C4 Forums | Control4

Blue Iris Integration?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got Blue Iris on sale, and there is discussion here about it but not much.  Anybody have any recent experiences to share?  I want to integrate cameras as much as possible with C4, but the whole camera integration thing seems to be more for real time viewing.  Is this correct thinking?  Blue Iris would be more of a separate piece for archiving?

Not sure why you would do that. Why not connect to the camera direct?

That doesn't do anything for proper and robust archiving unless I'm missing something?

To be clear I'm already looking at cameras just fine on touchscreens, iOS, Android, etc through C4 integration.

But you can send the video to both c4 and blue iris at the same time

That's basically what I'm asking.  Is there a reason why Blue Iris would not be sufficient for archiving in a C4 environment, or do you want to go with something like SecuritySpy because of some reason you want that for C4 that makes Blue Iris less desirable?

Let me try to clarify further, my understanding is Control4 is getting better at supporting more and more cameras natively. A lot of the reason for Security Spy integration through Extra Vegetables was to increase the types of cameras that work with Control4.  So that's not a big deal as much now right?  Nothing against Security Spy, but you need a Mac and I don't have one.  So it seems that Blue Iris gets me the archiving that Control4 "lacks" but it won't interfere with Control4 integration?

Anything I'm missing?  Any better solutions?

Thank you sir!  For some reason most of the posts are fairly old on this topic or my searching terms aren't right.  Getting exterior IP cameras going is the last big thing I need to do with C4 on my setup.  I can get Blue Iris going now with my internal Panasonic cameras and move on to exterior later.

I wrote a Blue Iris driver awhile back. Here is some information on it

The driver assumes that the default camera "short name" in Blue Iris is "Cam1" through "Cam9." If you need more than 9, you can just modify the driver. The driver will also allow you to display a grid with full streaming video.  To get this to work, you must use the group function in Blue Iris. To get the groups to work, I just added cameras to groups and names them "Group1" and "Group2." The driver is looking for those group names. You can modify the driver if you desire different group names.

The driver has been updated with the latest driver improvements and only will work with 2.5.3 and beyond. It does support H264 for mobile devices. You may need to adjust your Blue Iris quality settings to get the best streaming results. The speed of your PC will also impact the performance within Control4.

-David

Blue_Iris.zip

• 1 month later...

I honestly hadn't seen that David had written this driver, coincidentally it only worked because of the communication and efforts that I had put into resolving a few issues that Blue Iris server had with Control4.  In either case,  I know that the "cats out of the bag", which is why I introduced my blue iris driver this week.  It is a fully baked driver with many properties, events, and actions.  It supports all cameras that you can add to blue iris, with full PTZ controls, as well as virtual codes, location trigger events, and ability to trigger and change blue iris camera and profiles.  I have sent David a license, and I hope that he will support my efforts in this.  Please see my other thread for more information.  The more support we get from the control4 community, the more features we will get support on from Ken at Blue Iris.

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/16307-blue-iris-finally-a-windows-nvr-that-works-like-security-spy/

Thanks,

Adam

• 1 month later...

Here is an update version of the Blue Iris driver I wrote a couple years ago. I modified it to allow you to enter the camera name in the driver itself rather than having a separate driver for every camera.

This is just a basic viewing only driver. If you are looking for advanced features, check out the other Blue Iris thread.

-David

camera_dw_ip_http_BlueIris.zip

• 11 months later...

Having issues getting this working, ive setuo cams in blue iris. confirmed ip port credentials and streams in browser on seperate tablet.  can never get stream in control4 to work. best ive gotten is error missing gstreamer. im 4+ hours in on this, really frustrated, any assistance would be appreciated.

Finally found some settings on the houselogix PDF that got me rolling... So now my question is, why does the quality suck so bad in C4 compared to everywhere else?  Can I change this? I've been noodling around in Blue Iris, and camera firmware, not much seems to affect the C4 stream.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.