it will play the first track it finds. If i remove the options in the first place, would that work.

Since it is my parents Control4 I do not think my dad would have any knowledge of what a Dune player is.

I know this sound stupid, and this may only work for those in a different language, but is there anyway of ripping a dvd, that has multiple options such as language and subtitles, choosing the language and english subtitles, rip it, then make a dvd, and then rip it again.

it sounds complicated but i do not know any other way. As said before, if you rip it as an ISO it will play the first track it finds. If i remove the options in the first place, would that work.

You won't get that with the Control4 Media Player.

No, Dan that is exactly what he would get with the C4 media player.

It plays what was ripped, so if you rip it with subtitle on it will play it.

Brent

You can't select those options with the Control4 Media Player. It's a worthless pile...it doesn't even support 1080i/p...

Trying to stop the bickering

Because of my aspergers let me try to understand this one more time

I have the DVD with multiple subtitle options and languages

I select what I want, rip it, then burn it, then rip it again with only what is on there.

Does that sound correct

This will probably not work for movies with occasional subtitles, because for those to work subtitles would have to be one for the whole movie and you don't need subtitles when English is spoken, but might work for ones in a foreign language.

How about

makemkv.com?

Although you will probably have to convert back after you have ripped the subtitles and audio you want as i don't think the C4 media player supports MKV.

Unfortunately realized something

I ripped Amelie recently and that worked straight away, subtitles and all.

Yet I tried C.R.A.Z.Y which is French and has English subtitles, but when you watch it on a DVD, the subtitles have to be turned on manually. With Amelie, the subtitles worked without me doing anything and played automatically.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? And make it automatic

• 6 months later...

This thread is really old, but as I just picked up a C4 media player to mess around with I thought I'd share my thoughts. First off the player is fantastic for what it is. The C4 integration is top notch, and it doesn't seem to be glitchy and need constant reboots like many of the other players do. I haven't tried the Dune players, but based on what I've read I'm sure they are very nice boxes so I don't mean to compare them. That said, if you rip the files correctly in the first place, the C4 player is a great media player in its own right.

So for the guy who is struggling with the subtitle issues, most of the older players on the market don't allow menu manipulation either, so there are some great editing tools in order to get the files to play correctly. Honestly I've never cared for the menus, and I've been ripping my files using these tools forever now. With a little patience and understanding for the terms and files in question you can get excellent results. Addressing the subtitle issue directly, firstly I don't recommend using .ISO files. Rip your files to .VOB format instead. DVDShrink/DVDFab and a bunch of other video ripping tools are great at this and many are free. Then download and install IFOEdit. This is a great tool that should be on every rippers short list of installed software. With IFOEdit you can manipulate the IFO and BUP files so that the CC or subtitles can be forced. This is very useful for movies that have all foreign language dialog. Here is a link to a quick guide for using IFOEdit for this pupose:

http://club.myce.com/f116/guide-making-forced-subtitles-apocalypto-others-220900/

Good luck!

Archived