C4 Forums | Control4

Hikvision NVR and C4 substream

Dear gang,

I was hoping that someone could help me with my issue. I think its been discussed on this forum before, but im not quite getting how to work around this issue. 

I have 6 Hikvision cameras (4MP) that connect to a DS-7608NI DVR.  Now I was hoping that i could also view the live feed through my C4 touchscreen (using a EA-3 as the master controller). 

My dealer has been trying to have the cameras record on the highest resolution 2668, but this resolution is too high for C4 to display on the touchscreen or TV (through C4). It only will show stills and no live feed. However, the live feed will display on the C4 iOS app at the higher resolution.

We lowered the resolution to 1920x1080 and now it records at a lower resolution on the NVR but can display through C4 touchpad. We are using H264+.  I find it kind of a waste that i paid for 4 MP cameras but have to settle for a lower resolution. 

I had read that it is possible to record with the highest resolution possible by designating the mainstream to the NVR but having the substream at a lower resolution and routing this to C4.  However, it seems that C4 wants to only accept the mainstream. My dealer states its not possible to designate the substream to C4 (thus allowing live viewing on the touchpad) while having the higher resolution mainstream exclusive to the NVR. He states that C4 looks for the highest resolution possible and tries to take that.  Im not sure thats actually true.

From my research on this forum, I see that it is possible to achieve (probably through a driver) this but Im not quite sure how to accomplish this.  

Would someone be so kind as to assist me with this. 

Thank you.

It all depends on what driver is being used.  If your dealer is using an NVR driver, then he is correct in that you need to lower the res on the cameras for them to be seen on all navigators.

However, he could change the driver he's using.  The generic camera driver will allow any stream available because you have to input the url for it.

I'd go the generic driver route if it was me.  Keep the high res for the NVR and the substream for c4 only.  Also will depend on what the substream is capable of for res.

You don't get a lot of features with cheap cameras, unfortunately.

Hi Lippavisual, thanks for your help on this.  I'm the integrator on this job and what I'm actually having an issue with isn't the driver for the NVR, it's the C4 Driver for the T3 Touchscreen.  The Hikvision cameras only output in H.264, so even when I set the Substream output to 720p (or even lower) the Touchscreen ignores the sub stream output and apparently latches on to the main stream output of the Hikvision cameras.  Do you know of a way to get a T3 touchscreen to only view the sub stream output from a Hikvision camera, even if both the main stream and sub stream are using H.264?

51 minutes ago, WoodyG said:

Hi Lippavisual, thanks for your help on this.  I'm the integrator on this job and what I'm actually having an issue with isn't the driver for the NVR, it's the C4 Driver for the T3 Touchscreen.  The Hikvision cameras only output in H.264, so even when I set the Substream output to 720p (or even lower) the Touchscreen ignores the sub stream output and apparently latches on to the main stream output of the Hikvision cameras.  Do you know of a way to get a T3 touchscreen to only view the sub stream output from a Hikvision camera, even if both the main stream and sub stream are using H.264?

It's not the touch screen driver you're having issues with.  It's either NVR/camera compatibility or configuration you're struggling with.  Log into your dealer account and read all the KB articles related to Hikvision NVR's, cameras, and ip camera troubleshooting.  You will find useful info there as to which NVR and cameras are known to work and which firmware (minimum) they were tested on, resolutions, fps, etc.  Start there. 

Your other  Hikvision driver options are from blackwiredesigns.com.     No use in trying or buying any drivers until you've done some reading.  It's a bit of a learning curve but this is what it takes to integrate Hikvision into C4.  

We also have a Hikvision DVR and Cameras and our dealer install as per below - works great 

12 hours ago, lippavisual said:

It all depends on what driver is being used.  If your dealer is using an NVR driver, then he is correct in that you need to lower the res on the cameras for them to be seen on all navigators.

However, he could change the driver he's using.  The generic camera driver will allow any stream available because you have to input the url for it.

I'd go the generic driver route if it was me.  Keep the high res for the NVR and the substream for c4 only.  Also will depend on what the substream is capable of for res.

You don't get a lot of features with cheap cameras, unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm not following this correctly, so for verification - Hikvision cameras & DVRs integrate into C4 just as seamlessly as Luma?  Or are there features missing?  I'm about to purchase a system and would (naturally) prefer to save some money if capability is the same.  I definitely would like ability to be notified for motion.

Archived