C4 Forums | Control4

Installing Dimmer on single-pole with switch behind the light.

This is a standard switch leg wiring. It is "Single-Location Scenario--Power Source at Light Fixture" in the dimmer install guide.

It is possible to use a dimmer in this configuration but you will not be able to utilize the full range of dimming since the dimmer has to steel some electricity to power itself. As has already been mentioned it would be best to run a neutral if possible.

Thank you, I will run a common wire if possible. If not, if I understand the drawing from the documentation. I would hook both the white and red from the dimmer to the load side and black to hot, green to ground. Is that correct?

What functionality will I lose? I don't need dimming capability at this location specifically, I can use the dimmer either on or off.

Thanks again,

• 2 months later...

This doesn't seem to work on fluorescent light fixtures. I have fluorescent in my kitchen with the power going to the light and power stealing doesn't work at all. I am going to have to figure out how to get a common wire run to the switch.

It does not work with Control4 Switch devices at all.

It *ONLY* works with Control4 Dimmers.

RyanE

I did set up a dimmer with 0 ramp rates *wishing* it would work. But it didnt :(. I assume that since an incandescent bulb is just a coil of wire inside with a fairly low resistance, the dimmer pulls a small amount of power from the bulb so to speak. And fluorescent ballasts input usually having a really high resistance prevents this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar setup in a 2 gang box... the one switch is part of 3 way which will be replaced with a keypad. However, the on/off switch I want to replace has only the 2 wires attached controlling an outside light on our deck.

Can I use the white/neutral wire from the other switch that is part of another 3 way switch setup that is in the same 2 gang box?

I'm going to have an electrician buddy take care of all of my switch installation but want to know what to order and what not to order from Control4 parts before he gets here so I'm needing some advice on what can be done with Control4 components in some areas...

I have a similar setup in a 2 gang box... the one switch is part of 3 way which will be replaced with a keypad. However, the on/off switch I want to replace has only the 2 wires attached controlling an outside light on our deck.

Can I use the white/neutral wire from the other switch that is part of another 3 way switch setup that is in the same 2 gang box?

I'm going to have an electrician buddy take care of all of my switch installation but want to know what to order and what not to order from Control4 parts before he gets here so I'm needing some advice on what can be done with Control4 components in some areas...

Order the dimmer and she your electrician the wiring schematic. It won't be a problem for him.

Would I need a dimmer or can I just use a switch? (it's only on/off for this light)

The reason I ask is I have 4 switches on the way for similar scenarios... I did just hook up one switch tonight that replaced an inwall timer switch and was super easy since all 4 wires were identical. However, in that 3 gang box, I believe the neutral was tapped off of the neutral (white) in the 3 gang box as was the ground. It's again a simple on/off circuit so I was hoping to pull off the same situation in the other boxes by just tapping off the white/neutral and the green/ground already in the box controlling some other 3 ways...

Archived