C4 Forums | Control4

Tidal driver bugs

I have been using the Tidal driver for the last day or two and am impressed (In their native form, I prefer Apple Music or Spotify to Tidal as they seem to have greater coverage of the music I listen to and less errors with artist names / album artwork) but I am very impressed with the Tidal integration to C4 (more on that in another post).  I possibly even prefer Tidal on C4 to the native Tidal app. 

There are numerous little bugs in the Tidal driver.  As I think this is a C4 driver rather than a third party driver (may be wrong), I am posting my findings here in the hope someone from C4 picks up on these :-):

1. On the iPad C4 app, the What’s New button populates with gibberish and looks silly as a consequence.  This is fine on the T3s.

2. The play bar at the bottom disappears when in Tidal on iOS (iPad anyway - have not tested the iPhone).

3. If you create a playlist it appears under a menu item called “playlists created by me”. These are not accessible in Tidal outside of C4, nor are they accessible from programming.  To get them accessible by C4 programming (or in native Tidal) you have to select the playlist and add it to the library. While this is cumbersome, it may have some merit.  The bug being that as soon as you add one of your own playlists to the library, you get a Lua error popping up.  All seems to be fine if you ignore the error...

4. If one goes in and out of the Tidal menus a couple of times, some of the menu items stop working.

5. If you have different Tidal streams playing in different rooms using the same driver (quite cool as I have managed to get 3 different streams working from one account, one driver),  the progress bar on the iOS C4 app jumps back and forth between the 3 different progress entries rather than sticking with the one playing in the current room (artwork, song and album name all work perfectly).

6. Cannot delete items from “Playlists created by me” without going into the native Tidal app.  The 2 sets of playlists in ones library seem to link together as 1 playlist  in the native app. Some thought / development needed here.

Then, some obvious missing items:

1. An auto rooms option could be nice (for first stream played only or there would be chaos).

2. An auto room off option would be nice.

3. There is no progress bar in the T3 - although there is on the iOS C4 app... I guess this is an OS issue rather than a driver thing.

4. The iPad has more real estate, so should always display things better than the T3... however, the top menu (library, what’s new etc.) renders better on the T3. There is lots of wasted / blank space on the iPad version and then an extra pull down menu which should not be needed!

If anyone at C4 wants more comments or a Beta tester... happy to volunteer! :huh:

All that said, I am very impressed with Tidal and have subscribed and may well stop my Apple Music subscription as a consequence...

Update: also tested Deezer and while I prefer Tidal (more artist artwork available on Tidal - these are noticeably missing on Deezer), there appear to be slightly less bugs on the C4 Deezer driver (although some of the above are there also) and the fact that you can choose ‘similar artists’ from inside C4 on Deezer is a cool feature as is the Flows option.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Nice line on the Beta Tester !!!! 

We are using Sonos - Alexa - Amazon Music - Plus our Library all via voice control (Uploaded our music library to amazon). 

Working well, with good feed back to T3 via the sonos driver  

:-)

Definitely need to try that.  With the launch of Spotify (many years late) in South Africa last week, I decided to move to Spotify and although the interface with C4 is neat, I was disappointed when I realized that I was getting Spotify Connect and not Spotify... so have been playing around a bit (and will continue to do so as I have a free month of Tidal, 15 days of Deezer and an Apple Music subscription).  Hopefully Amazon Music is a) available in SA and b ) offers a free test... that will be my next test!

17 hours ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

Just FYI, you can't use Apple Music on Control4 natively, you would need a 3rd party player that supports it (eg. Sonos - but then the Sonos integration isn't great - no search allowed)

Indeed. I have found the best is to use the iTunes driver which lets you access all songs you have downloaded to a PC on your network... but not quite the same things as Native Apple Music (would love Native Apple Music or native Spotify - not Connect - as they do seem to be the 2 best Streaming Services).

• 11 months later...

Archived