C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Lighting - Min. Load Requirements.

Time2Jet

Can anyone explain whether current C4 lighting (SW/APD) requires a minimum load? Im not finding that anywhere, other than the training and literature explained the type of load versus the min wattage draw. I’m a little gun shy moving from Caseta, because with that system I had a bunch of issues with LED’s not producing enough load. (I don’t recall exactly, but I feel like it was a 10w min). I have some ELV/MLV and some vanity light and exterior lanterns fixtures that I use LED bulbs in that only draw 5 watts. For those, I had to buy different Caseta devices to allow them to work.

PS: I get dimmable vs non. That’s not the question.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switch has no minimum load

Forward Phase Dimmer has a minimum load WITH a dedicated neutral of 4.5W

Adaptive Phase Dimmer WITH neutral is 1W (yes ONE)

If there is no neutral wire, dimmers can still be used (switches cannot) - the Forward Phase dimmer then has a minimum of 25W on Incandescent and Halogen, Adaptive Phase Dimmer has 7W in that scenario (should not wire without neutral on Fluorescent or LED on either)

If you're at 5W I would recommend using Adaptive Phase, as usually 5W printing on a bulb isn't exactly accurate, and 4.5W is very near that limit.

Yes, Ari. Thank you.

I used the MLC capacitors and they worked in almost every case with the Caseta. But I’m moving to all C4 lighting.

I’m likely going to sell a ton of Caseta. I love it, but I need the Zigbee mesh benefit of C4 lighting. I’m keeping some Picos for bedside, table side lamp control and such. Easier to press a button than a bunch of button presses and scrolling on an SR or opening my app. And they’re far less expensive than other solutions.

I gotta say, for the price... the Caseta is a crazy good system. I had it prior to C4 and I loved the app. But if you’re a C4 home, C4 lighting is amazing. The mesh, the programming possibilities, the beautiful programmable LEDs and the added benefit that they handle nearly any load (small or big) and look great too.

A bit off-topic here, but since you mentioned how beautiful the programmable LED's are..

I finally just got around to adding some engraved buttons to my KD-120's.  I'm a bit disappointed with the light bleed issues at times.  Some keypads are worse than others, but almost all of them bleed a little bit of the backlight and the LED lights to other buttons.  I can also see the light bleed out from the wall plate (I don't use the official C4 wallplates).  

I don't have any multi-gang C4 keypads/switches, but if I did, I would also be worried about the uniformity of backlight/LED's between different switches/keypads.  This problem has been reported on these forums a few times already.

A bit off-topic here, but since you mentioned how beautiful the programmable LED's are..
I finally just got around to adding some engraved buttons to my KD-120's.  I'm a bit disappointed with the light bleed issues at times.  Some keypads are worse than others, but almost all of them bleed a little bit of the backlight and the LED lights to other buttons.  I can also see the light bleed out from the wall plate (I don't use the official C4 wallplates).  
I don't have any multi-gang C4 keypads/switches, but if I did, I would also be worried about the uniformity of backlight/LED's between different switches/keypads.  This problem has been reported on these forums a few times already.

Interesting. Following this. I’ve have some engraving on the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.