C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Matrix. Which one?

JHill9

I was talking with my dealer about a HDMI Matrix and he recommends the Atlona and Audio Authority. Which one are you guys using or recommend? Monoprice is tons cheaper but do you get what you pay for?

Any thoughts on these brands?

http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/hmx-244kit

http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-4x4-HDMI-MATRIX-SWITCH-WITH-4x-CAT5-RECEIVERS-INCLUDED-AND-3D-SUPPORT.html

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5704&seq=1&format=2

The system I am going with is very simple compared to a lot of you guys so I don't want to go overboard on the matrix. Thanks for the help in advance.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. 3k for just the HDMI matrix is going way over what I want to spend. But if the cheaper ones are no good then I don't have much of a choice.

I wouldn't say they're no good, just lesser known/quality brand. I didn't look at the specs on each model. Without looking at the links your question is like this: I need a new car. Do I get a Hyundai Elantra, Honda Accord or Porsche Panamera? They'll all get you to work, and all have 4 doors. They'll all work fine in the basic sense.

I have been using the monoprice switch for 4 months. I have only had one issue where the output I was watching started flashing this gray screen. I went up, powered the switch off and was back up and running. Even if that happens once every 4 months I will be a happy camper with all the money I saved.

I have been using the monoprice switch for 4 months. I have only had one issue where the output I was watching started flashing this gray screen. I went up, powered the switch off and was back up and running. Even if that happens once every 4 months I will be a happy camper with all the money I saved.

Any issues with getting the Monoprice to work with C4? For the price of the Monoprice it might be worth giving it a shot. If it doesn't work out than at least I am not out anything.

Nope, I just used the serial driver someone posted on this board. I am on mobile so can't link it right now easily. Just search for "monoprice driver" on this board. You'll need a serial cable as well, can't remember if it was a null modem or straight serial cable off hand.

They sell CEDIA channel only which means you'll have to go through a dealer (which also means pricing will vary wildly probably). I have a brand new one that I was going to use in my home that I'm considering selling because I hear that they are coming out with an 8x8 at cedia and I can always use more inputs/outputs. I did power it up and tested it and it does work well. I bought that for my home for price concerns. Usually on installs (where i dont want tech support calls a lot), I use Atlona (see my signature below).

They sell CEDIA channel only which means you'll have to go through a dealer (which also means pricing will vary wildly probably). I have a brand new one that I was going to use in my home that I'm considering selling because I hear that they are coming out with an 8x8 at cedia and I can always use more inputs/outputs. I did power it up and tested it and it does work well. I bought that for my home for price concerns. Usually on installs (where i dont want tech support calls a lot), I use Atlona (see my signature below).

Let me know how much you are thinking about selling it for. I would like the Atlona too but 3k is just to steep for me. Maybe oneday when I buy a million dollar house but for right now I am in a 2700 sqft house and can't justify the Atlona.

Maybe in a few years I will be able to upgrade to the Atlona 8x8 but for right now I am going with diamond design's SnapAV 4x4. Once I get it up and running I will let you guys know how well it is working. I am excited, just bought the matrix, hc-300, and 2 thermostats today so hopefully the dealer will be able to get everything working by end of next week. I know it is very small scale for most of you but I have to start somewhere.

Maybe in a few years I will be able to upgrade to the Atlona 8x8 but for right now I am going with diamond design's SnapAV 4x4. Once I get it up and running I will let you guys know how well it is working. I am excited, just bought the matrix, hc-300, and 2 thermostats today so hopefully the dealer will be able to get everything working by end of next week. I know it is very small scale for most of you but I have to start somewhere.

If James is selling it I'm sure it will work ;)

Matrix came in yesterday and I was very surprised how small the unit is. I have never seen one before and was expecting it to be like a DVD player. Hooked up in about 5 mins and the picture quality is the same as before. Couldn't be happier so far. I am still using my niles baluns because I didn't want to go through the hassle of pulling the TVs off the wall. So I have multiple handshakes (I think that is what you call it, I am new to all of this) going from HDMI to cat5 to HDMI. I wonder if it would be even better if I took some of those out by using the receivers that came with it.

Now all I need is for my C4 hardware to show up and I will be set.

I have installed plenty of the Snap 4x4's they work great. I have even split HDMI sources into 2 matrix switches making a 4x8 which worked equally well if you ever need more outputs.

Yes C4 isn't really supposed to work with cascading switches but I posted about a month ago that I had tested it with this switch and an Atlona 4x2 and it worked great. Now that JHill has bought my Snap model I put the Atlona on ebay (there now) but as you said, it gives you 7 inputs instead of 4 (in my example) and I was using the mirrored outputs to have 8 outputs so I had a poor mans 7 x 8 switch :)

Archived