C4 Forums | Control4

Strange problem with Chowmain license statuses

jfh

40 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

it depends how you look at it - rebooting brings down everything else - but just running drivers actions don't.  true SSH'ing in and typing reboot is pretty simple, but you are down for a few minutes

Note that I stated to EXECUTE

37 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

No other software I own needs to be "validated" more then once unless I'm doing something like an update. Once I install and it's running I typically block all further communication which has never been an issue

I sincerely doubt that you're blocking things then - you'd be surprised how many things check in once a day if not more than once a day. Your phone, your computer/OS, game systems, any number of licensed software, any number of non-licensed software. Almost all of them actually. And 90% of those at the very least will cause you a 'problem' in that they'll pop up and tell you there is no communication.

It's all also completely beside the point - it should simply be able to check and confirm it's all good. And it SOUNDS like there is an issue there, but even if so it could be caused by a number of things.

Also you're all assuming it deactivates on first failure to check in - all based on ONE system having issues. While an authentication issue seems likely, it's also VERY possible that that authentication issue is an EFFECT not a CAUSE.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

I sincerely doubt that you're blocking things then - you'd be surprised how many things check in once a day if not more than once a day. Your phone, your computer/OS, game systems, any number of licensed software, any number of non-licensed software. Almost all of them actually. And 90% of those at the very least will cause you a 'problem' in that they'll pop up and tell you there is no communication.

It's all also completely beside the point - it should simply be able to check and confirm it's all good. And it SOUNDS like there is an issue there, but it could be caused by a number of things.

Also you're all assuming it deactivates on first failure to check in - all based on ONE system having issues. While an authentication issue seems likely, it's also VERY possible that that authentication issue is an EFFECT not a CAUSE.

I've got a fairly large Hosts file blocking a ton of stuff, I am sure I've missed some stuff thats getting through but I do my best to block them. 

If I obtained it legally by paying for it it should simply be able to work if I decide I don't want my controller talking outside of my home. But I get your point just dont 100% agree with it.

You are correct it could very well be an EFFECT not a CAUSE doesn't change the fact that if it doesn't authenticate it stops working. Seems like it should, and maybe it does, still work for x hours/days in an offline state so it doesn't affect someones system so drastically. 

Just heard from HL support that their developers and Chowmain are working to get the issue resolved.  No indication if this is somehow unique to my system.  I wasn't asked to provide any system/license info so I guess I'm not the only one (potentially) impacted.

16 hours ago, cdepaola said:

I also think we are seeing this happen with more drivers such as the Synapse Follow-me driver.

Yeah, that one is getting a little irritating.  It would be nice if there was more someone at Houselogix could do.  I think its pretty much all Phil right now.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem I experienced is apparently rare, but I'm not the first to have it.  The Chowmain drivers involved have been updated with a change to authentication that should mitigate the issue.  I've had three reboots since the updates and every instance that should be active shows active without any user intervention.  Not a large sample size, but an encouraging one.

To elaborate we had some issues which came up in August last year spontaneously.  We applied a fix to some of our drivers as a trial but the issue disappeared and has not appeared until Jim's system.  Which is weird because we have several thousand projects running our drivers checking in every day.

Anyway the drivers now will force a retry if it gets anything weird from the servers that's unexpected which is what has resolved jim's issue (ie same as resetting the licence but automatically).

Archived