C4 Forums | Control4

120v outlet for equipment closet

We utilise PS Audio powerplay IPC9000's with PS Audio powerpacks for our installs. The powerpack is a UPS and hte powerplay is a power conditioner / controller. we utilise it to control the power of distributed av equipment to minimise power usage. We also have it outputting the power consumption and voltage level of the rack to the control4 navigator.

I ran 6 high voltage circuits to my closet... New build it was a bargin. Might be overkill....

Figured I would have two circuits just for the theater alone... I will have 6 subs and they will be hungry.

All my amplifiers go directly into the wall. If they blow up I get to buy new ones.

Emotiva amps are cheap anyway. Everything else into surge / conditioners.

PS Audio powerplay IPC9000's that Alan recommends look sweet.... but I went more budget...

Never been a huge fan of conditioners... I unplug my power and the backup will run my system for hours

despite the fact that they were not very expensive... Than includes running multichannel amplifiers.

Peace

What is the preferred way to power the centralized equipment for a C4 system? How many are needed/recommended? Thanks.

Glenn

The way to "properly" power a centralized rack is measure the total amps your equipment will require/draw and plan your circuits that way. For example if you have all equipment running, what amperage will it draw? If it is drawing 20 amps and you have a 15 amp circuit you will have issues.

You will also have to plan for future upgrades, added equipment over time, etc. I would state that, at a MINIMUM, 2 separate 20 amp circuits are required.

Now I know each state, city will have its own code.But you should never max out a circuit. If you have a 20 amp it should not get above 15, now Alaska code says no continues draw above 13, and anchorage says no continues above 8 amp on a 20amp circuit. You should know what your local code is.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am surprised (maybe shouldn't be) how may dedicated circuits some of the systems use. I will take this into account when planning the racks.

What is a typical size fuse panel used in a custom home with an automation system? I have a 400 amp specified, but the current required for the automation system has me worried.

Thanks,

Glenn

Now I know each state, city will have its own code.But you should never max out a circuit. If you have a 20 amp it should not get above 15, now Alaska code says no continues draw above 13, and anchorage says no continues above 8 amp on a 20amp circuit. You should know what your local code is.

So, I guess that means you can't dry hair with just about any kind of hair dryer?

Anchorage has some very strict codes in place, I live and work in the valley where they are more relaxed. But you have to remember what continues is, so unless it takes you 24 hours to dry your hair then you are probably okay.

Archived