C4 Forums | Control4

Sound problems

NFFC73

Question

Hi

New to the forum and I have tried to search for an answer but having no luck.

I have a full Control4 system but a few of the rooms/zones have stopped distributing sound. My installer always says to power down the system and restart but this hasn't worked.

Is there any way this can be tested without paying for a call out charge from the installer.

17 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

1. What equipment do you have, full list including all Control4 controllers, audio matrices and amps etc?

2. How long ago was it installed and how long after that did it stop working properly?

Hi it was installed approx 3 years ago.

It has only just stopped working in 3 rooms.

I have attached the parts list from the quote.

20190420_120253.jpg

20190420_120232.jpg

20190420_120309.jpg

I don’t see any kind of audio matrix there, just the HC800 as an audio source with 3 streams/outputs and an 8 zone power amp. 

Im not very familiar with the Leaf video matrices, is it perhaps being used as an audio matrix too do you know. 

I assume you are UK based judging by the kit list? Where are you exactly?

18 hours ago, NFFC73 said:

I'm in Nottingham UK

The control4 amplifier/leaf has all 8 zones lit up red.

Which devices exactly has all 8 zones lit up red, the Leaf audio/video matrix or the power amp or both?

From user manual for power amp:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wj0jmd425xejf9u/Screenshot 2019-04-21 08.03.56.png?dl=0

Red basically means there is a fault on that amp channel, if they are all lit up red then that would suggest it's "fecked". The new Triad PAMP8 would be an ideal replacement, I can help with this if required.

The Leaf audio/video matrix only has a few indicator LEDs on the front, here is an excerpt from the manual, which of these are lit up?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sekvfg86kbf2jgt/Screenshot 2019-04-21 08.09.39.png?dl=0

Thanks

Just checked a few rooms that haven't been used for a while and they don't work either.

When I turn on the amp no lights are on then after about 10 seconds they all light red.

I will have to get them out after Easter then. I was hoping for some kind of common fault that I could reset.

36 minutes ago, NFFC73 said:

Thanks

Just checked a few rooms that haven't been used for a while and they don't work either.

When I turn on the amp no lights are on then after about 10 seconds they all light red.

I will have to get them out after Easter then. I was hoping for some kind of common fault that I could reset.

Sounds like power amp has failed completely.

If you haven't done so already, I would disconnect the power to the amp for a few minutes and then power back up again and see if fault clears. A secondary step would be to also disconnect all other connections to it other than the power cord and then power cycle it, if fault still remains then you know its the amp and not a connected device.

Warranty period on Control4 hardware is 2 years from date of purchase so will probably have to be a chargeable repair or a replacement.

https://www.control4.com/legal/warranty/control4-warranty

For reference/info the current replacement for that model is the new Triad PAMP8 which retails for £1245 + VAT. It is a much, much better product, better signal to noise ratio and generally much cleaner and punchier sounding.

5 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

Sounds like power amp has failed completely.

If you haven't done so already, I would disconnect the power to the amp for a few minutes and then power back up again and see if fault clears. A secondary step would be to also disconnect all other connections to it other than the power cord and then power cycle it, if fault still remains then you know its the amp and not a connected device.

Warranty period on Control4 hardware is 2 years from date of purchase so will probably have to be a chargeable repair or a replacement.

https://www.control4.com/legal/warranty/control4-warranty

For reference/info the current replacement for that model is the new Triad PAMP8 which retails for £1245 + VAT. It is a much, much better product, better signal to noise ratio and generally much cleaner and punchier sounding.

Thanks for the help.

2 zones have nothing connected at all and are red.

I will get them out after the Easter holiday. Time to test how customer friendly they are with their after service.

3 minutes ago, NFFC73 said:

Thanks for the help.

2 zones have nothing connected at all and are red.

I will get them out after the Easter holiday. Time to test how customer friendly they are with their after service.

Don't give them too hard a time, a warranty is a warranty. I appreciate its disappointing for it to have failed so early on, but it's still a year beyond the warranty expiration date and it would be unfair to expect them to foot the bill if the manufacturer is not going to compensate them in some manner.

Out of interest what sort of ventilation is there in the rack itself and/or the room the rack is located in and what sort of spacing is between the components in the rack?

In any sort of Comms Cupboard or Rack Room its always a good ideal to have  either some form of passive ventilation, such as a vent low down on door/wall and another at high level to encourage air circulation between cooler air outside the room/cupboard and the rest of the house. In very small spaces we also tend to fit a 1U rack mounted fan at high level in rack, a low level vent in the door/wall to the room and then a thermostatically controlled fan at high level venting the hot air out of the room which in turn also actively draws cooler air in via lower vent.

32 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

Don't give them too hard a time, a warranty is a warranty. I appreciate its disappointing for it to have failed so early on, but it's still a year beyond the warranty expiration date and it would be unfair to expect them to foot the bill if the manufacturer is not going to compensate them in some manner.

Out of interest what sort of ventilation is there in the rack itself and/or the room the rack is located in and what sort of spacing is between the components in the rack?

In any sort of Comms Cupboard or Rack Room its always a good ideal to have  either some form of passive ventilation, such as a vent low down on door/wall and another at high level to encourage air circulation between cooler air outside the room/cupboard and the rest of the house. In very small spaces we also tend to fit a 1U rack mounted fan at high level in rack, a low level vent in the door/wall to the room and then a thermostatically controlled fan at high level venting the hot air out of the room which in turn also actively draws cooler air in via lower vent.

I wont give them a hard time I need there help.

The rack is in a fair sized room and has fan units and vent panels in.

The only other ventilation is the trickle vents in the windows.

I will post an update after they have visited.

6 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Those amp108 have had their fair share is issues, just replaced 2 this month which is why I asked. And c4 definitely doesnt make a fuss about warranty from what I have seen and in many cases extended the warranty on occasion

That's good to hear, with any luck they will replace it under warrant with a Triad PAMP8

On 4/21/2019 at 8:16 PM, Crustyloafer said:

That's good to hear, with any luck they will replace it under warrant with a Triad PAMP8

A quick update

The dealer said the unit was kaput and C4 wouldnt repair it. They also said it was out of Warranty.

I decided to contact C4 directly and they agreed to honour their new 3 year warranty. They are now sending us the new triad Amp.

Absolutely amazing customer service

On 4/21/2019 at 9:34 AM, Crustyloafer said:

I wont give them a hard time I need there help.

The rack is in a fair sized room and has fan units and vent panels in.

The only other ventilation is the trickle vents in the windows.

I will post an update after they have visited.

Edited by NFFC73
Sorry messed that up

quick update

The dealer said the unit was kaput and C4 wouldnt repair it. They also said it was out of Warranty.

I decided to contact C4 directly and they agreed to honour their new 3 year warranty. They are now sending us the new triad Amp.

6 hours ago, NFFC73 said:

quick update

The dealer said the unit was kaput and C4 wouldnt repair it. They also said it was out of Warranty.

I decided to contact C4 directly and they agreed to honour their new 3 year warranty. They are now sending us the new triad Amp.

That's awesome news and re-affirmation of how great a product and manufacturer they are. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.