C4 Forums | Control4

Kaleidescape M700 Disc Vault Announced

Below is the official Kaleidescape press release:

New Kaleidescape Vault Automatically Imports your CDs, DVDs and

Blu-ray Discs and Stores them for Easy Retrieval

World’s Best-Engineered Robotic Disc Loader Now Available

SUNNYVALE, CA, July 19, 2011 ‐ Kaleidescape, Inc., the market leader in movie servers, today announced availability of the M700 Disc Vault, designed from the ground up to simplify and accelerate the process of adding movies and music to a Kaleidescape System. Up to 320 discs can be loaded into the M700 Disc Vault’s precision carousel, where their contents are quickly copied onto the Kaleidescape System. This process is fully automated and requires no additional work on the part of the user. Once copied, a Blu‐ray Disc must remain in the disc vault to enable playback of the digital copy from the server. DVDs and CDs may either be ejected or left in the M700 Disc Vault for safe storage and easy accessibility. The M700 DiscVault makes it easier than ever to build and enjoy a personal movie collection.

“I’ve always loved my Kaleidescape System, but the recent addition of the M700 Disc Vault has taken the experience to a new level,” said Jeff, a Kaleidescape owner from Seattle. ʺI love that I can import any type of disc very quickly and easily. Later, I use the front panel buttons to eject the CDs and DVDs from the vault in seconds, freeing up slots for more Blu‐ray Discs.”

The M700 Disc Vault also simplifies system installation. “With the M700 Disc Vault we are able to streamline the installation and loading of our customers’ Kaleidescape Systems like never before. We can now quickly load the customers’ Blu‐ray Discs and DVDs onsite, or preload a Kaleidescape Movie Collection in our facility and ship the finished rack ready to roll,” said Craig Abplanalp of Definitive Audio in Bellevue, Washington. “All that’s left to do is power up the system when it arrives.”

“Delivering instant access to Hollywood’s best movies at the highest quality – anywhere in your home – has always been our passion at Kaleidescape,” said Michael Malcolm, Founder, Chairman, and CEO. “We have spent the past ten years designing and building a family of products that solve real usability problems while providing the highest levels of performanceand reliability. The M700 Disc Vault is an elegant addition to our product family that makes it easy to import your content, provides a safe place to store your discs, and makes it quick and easy to retrieve any disc when you need it.”

Key Features

Unattended, Automatic Import – Copies large numbers of Blu‐ray Discs, DVDs and CDs onto a Kaleidescape System. You simply insert the discs and walk away.

Easy Expandability – Multiple M700 Disc Vaults can be added to a Kaleidescape System to house thousands of Blu‐ray Discs, DVDs and CDs.

Front Panel Display – Indicates import progress, number of discs stored, and number of available slots. Buttons provide ability to eject all Blu‐ray Discs, all DVDs, all CDs or all discs.

Efficient Organization – Clutter‐free storage of up to 320 discs in just five rack units of space. The M700 Disc Vault also makes it easy to find a disc when you need it: simply locate the title in the onscreen display and select Eject Disc.

Integrated Kaleidescape M‐Class Player – Provides pristine playback of movies stored on a Kaleidescape movie server.

Kaleidescape Design – Designed from the ground up for years of trouble‐free operation. Kaleidescape engineers specified precision stepper motors, a high‐strength belt, and an internal disc‐retention shell.

Warranty – Includes a two‐year limited warranty, extendable to five years.The M700 Disc Vault is available immediately at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $5,995 in the United States and Canada. Paired with a 1U Server, the M700 Disc Vault comprises a complete Blu‐ray movie server at $15,990.

About Kaleidescape

Kaleidescape designs and manufactures the world’s leading DVD and Blu‐ray movie servers, bringing lifestyle convenience to movie‐loving families. The Kaleidescape System, renowned for its intuitive user interface, presents your entire collection of movies on any TV in your home, and provides a rich, cinematic experience for the entire family. Kaleidescape’s innovativeproducts and services are protected by 67 patents issued and pending. Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, Kaleidescape sells its movie servers through custom installation dealers and distributors throughout the world.

For more information, please visit www.kaleidescape.com.

Linus Wong

linus.wong@kaleidescape.com

+1 650‐625‐6319

kvault-M700-01.jpgkvault-M700-03.jpgkvault-M700-04.jpg

This looks really cool, and I appreciate you sharing it with us, but the line below has me wondering...

Paired with a 1U Server, the M700 Disc Vault comprises a complete Blu‐ray movie server at $15,990

Is this $10k better than the 400 disc sony BluRay changer combined with an 18tb NAS and a few Dune players? If so, why? This just seems so incredibly overpriced...

It's super easy to get your content in and browse (even by length of movie) and it keeps the copy protection in place. The people that have the money for a k-scape aren't the same people necessarily interested in DIY ripping their movies to a preferred format of the player, building a NAS, getting a dune, setting it up with my movies, etc etc. It's one nice ecosystem together.

This looks really cool, and I appreciate you sharing it with us, but the line below has me wondering...
Paired with a 1U Server, the M700 Disc Vault comprises a complete Blu‐ray movie server at $15,990

Is this $10k better than the 400 disc sony BluRay changer combined with an 18tb NAS and a few Dune players? If so, why? This just seems so incredibly overpriced...

What the TheCodeMan states is true.

It's super easy to get your content in and browse (even by length of movie) and it keeps the copy protection in place. The people that have the money for a k-scape aren't the same people necessarily interested in DIY ripping their movies to a preferred format of the player, building a NAS, getting a dune, setting it up with my movies, etc etc. It's one nice ecosystem together.

Our cliental are not interested in purchasing a whole bunch of different items, putting them together and trying to make them work. Our clients are not DIY'ers nor will they ever be. It's not that they are not able to do it, they really do not have the desire or the time.

You asked,

Is this $10k better than the 400 disc sony BluRay changer combined with an 18tb NAS and a few Dune players? If so, why?

As far as pricing goes it's worth every penny. Anyone who has one will tell you the same thing. But lets look at it from a market standpoint. Kaleidescape has always been, and will be, the premium move server manuf. out there. Even though others have come and gone, Escient to name one, Kaleidescape is still around, developing new products and still selling at a premium. There is a reason why. It's called the Kaleidescape User Experience and it's the BEST around. Here are three industry reviews.

HomeTheatreSpot

Sound and Vision

John Sciacca

I can give you the whole Kaleidescape sales pitch BUT finding out from Kaleidescape owners who actually use it would be a better sell. Go to Kscape Owners Forum and find out what makes it a better system. You can also go to AVS and Kaleidescape to read reviews not only from the industry buy actual Kaleidescape owners.

If you have specific questions regarding the Kaleidescape System, other than price, just ask. I will be more then happy to answer them.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents.

I'm both a big time DIYer and a KScale owner.

I did the DIY nas for a long time. It just sucked. I hated the time it took to rip and keeping a whole home solution up and running.

KscApe copies the most DVDs in 15 minutes. It automatically starts DVDs at the movie, skipping all the FBI warnings, previews, etc.

My only complain is they rob you on the cost of hard drives. I think 2TB drives are about $1500. That's where the big expense comes from.

And to answer about C4 integration: yes. Only you don't get the movie info or icon on your remotes. But I like doing it onscreen, so to me it's perfect.

The place I go donate blood at every 8 weeks (or whatever it is) has Kaleidascape system. They like it. They have 10 or so beds for people that do platelate (sp?) donations that have TV's and are hooked up to it. It took me going there for almost 3 years to find someone that knew that the system was. They just present a list of movies and ask you what you want to watch.

For applications like that, where you have a lot of users and none of them want to mess with it, it makes sense I guess. I just couldn't see spending that kind of cheddar for a fancy bluray player.

Well it comes nowhere close to 40mbts max bitrate, It does not offer HD audio and your statement said? "ever heard of the internet?' and this offering is definately NOT streaming.

But if you overlook all those items, sure, its the same.

Brent

$16K for system

$8K for blu ray's (assuming $25/ disc)

So it will cost you $24,000 to watch only 320 of your favorite Blu Ray discs.

Ummm...have you ever hear of the Internet? (streaming)

+1

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Well it comes nowhere close to 40mbts max bitrate' date=' It does not offer HD audio and your statement said? "ever heard of the internet?' and this offering is definately NOT streaming.

But if you overlook all those items, sure, its the same.

Brent[/quote']

I could pay someone for a year to live at my house and change my blu ray discs for the price of this system.

I understand how this might be attractive to the guy who just wants it to work. But he also has someone who picks up his dry cleaning and dvd's from Best Buy, and lights his cigars with $100 bills.

All kidding aside, I believe this piece of hardware is going to be classified as "legacy" in a year when streaming content catches up

What continues to amaze me is just why Apple hasn't simply replicated the itunes music experience for HD movies.

You pop in a CD and itunes takes care of the rest..

Just why oh why Apple can't make the same magic happen for a DVD, let alone a blu ray, is well....something I simply don't understand.

They continue to say there is no market for people who want to "store" their movies in a library, yet there is a market for this device at 15K plus for the non DIYer...

You simply do not need to be a DIYer to put your music into itunes, so what would be the difference for an itunes movie library? A new sub 1K mac mini together with a new thunderbolt DAS would totally crush this...

I simply fail to comprehend why Apple has gone all "cloudy" in their thinking....

As every year goes by, its like the bleeding obvious seems further and further from appearing in reality...

What am I missing here?

What continues to amaze me is just why Apple hasn't simply replicated the itunes music experience for HD movies

What am I missing here?

Your missing the copy protection on DVD and Bluray. iTunes works great when you buy a disc with digital copy. I have a whole bunch we use iTunes and move the movie to a NAS, iPad or even iPhone.

Unfortunately the copy protection on Bluray doesn't allow for watching a rip without verifying the disc, that's why Kaleidescape uses a vault.

I could pay someone for a year to live at my house and change my blu ray discs for the price of this system.

I understand how this might be attractive to the guy who just wants it to work. But he also has someone who picks up his dry cleaning and dvd's from Best Buy, and lights his cigars with $100 bills.

All kidding aside, I believe this piece of hardware is going to be classified as "legacy" in a year when streaming content catches up

LMAO

I had the kids load the fist 500 DVDs into our Kaleidescape. That's how I justified the expense vs. Someone living in the basement. Oh, and we do have dry cleaning picked up and delivered. I use amazon for DVDs, and don't smoke, but thanks for the ideas.

Your thoughts would mean streaming replaces bluray and DVD sales, and Im not sure that could happen fast enough for me to regret buying a kscape. I admit the thing is expensive, but so Are pioneer elite plasmas and thiel or b&w speaker, or mark levinsom amps, etc, etc. At least kscape is whole home!

Wow very interesting comments about Kaleidescape and I thought I would make a comment.

A majority of the comments are about the price of the system. The 2 comments that stood out an actually made me laugh were the following;

+1

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

and

. . . .I believe this piece of hardware is going to be classified as "legacy" in a year when streaming content catches up

Let's look at the first comment;

+1 "A fool and his money are soon parted."

This can be said about anyone who purchases C4, or any other control system. "What? 10K, 15K, 25K, 50K + to turn on/off your TV, Lights, HVAC, etc. I can use a Logitech Harmony remote and Z-Wave, etc to accomplish the same thing for about $500.00. Thats ridiculous." Don't get me wrong, a fool and his money are soon parted, that is true. Look at those who purchased over valued homes, homes they could not really afford, and mortgages they could not afford.

In every market there are fools, just because someone purchases a video system thats upwards of $15,000 does not automatically constitute him/her a fool. Is $15K+ for a Kaleidescape system a lot of money? No. Is 15K a lot of money? No. Remember, a dollar is worthless, It's value lies in what you do with it.

Now as far as the other comment,

. . . .I believe this piece of hardware is going to be classified as "legacy" in a year when streaming content catches up

This quote is on the ridiculous side and a bit ignorant. My question to you is, what's your "Belief" based on? As someone who did research on Kaleidescape?, As a Kaleidescape owner?, As a previous Kaleidescape owner?, or are you just making an uneducated guess based on previous failed media server companies? Do you know what products/services Kaleidescape has coming out in 6 months, a year, 2 years? Maybe they are developing/beta testing a Kaleidescape Store, similar to iTunes, where a Kaleidescape owner can purchase, download and store HD content on their Kaleidescape system. A store where Kaleidescape owners will have the ability to rent/stream HD movies.

As a dealer and beta tester for Kaleidescape, I can tell you that Kaleidescape is not sitting around and basing their future products around physical media. Everyone knows, at some point in the future, physical media will be a thing of the past and online purchasing/streaming/renting will be the way of the future and Kaleidescape is well aware of this.

Is Kaleidescape expensive? No. A fully functioning Kaleidescape system starts at $5,000. If you can afford a C4 system you can afford a Kaleidescape system. But, is Kaleidescape for everyone ABSOLUTELY NOT. Just as C4, Crestron, McIntosh, Meridian, and Wilson are not for everyone.

I use the Kaleidescape M700 to do it automatically for me. It's a one time cost. I don't want the ongoing cost of feeding, housing, and paying someone to do it for me. Not to mention the payroll taxes.

But he also has someone who picks up his dry cleaning

We do have our dry cleaning picked up and delivered. Its a free service from our dry cleaners.

and dvd's from Best Buy

We purchase ALL our DVD's, Blu-Ray's and CD's from Second Spin

and lights his cigars with $100 bills.

I don't smoke, but I do use $100 bills to light up my life

We purchase ALL our DVD's' date=' Blu-Ray's and CD's from Second Spin

Great now everyone will think if you buy a Kaleidescape you can only afford DVD when they become available for sale as a used item.

About 2 months ago we purchased the following, all Blu-Ray, from Second Spin for $57.00

1) The Harry Potter Years 1-7 Blu-Ray set.

2) 2001: A Space Odyssey

3) Iron Man

4) Iron Man 2

Second Spin is always having 2 for 1, buy 3 get 2 free type sales. I know that if you purchase a used CD/DVD/Blu-Ray from Second Spin you will never again buy from Best Buy or Amazon.

EDIT: To be clear, the above purchase was made in the Newport Beach store not online. I do not know if the in store sales are extended to their web site, if their website has different promotions than their store or if all sales and promos are applied to both.

This quote is on the ridiculous side and a bit ignorant. My question to you is, what's your "Belief" based on? As someone who did research on Kaleidescape?, As a Kaleidescape owner?, As a previous Kaleidescape owner?, or are you just making an uneducated guess based on previous failed media server companies? Do you know what products/services Kaleidescape has coming out in 6 months, a year, 2 years? Maybe they are developing/beta testing a Kaleidescape Store, similar to iTunes, where a Kaleidescape owner can purchase, download and store HD content on their Kaleidescape system. A store where Kaleidescape owners will have the ability to rent/stream HD movies.

As a dealer and beta tester for Kaleidescape, I can tell you that Kaleidescape is not sitting around and basing their future products around physical media. Everyone knows, at some point in the future, physical media will be a thing of the past and online purchasing/streaming/renting will be the way of the future and Kaleidescape is well aware of this.

Is Kaleidescape expensive? No. A fully functioning Kaleidescape system starts at $5,000. If you can afford a C4 system you can afford a Kaleidescape system. But, is Kaleidescape for everyone ABSOLUTELY NOT. Just as C4, Crestron, McIntosh, Meridian, and Wilson are not for everyone.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to imply with this post, because you essentially start off accusing me of being an idiot because I am not privy to OEM development schedules -- but than go on to agree with me that physical media is going to be replaced -- which my original post pointed out. Either I had too much coffee this morning, or we are agreeing on the intent of my post...but that you take issue with my lack of explanation for the attack on the Kscape system (which apparently also cures cancer), as my use of metaphors explaining the expense are ridiculous (which I agree).

Since you know so much about this company, maybe you could show us (simpletons) how Kaleidescape is going to become a player in digital media delivery without studio contracts? Their product line is already in grey area in regards to copyright laws... http://www.kaleidescape.com/news/pr/legal-update.php

Streaming still has a ways to go. Content comes and goes on Netflix, isn't always available indefinately on Hulu, etc. Unless the 300lb gorilla with billions in cash (Apple) is interested in wrestling Hollywood like they did the music industry, it will be longer than a year before we can nix the discs IMO.

What continues to amaze me is just why Apple hasn't simply replicated the itunes music experience for HD movies

What am I missing here?

Your missing the copy protection on DVD and Bluray. iTunes works great when you buy a disc with digital copy. I have a whole bunch we use iTunes and move the movie to a NAS' date=' iPad or even iPhone.

Unfortunately the copy protection on Bluray doesn't allow for watching a rip without verifying the disc, that's why Kaleidescape uses a vault.[/quote']

Sure. The point I was making was this didn't bother them way back years ago when they took on the music studios...(which was basically what they did by allowing this functioning with itunes) Someone at Apple must have made that call, and basically said...sod it..I don't care about the lawyers, just go ahead and do it. And with regard to music, the rest is history...

Now Apple is not making that call. Someone has lost his mojo. He has made the call that he'd rather spend billions on development of a "cloud", than spend it on the inevitable legal suits fighting movie copy protection. But blind freddie can see that if Apple wanted to do this (take on the movie studios)...they could. And would probably win in the long run...(Like they did with the music studios)

The irony is it is basically a fight against the one other company. (Sony) They beat them then (with music). But they now have lost their mojo...they won't now take them on again..

Once Sony would fall, Fox (Newscorp) would follow. Then game over.

Now is the time for Apple to strike as Newscorp is very week right now with it's newspaper phone hacking problems. And Sony is week with it's playstation fiasco. Heck Apple could take the whole Newscorp show over right now if they wanted. They have the capital, and they'd have 99cents in the dollar left over in change.

No. It gets back to mojo. SJ has lost it. He has gone down this cloud tangent and can't see the wood from the trees...

Apple keeps telling us that it is acceptable to watch low def movies on a 10 inch screen with canned music coming out of a couple of 5 cent little stereo bud speakers...well in 2011 it's not. This is just plain daft...

No. What Apple is doing is a major "call". They have decided that they would rather push customers to move their content onto their "cloud" than let customers look after their own content. They are basically telling us that we (Apple) know best for you! Well this is a big call. Only time will tell I guess if it is the correct one...

All kidding aside' date=' I believe this piece of hardware is going to be classified as "legacy" in a year when streaming content catches up[/quote']

Streaming still has a ways to go. Content comes and goes on Netflix, isn't always available indefinately on Hulu, etc. .

..this is only true with streaming over the net. If the content remains in your own house, it is not a problem. It comes down to philosophy as I've said in the above post.. Are customers prepared to "release" the content back to a "cloud" service..particularly having already paid for it?....

Maybe Netflix's problem is this. That customers actually want quality content in their own homes (and are STILL prepared to pay for it) :lol:

Archived