C4 Forums | Control4

Why can't I firmware upgrade?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ILoveC4 said:

I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean this is the answer?.. "Have you ever thought of the principal that a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. That’s the case here."

No.
Kindly please answer my question (with a logical explanation) 
thank you

Here it is again:

Because HC200 was announced (via email and the website) that it was EOL. It isn’t compatible with 2.10. So it runs 2.9. Now the other gear is compatible with 2.10, but 2.10 isn’t compatible with 2.9. Therefore you can’t have a 2.9 controller in a 2.10 project.

But of course you know all this, and get some sick twisted pleasure out of arguing petty stupid details with random people on the internet. You don’t want a real answer...you want a fight. If you wanted a real answer you’d ask the person that made the decision.

Good lord...

You mean this is the answer?.. "Have you ever thought of the principal that a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. That’s the case here."

That wasn’t what I was referring to, but yes - that works also. If you’re able to grasp that concept that is...

Huh?
For nothing?
So it's acceptable to just do this is it?
To just have an end customer of a product sit there for months looking forward to all the new features of an upgrade and when they go to well "upgrade" nobody tells them one HC200 is going to stop the entire upgrade..
Nobody..
Not on this forum..or by any other means..
Not why?
Not how?
Not what they have to do...(to plan for it in advance)...
No emails no explanation.. nothing..
Let alone... (goodness forbid) a product discount...
To just "accept it.. "..

They did announce the controller was EOL. They don’t control this forum. This forum isn’t an official place for them to announce anything. They communicated it to their dealers, whose job it is to communicate to their customers. You know all this though as well.

Seriously...you hate Control4 so bad why are you here? Why don’t you reach out to Control4?

4 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Here it is again:

"Because HC200 was announced (via email and the website) that it was EOL." 

Ok Thanks. I have just checked my email and searched back like 6 months and can't seem to see one referring to this. And rarely visit the Control4 website as I don't find it particularly useful... anyway. Thanks...

"It isn’t compatible with 2.10. So it runs 2.9. Now the other gear is compatible with 2.10, but 2.10 isn’t compatible with 2.9. Therefore you can’t have a 2.9 controller in a 2.10 project."

Ok. Thanks for that. Didn't  know that.

"But of course you know all this...."

Actually I didn't. Now I do. Appreciate it... 

NOBODY told me an HC200 wouldn't run on 2.10

Or would stop the upgrade of all other controllers.

Ok?

So now we have that out of the way, 

Why is it that controllers like the HC200 and HC300 on 2.9 won't specifically work with those say running director on 2.10? and be "compatible"...And visa versa

Is this a technical issue with software? Hardware? what exactly is the reason..?

I believe this is important. I'd like to know whether the same issue will effect future controllers.. 

Say my HC800 in coming months etc..

I'd like a technical explanation.

So I can plan for the future.

Thanks

The irony here is that even in 2012 you were posting on this forum saying HC200's were outdated. You actually recommended to people on this forum to not buy them.

Does your dealer respond to questions about end of life?

8 minutes ago, Pounce said:

The irony here is that even in 2012 you were posting on this forum saying HC200's were outdated. You actually recommended to people on this forum to not buy them.

Does your dealer respond to questions about end of life?

Huh?

Why is that "Ironic"?

I probably said that knowing the HC250 was hot on the tail and available at the time..(even though the HC200 was still "selling")...

If I did say that I had no idea "why" the HC200 was outdated back in 2012..

I'm trying to get to the bottom of why they actually become "outdated"...

Do you know why?

24 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Notice that you posted in that thread.

Controllers:

Controllers:

ALL controllers older than the HC250/800 will now need to be REMOVED to go to 2.10

In other words, only HC250, HC800, EA-1, EA-3 and EA-5 can be in the system – all of them can RUN a system, but note that the HC250 cannot handle Spotify Connect (if running as a director).

The arguable exception is the I/O Extender ‘controllers’ as both V1 and V2 are fully supported, HOWEVER they will operate on a release version of 2.9.1, though that has no impact on their function. Note that these I/O units may well get updated later on if/as required.

Ok so you mean this bit above^ .. (I have highlighted it here now)...

Yep I did comment on that thread but I missed the important bit... (now highlighted).

Interesting how I missed it.. 

Was probably excited about Spotify connect and assumed the thread had something to do with that..

My HC200 is in a room where Spotify connect is irrelevant...

So I missed it..

I simply didn't read it..

Interesting...

So what is your point?

That I deliberately make shit up?

If i knew -  I knew..

I didn't...

6 minutes ago, CFUG said:

The internet is full of garbage and misinformation.  The goal is use reputable sources for your information.  A quality dealer could have told why your system won't update.  Mine did.

I actually don't know why.. So why is it? Specifics?? 

My point is that it is respectful in a forum to use the search. I just want to show you that the information existed in this forum and you read at least one of the threads with the info. It also means you could have found it in a search. People here are posting out of good will. You are abusing that good will whether you realize it or not. Also, since you have a dealer you should be using them.

3 minutes ago, Pounce said:

My point is that it is respectful in a forum to use the search. I just want to show you that the information existed in this forum and you read at least one of the threads with the info. It also means you could have found it in a search. People here are posting out of good will. You are abusing that good will whether you realize it or not. Also, since you have a dealer you should be using them.

Sure. Fair point..Now that is cleared up,

Why is it that controllers older than HC250/800 have to be removed to upgrade to 2.10?

Why?

4 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Guessing you are trying to go beyond 2.9.1? Hc200, hc300, hc500 were finally left in the past where future firmware updates are no longer supported. From just a strict IO standpoint, they could have continued to allow them to work but it hindered future OS rollouts in efficiency for R&D to keep antiquated gear in the loop. And before you ask, I am on 2.9.1 because I have 2 hc300s in my project and updating isn't something I care about at the moment and will cross that bridge when I see the true benefit

Hi Sonic can you keep me in the loop when you decide to upgrade?

I need to find out just why it is is something as simple as an HC200 in one room pushing a few IR codes would not be supported by the company... (and therefore stop such an an important upgrade such as to 2.10 right across an entire project)....

They'd surely know controllers like this are end cycled down the line into low grade rooms all the time......

.. must be very common practice...

I'd like to know exactly why it doesn't work on 2.10......

Is this a fundamental limiting problem with director/linux/lua etc... or the mesh.. or ethernet speeds or what?

Why?

thanks

I quote CYKnight in his thread.. "In other words, only HC250, HC800, EA-1, EA-3 and EA-5 can be in the system – all of them can RUN a system, but note that the HC250 cannot handle Spotify Connect (if running as a director).

The arguable exception is the I/O Extender ‘controllers’ as both V1 and V2 are fully supported, HOWEVER they will operate on a release version of 2.9.1, though that has no impact on their function. Note that these I/O units may well get updated later on if/as required."

Ok so what is it about the HC200's and HC300's that are "so slow", so out of date or that "2.9 won't work with 2.10" as I have been told... or that the hardware is so bad in these that they can't still operate?? When the I/O extender can?

How is it that the I/O can run on 2.9.1 along with 2.10 but the HC200 can't? I thought it had been said in this thread 2.10 "isn't compatible" with 2.9?

Is the hardware in an HC200 or 300 slower and more out of date, or worse than it is in that I/O extender?

Or could it be that it is something as simple as Control4 couldn't (or didn't want to, or didn't want to pay for) to update these controllers with a Spotify license? 

I mean this just does not make sense to me...that the I/O extender will work along side 2.10 (and can be upgraded), but the HC200 can't...

(Note  I am just postulating here... because I don't know the answer...)

But I would like an honest one.

Thank You. 

Ask Control4. Wait...they’ve probably blocked all communication from you. There’s not enough money in the world that would have me doing business with you. I’m guessing why this the reason you have such a big problem with dealers...they just quit calling you back because you pester the hell out of them. Or are you one of these guys that is actually respectful in real life but becomes this monstrous troll online? I hope to never find out....

You can not update because the HC-200 was discontinued 6 years ago. It would not make financial sense for them to continue developing newer software for them. In the world of technology, 6 years is a REALLY long time. There are many other manufacturers who would have stopped updating them after a year or two, so just be happy they have been supported as long as they have. I would be willing to bet that the old hardware does not have the power to handle all of the new features in the newer software without being really slow and buggy. I would also be willing to bet you would be one of the first to complain about your system being slow. 

I have a Bluray player that is 3 years old, and has not had firmware updates in 2.5 years. Would I like to have the features that some of the newer players have? Absolutely, but I also realize that technology changes rapidly, and companies cannot afford to continue updating their software forever.

Control4 is one of the best technology companies on the market about supporting older hardware. Look at what happened to customers with Litetouch after Savant bought them. Lighting is one of those products you don't expect to ever have to replace. I have a customer with about 50 Litetouch keypads and 40 dimming/switching modules, and they have been SOL as things have been dying, so we are slowly replacing things with Control4 panelized lighting, because Savant no longer supports them.

Archived