C4 Forums | Control4

Why can't I firmware upgrade?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can reasonable people around here understand that this might appear to an end users as "forced" obsolescence of that HC200?

What specifically about 2.10 renders an HC200 unable to provide it's basic control functionality? (like sending IR commands to devices for example) ?

thank you.

W

They stopped supporting it. That’s why. Same reason my kids original iPad Minis stopped updating at firmware 9. It’s end of life.

Call Control4 and ask them. They’re the ones that made the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing you are trying to go beyond 2.9.1? Hc200, hc300, hc500 were finally left in the past where future firmware updates are no longer supported. From just a strict IO standpoint, they could have continued to allow them to work but it hindered future OS rollouts in efficiency for R&D to keep antiquated gear in the loop. And before you ask, I am on 2.9.1 because I have 2 hc300s in my project and updating isn't something I care about at the moment and will cross that bridge when I see the true benefit

4 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

They stopped supporting it. That’s why. Same reason my kids original iPad Minis stopped updating at firmware 9. It’s end of life.

Call Control4 and ask them. They’re the ones that made the decision.

No problem.

I'll just remove the HC200's out of the system sell them and control those rooms with an entirely  different product.

Too easy

Cheers...

Sure.. No problem but some around here seem to think there is no "forced obsolescence" that's all..
Clearly there is...
this proves it

Are you bitching in the Apple forums that’s your iPhone 4 isn’t running iOS 11?

Go fight with someone else.

4 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Are you bitching in the Apple forums that’s your iPhone 4 isn’t running iOS 11?

Go fight with someone else.

No.

I am (what you term) "bitching" about the misinformation around here...

It has been said Control4 doesn't "force" upgrades..

Here we have a situation where an upgrade of (other gear) in my project doesn't proceed whilst that HC200 is in my project....

This is in effect forcing me to remove that HC200 in order to upgrade my other controllers is it not? 

No. I am (what you term) "bitching" about the misinformation around here...

It has been said Control4 doesn't "force" upgrades..

Here we have a situation where an upgrade of (other gear) in my project doesn't proceed whilst that HC200 is in my project....

This is in effect forcing me to remove that HC200 to upgrade my other controllers is it not? 

No, it’s not. It’s working and running fine. Is it not?

Just like your old iPhone is working and running fine. Do you bitch and moan to Apple that your old iPhone doesn’t support the enhanced Apple messages or Apple Pay?

9 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

No, it’s not. It’s working and running fine. Is it not?

Just like your old iPhone is working and running fine. Do you bitch and moan to Apple that your old iPhone doesn’t support the enhanced Apple messages or Apple Pay?

Failure to Upgrade my old ipads or iphones doesn't stop all my new macbook pros from upgrading...

OK..Lets flip this around...

What company would be so stupid to force a customer to try out different room control (the need to remove the HC200) ...

In order to upgrade everything else...?

That just forces them to try something different... another opposition product entirely...

Wouldn't you just allow the upgrade of everything else to proceed and isolate that older gear on older firmware??

7 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

What?

That I have to remove a perfectly good controller in one room...to use all the other features of my platform in full (that are in not dependent on that HC200)...?

How long do you feel is acceptable to continue supporting controllers 2 generations prior? They were released in os1.8 and a lot has changed from then to 2.9.1 and their ability to run director was killed off so long ago already so I am surprised they kept them in the loop as long as they did. They have changed the entire OS to android, so my assumption is that they are gearing towards changes on the fundamental level that the previous controllers just aren't going to hang. At some point you have to take the old horse around back of the barn and shoot it, seems they chose now

Just now, sonic30101 said:

How long do you feel is acceptable to continue supporting controllers 2 generations prior? They were released in os1.8 and a lot has changed from then to 2.9.1 and their ability to run director was killed off so long ago already so I am surprised they kept them in the loop as long as they did. They have changed the entire OS to android, so my assumption is that they are gearing towards changes on the fundamental level that the previous controllers just aren't going to hang. At some point you have to take the old horse around back of the barn and shoot it, seems they chose now

Sure I get that..

But this is an old device in the project inhibiting the upgrade of everything else..

Why? What technical reason is there for that?

7 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

OK..Lets flip this around...

What company would be so stupid to force a customer to try out different room control (the need to remove the HC200) ...

In order to upgrade everything else...?

That just forces them to try something different... another opposition product entirely...

Wouldn't you just allow the upgrade of everything else to proceed and isolate that older gear on older firmware??

Maybe but they can't run director or may not have licenses andway and project to project communication isn't really feasible

4 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Maybe but they can't run director or may not have licenses andway and project to project communication isn't really feasible

Well if that is the case, that in my opinion is a massive flaw in Director....

3 minutes ago, Pounce said:

You can afford the change. Why do you resist the change, old fashioned ideas that products like a washing machine should last your lifetime?

Because I am a man of principle and fairness..

Is it actually legal to make a consumer upgrade, remove or replace one device in a hardware platform in order to use all the other devices in that "platform" to the best of their ability?   

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

Because I am a man of principle and fairness..

Is it actually legal to make a consumer upgrade, remove or replace one device in a hardware platform in order to use all the other devices in that "platform" to the best of their ability?   

Yes.

You should consider getting out of capitalism. 

Archived