C4 Forums | Control4

Single tap vs. Press command

drmark12pa

Is there any difference in programming using the SINGLE TAP vs. PRESS command when programming a six button keypad to turn on/off a light or it essentially the same function? I have tried both and the PRESS is markedly quicker than the SINGLE TAP.

However, my concern would be that if you program the PRESS function that it's in a continuous PRESS state and never really RELEASED if that makes sense. I know I have programmed my dimmers for the PRESS and RELEASE functions simulataneously but wasnt' sure if it's ok to do just the PRESS function for a simple light switch without creating some loop of sorts.....

If using a 6 Button for lights, in the Connection tab you can link the button to the light and it is far quicker. If you don't have Composer Pro, you should use the "Press" it is significantly faster than Single Tap.

Does anyone have ComposerPro if you aren't a dealer? I don't see any way to link/bind the button to the light in ComposerHE which is what I believe all home users have.... unless you know of some way to get Pro I would love to know!

Does anyone have ComposerPro if you aren't a dealer? I don't see any way to link/bind the button to the light in ComposerHE which is what I believe all home users have.... unless you know of some way to get Pro I would love to know!

You are correct. ComposerPro is only available to dealers.

RyanE

The problem is that you cannot use single tap or double tap or triple tap on that button if you use press.

Bill

Bill' date='

Does the PRESS make it a one push button function only then basically without ability to function with 2 or 3 taps?[/quote']

I believe that is true -

I have several6 buttons and programmed PRESS for several things and two taps and three taps for other things and always seemed to get the PRESS option no matter what I did - my dealer called tech support and they told him that PRESS made it so that you cannot use 2 tap and 3 tap options. if you want to use 2 tap and 3 tap then you need to NOT use PRESS and use 1 tap instead.

That is what we were told and I have been happy since.

Bill

The problem is that you cannot use single tap or double tap or triple tap on that button if you use press.

Bill

Bill' date='

Does the PRESS make it a one push button function only then basically without ability to function with 2 or 3 taps?[/quote']

I believe that is true -

I have several6 buttons and programmed PRESS for several things and two taps and three taps for other things and always seemed to get the PRESS option no matter what I did - my dealer called tech support and they told him that PRESS made it so that you cannot use 2 tap and 3 tap options. if you want to use 2 tap and 3 tap then you need to NOT use PRESS and use 1 tap instead.

That is what we were told and I have been happy since.

Bill

The thing is, with Press, if you have Double/Tripple tap, they will execute the "pressed" programming as well, (twice with the tripple tap).

The thing is, with Press, if you have Double/Tripple tap, they will execute the "pressed" programming as well, (twice with the tripple tap).

If you think about it this behavior makes sense.

When the switch is figuring out what to do with either singletap/doubletap/tripletap, it has to wait. It has to wait long enough until it decides a single tap is a single tap and not a double (or triple) tap. Hence, the delay which I think I read was maybe one second, or .4 seconds, or something. Point is, the switch needs to know when a tap or series of taps has ended, and the only way to determine this is to wait until its internal timer expires. That is why there is always a delay in responding to taps.

Press, on the other hand, requires no waiting and hence suffers no delay. Once a switch is pressed, it can respond immediately.

So it stands to reason if a switch has press commands and tap commands associated with it, it will do the press command immediately while waiting for the taps to end, and then will execute any tap command.

Archived