C4 Forums | Control4

Carrier nightmare

Hey guys after 9 phone calls with carrier tech support i am about to lose my mind. I am intergrating 6 carrier infinity zones into a project, we have three SAM modules to control the 6 zones, two zones per SAM.. I have them plugged into an I/O extender and am running 2.1.1 Ive imported three carrier module drivers and six carrier infinity tstat drivers into the project and made the bindings..the most I can get to work is one zone, for some reason I Cannot get any other zones to work, and the one zone I can get to work is constant working so its not like I can take that one down then another one works...

My questions:

If the zone identification number somewhere on each tstat since you can address upto sixteen zones or is it just a way to seperate them software wise ? Ive gone threw each carrier screen on each tstat and see no "zone" number?

Do I need a null modem adapter, I cant seem to get an answer from carrier, I am not using one with them and the one zone does work but who knows, im reaching here?

Is there a maximum length for the serial cables? They are pre-terminated 15' cables.

Any other ideas???

Thanks Guys, I am one super frustrated dealer!

• 2 years later...

Rejuvenating this old thread...I'm also trying to integrate with a customer's Carrier Infinity system, using the SAM module.  I believe that I have the serial cable physically connected properly, however I'm not getting any proper temperature readings from the thermostats (tried setting them from zone #1 to zone#8...with same results...they all just show 72 degrees F)

Has anyone successfully integrated to Carrier Infinity using Control4's driver?  If so, any pointers?

Hi chopedogg88, i have successfully integrated a Carrier Infinity system using a SAM module into a control4 system using their drivers. First I assume you have status LEDs lit on the Sam module (need to have cover off)? SAM can not be connected as tcp/ip at the same time as serial, only serial or ip, not both at the same time. Are you using a straight though serial cable? also you have installed both the carrier infinity thermostat driver and the carrier infinity network driver into your project? have you tried debug mode in the carrier infinity network driver?

Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry for my slow response.

How would I know if I'm connected via TCP/IP?  I have only plugged a serial cable from the 800 to the SAM...no Ethernet cable.  Is there some other way to connect via IP?

Should I be using a straight through serial cable or a crossover?

I have installed both the network and thermostat drivers, and I did try debug mode...can't really tell what is going on though.

I believe it was a straight though cable that I used. Also serial cable should not be more than 6 feet. I assume you bound your carrier network driver to the serial port on a controller that you are using? also did you bind the carrier network driver to the carrier thermostat driver?

you should be running it serial and as long as there is no network cable plugged into the SAM that should not be the issue, my point in mentioning that was that a SAM can be used either IP (used for carrier web based gateway, but not with control4) or serial (the only way to use with Control4) but it can not function as both simultaneously.

you are correct - looks like I needed a straight through cable.  it seems to be communicating now, however I'm still not getting any valid temperature readings from the SAM.  See attached from the debug - any ideas?  I don't like that it says "invalid or incomplete serial command".  Not sure where to go from here though.

New Text Document (2).txt

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out that all of the issues were due to the fact that the customer was running the wrong version of Carrier thermostat.  They needed to upgrade their main thermostat to a newer version and then everything started working wonderfully.  Thanks all for your help!

i would have never though of that, they should have nothing to do with each other since they run off the system bus directly and are not passing though each other? each communicate directly to the main furnace control board via the bus. i would expect the thermostat to not communicate at all if it was an incorrect version? unless they were trying to run it with a non carrier thermostat? still should not have interfered with SAM, glad you got it figured out though.

• 1 year later...

When you said "turns out that all of the issues were due to the fact that the customer was running the wrong version of Carrier thermostat"..... Do you mean they had to change/buy a new themosat? The said wrong version.....

I am having an issue that my Carrier/Bryant Evolutions and C4 in that my C4 system is not pulling in current temp but they can change temps. This seems odd to me.

Archived