C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad Dimmer Backlight Behavior

Hi All
I was burning the midnight oil and I noticed this in my kitchen.  This is 2 of 4 in a bank of switches.  I looked at the properties of all the dimmers and switches in this bank and they are all set to DIM for a Dark Room.
When I click customize, they All show 0 ambient light, except for this guy which shows 94.

If i turn all the lights they all the others come up to bright, if I cover the sensor for the switch on the right it goes back to dim.  If i cover the sensor on left it doesn't adjust.

additionally is there a way to make this particular bank All Bright all the time?  Would like to figure out the answer to both questions.

When the lights first turn off.

1599089459_PhotoJan2661155AM.thumb.jpg.98844eecfd78487ad214218083472775.jpg

After the lights have been off a few seconds

158351605_PhotoJan2661203AM.thumb.jpg.306fe5611369ba57292e951aeb2b67bd.jpg

I have this exact same issue (and ironically my keypads look like they're in the same orientation as yours, with the non-working one on the left).  I wish there was a way to link the keypads on ambient light level so they'd at least be in sync, or a way to programmatically set it when the "main keypad" backlight level changes.  Then if it really were a sensor failure, you could use the keypad that has the good sensor, and regardless of what happened, at least they'd look consistent while sitting together in the same multiple-gang box.

do you think it has anything to do with the orientation and that sensor catching extra light from its neighbors?  Might be an interesting experiment to switch them temporarily and see what happens.

Probably just a bad sensor at this point though.

No, i think that it's coincidence, but that being said, I haven't tried changing the location, so I can't say for sure.  I did mess around a little with customizing the ambient light settings on the faulty unit, and basically could see very little change in ambient light with the room lights on / off.  Not sure if the sensors can get dirty, or if there's something else...

• 1 year later...

I think this is due to the fact you're using all 6 buttons on the left and the sensor is catching some of the backlight. On another thread, someone said it doesn't seem to be a problem when using the Up/Down buttons. I've noticed it's a problem on the fan control, which seems to have a bottom backlit button as well. I think it may be a design flaw. With my engravings came a bottom ambient light bar that had a piece of black plastic instead of clear. I believe this is provided for this specific purpose. I literally just tested this and noticed it blocks most of the light. I had to put the flashlight of my phone directly up to the sensor to get it to saturate. With the clear bar, it would max out depending on the color of my backlight. If I used a red backlight, the sensor seemed to work normally. When I used an aqua backlight or white, the sensor was saturated.

IMG_2102.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.