C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Matrix. Which one?

JHill9

I have installed plenty of the Snap 4x4's they work great. I have even split HDMI sources into 2 matrix switches making a 4x8 which worked equally well if you ever need more outputs.

Yes C4 isn't really supposed to work with cascading switches but I posted about a month ago that I had tested it with this switch and an Atlona 4x2 and it worked great. Now that JHill has bought my Snap model I put the Atlona on ebay (there now) but as you said' date=' it gives you 7 inputs instead of 4 (in my example) and I was using the mirrored outputs to have 8 outputs so I had a poor mans 7 x 8 switch :)[/quote']

Care to elaborate on how you turned two 4x4's into a reliable 7x8? That's EXACTLY what I need.

Could a true 6x6 be accomplished by taking an output into an input of each unit?

With the correct programing!

I don't think so. What if you want two of the devices hooked up to inputs on the first device, to go to two displays that are outputs on the second device? You only have one conduit from switch A to switch B.

I put a post on this up a while back. I basically put the Atlona I have on ebay which is a serial 4x2 (the Atlona driver is broken so I made my own), put 4 inputs into it, put the 2 outputs as follows: 1 into projector receiver and 1 into the 4x4 snap switch. Then plugged 3 other things in the snap switch (so 7 items total it now has access to, 3 unique and 4 of which must be chosen as either/or). As a note however, the 4x2 is a true matrix so the projector can be on the 300 while the 4x4 is on the roku. The 4x4 has 4 mirrored outputs, 4 by cable and 4 by network. You have to choose the tvs you hook them to, for instance, a kitchen tv mated to a master tv, kids bedroom mated to kids playroom, etc. because the mirrored ones have to watch what the other room it is mirrored to is watching. 7x8 on the cheap.

The atlona only has a few hours on it on the auction and its below dealer cost :)

Wait, are you telling me the Snap AV 4x4 is really a 4 input 4 unique outputs x 2 types of outputs.

So I can have HDMI AND balun outputs paired off each of the 4 outputs?

If so, cool! Have to figure out how to take advantage of that :)

Archived