C4 Forums | Control4

Blue Iris: Finally a Windows NVR that works like Security Spy.

Dear Friends,

I have been working on this project for over three years, and have been awaiting to release it, because I needed time to finish and document.  In recent posts by others, it has been publicized that Blue Iris NVR software works with Control4, this is not cooincidence, and it is what has prompted me to release my driver today.

About the software:  Blue Iris software is similar to Security Spy, which most of you are familiar with, yet Blue Iris runs on a Windows PC.  There are other key benefits to the software that Security Spy doesn't offer, such as H.264 streaming.  Overall the software is very good, and the mobile apps are extraordinary in their own merit.  The creator of Blue Iris, Ken Pletzer, is very responsive to supporting his software, and has worked with me over the past few years to ensure that the webserver is compatible with Control4, this has required a few improvements and fixes on his end at times, and I am thankful for his help.  My driver is in no way affiliated with Blue Iris directly, and all support question on my driver should be sent to Adam@audioobsessions.com.

About the Driver:  The Driver is an encrypted and licensed driver, for which I will be giving away the first 10 licenses, after which I will charge $50 for the next 10, afterwhich, I will set the final price.  Feedback is encouraged, remote support is available for a fee.  If you would like a license, please send me your mac address of director, as well as what cameras you have, and what server you intend on using.

What is special about the Driver:  The driver allows you to trigger things based on location press, as well gives you the ability to utilize a virtual keypad for a 4 digit 1-9 code.  This driver software can and will likely be embedded in more camera drivers as need be, and is what makes my driver different than createing a basic one with just url streams.  Additionally the driver is capable of Pan Tilt Zoom and Presets, all video codecs are supported JPEG, MJPEG, H.264, H.264i, and the image is properly scalled outside of navigator which allows for a much better user experience and rendering.  There are also events that allow for triggering cameras, and profiles, this will allow you to create push notifications using the Blue Iris app, when someone presses the doorbell, or trips the driveway sensor, etc.  For more information, please download and see the documentation.

The driver requires 2.6.0, a 2.5.3 driver may be made available on special request.

Please Respond with Questions and Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Adam@audioobsessions.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait to try it. I have been looking for a windows solution like this for 2 years.

The funny thing is I have been using blue iris for years but it I was not at all able to find a way to integrate. The iphone app for blue iris is very nice.

So far this driver is excellent. I have it setup on my 4 camera system and it works great. Programing the light to turn on when a camera is selected after dark is perfect. Will post back with more observations as I use it more. 

Programing the light to turn on when a camera is selected after dark is perfect. 

Sounds fantastic.  What about triggering the flood lights when motion is detected?  Seems like it would be able to do that too.

What type of hardware and video card are you using for Blue Iris to record/watch your ip cams?  Trying to gauage whether to use it or the NVR...  I'm assuming you have a HDMI out going into the matrix to show as an output but also on your computer?

Sounds fantastic.  What about triggering the flood lights when motion is detected?  Seems like it would be able to do that too.

I have that setup now that you suggested it. I am using the Request from web service in the Blue Iris software and Ryan E's Web Events Driver in C4.

It is a very nice feature as someone approaches the front door -> BI senses motion and sends the command to C4 to activate the light. 

IF front door light is Off 

IF it is Night Time.

Turn On front door light

Delay 5minutes 

Turn Off front door light 

What type of hardware and video card are you using for Blue Iris to record/watch your ip cams?  Trying to gauage whether to use it or the NVR...  I'm assuming you have a HDMI out going into the matrix to show as an output but also on your computer?

I am actually running Blue Iris on my 2011 iMac. 16GB Memory with the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2048MB of VRAM. The Blue Iris Database is on a Thunderbolt external 2TB drive. 

It is running in Parallels Desktop 10 on a Windows 7 virtual machine.

I have Audio Obsessions Blue Iris Driver setup so I can see my cameras from any Control4 Interface (on screen, iPad, iPhone, etc). For a quick look at the cameras I typically use the Blue Iris App. It is easy to see who is at the door, especially with the Push Notifications that Blue Iris provides. I do not have the iMac setup to a matrix. 

One feature I am really excited about is the virtual keypad Audio Obsessions incorporated into their driver. I typically work from home and have the Control4 for PC and Mac Adobe Air program up all the time to see my cameras. Now, when someone is at the door I can quickly click on the image (virtual keypad) with my combination 1234 and unlock the door for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone, whom I gave or offered a license too, please do not update to the new driver, as the licensing has changed..  Email me directly and I will get you a new license.  I will not be giving out any more freebies, but thank you to the early adopters.  Also, I probably can;t issue them Till monday, as I will be away this weekend, also if you do download the new driver, don't cycle director, as it should update the old, and will start a 48 hour countdown.

Finally got time to set it up.  Just amazing integration with Blue Iris.  For the last year I would skip using the C4 app when looking at cameras, the Blue Iris app was way faster from withing my network and from the outside, now I don't need it.  I have 5 non HD Foscams which are not the greatest but do the job.

It drives me crazy when Canada Post delivery people wait 2 seconds before they drive off with your package because you didn't make it to the door quick enough to sign.   I now set up a touch overlay on the Control4 app, so when I see them knocking I can touch the screen and send an announcement to the front door audio endpoint saying, "someone will be right with you!"

I setup the front door with the code overlay so I can open the Yale locks; it works so fast.  I also setup a Blue Iris motion sensing on the baby monitor.  If a lot of movement is detected in the babies crib, meaning she might be waking up, I get notified.  I can see what she is doing and right on the screen I can tap to launch the ocean sleep sound she likes to get back to sleep.  I want to have full control of this because it only works 50% of the time and the other times it makes it worst.   I can see her reaction in real time and if its not working I can quickly turn it off right on the camera screen; no need for switching back and forth through the C4 app.  

I will be also using the basement camera to setup an overlay on a crappy humidifier I have that only has IR controls, the IR signal for on and off is the same.  I will now be able to send the IR signal through the C4/BI overlay and verify, by looking at the camera, when it is on ON and OFF.  It will save me so much time navigating to different screens. I know its a half ass workaround but I don't use it very often.

I will keep reading the posts to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Archived