C4 Forums | Control4

Araknis WAP Problems

I've been living with Araknis 700 series WAPs (Dual Band - 2.4GHz and 5GHz) throughout my home.   We have 2 units upstairs, 2 down stairs, one in the garage and one outdoors all spaced appropriately.  Setups have been confirmed with SnapAV as correct.

At first all was well.  Then I started experiencing issues mostly with IOT devices.  The fix has generally been to create a dedicated 2.4GHz network on the WAPs and assign the IOT devices that were randomly falling off the network to the 2.4GHz space since most of those devices do not natively support 5.0GHz.

We continue to have some devices that we cannot get to stay on the network.  Most infuriating are the Big Ass Fans Haiku fans and wall switches that will not stay on the network no matter what we do. We've created a dedicated SSID just for the fans, they stay on for a little while and then fall off.  We've also had an issue with a WiFi gate controller (Nice brand) that is HomeKit compatible that either constantly says "Updating" or "No Response" in the Apple Home app.  Occasionally, Mac laptops are randomly losing connectivity as well.

I feel that the Araknis 700 WAPs are suspect in all of this.

Any ideas or anyone who has experienced the same I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

I have always been a fan of Araknis. Lately, however I have been migrating to Ruckus AP's and so far they are awesome

OK, putting that aside, this is what I had to do to get the ARaknis AP's working with everything

1: Separate the SSID's 2.4 and 5 Like you already did

2: turn off band steering and turn off fast roaming

3: update to latest firmware

Appreciate the feedback.  We have tried also turning off band steering (SnapAV reported that this can interfere with IOT devices) and fast roaming (somewhat disappointing as this was a feature we purchased for when you are moving about with phones and tablets).  Unfortunately, did not have an effect.  Latest firmware has been loaded.

Yes  - I have full access to everything.  Once upon a time I was a Cisco certified network engineer amongst other certifications, so I'm not flying totally blind.  That said, it has been a while, so I am open to recommendations.

We do have static IP addresses assigned to a number of devices including those times where SDDP was not working properly (imagine).

I've not yet tried doing a static address for the fans, but that may be an idea.  I did try creating a SSID on the WiFi network specifically for the fans, one for each floor (we have 7 fans).  That also did not work.

Networks suck when they don't work perfectly. 

for older devices, or devices that dont like wpa2 security,  you will have to use wpa2-psk mixed 

turn off band steering, create a 2nd ssid, just for older, or devices that does not like the most recent security and use the wpa2-psk mixed for this ssid 

Any ideas on why for example the fans would have worked no issues whatsoever for over 1 yr and then suddenly started hating the WiFi network?  During that time the firmware on the WAPs was unchanged.   I blame a firmware update from Big Ass Fans that was specific to the WiFi module, however there is no way to go backwards with their firmware, and they are saying that they tested with Araknis 700 series WAPs at their lab and could not replicate any issues.  Also does not explain the other issues we've ad on the network.

Tekki70 - thanks for the idea on security/wpa

6 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Any ideas on why for example the fans would have worked no issues whatsoever for over 1 yr and then suddenly started hating the WiFi network?  During that time the firmware on the WAPs was unchanged.   I blame a firmware update from Big Ass Fans that was specific to the WiFi module, however there is no way to go backwards with their firmware, and they are saying that they tested with Araknis 700 series WAPs at their lab and could not replicate any issues.  Also does not explain the other issues we've ad on the network.

Tekki70 - thanks for the idea on security/wpa

as you stated likely a firmware issue. im dealing with a similar problem in that my dry and dishwasher connected to the wifi just fine. The washer refuses to connect to my ap at all but connects fine to another WAP from another manufacture.

On 2/27/2020 at 6:10 PM, Matt Lowe said:

as you stated likely a firmware issue. im dealing with a similar problem in that my dry and dishwasher connected to the wifi just fine. The washer refuses to connect to my ap at all but connects fine to another WAP from another manufacture.

Matt have you tried creating another SSID for devices like your washer and just using wpa2/psk Mixed. this was a recommendation from snap and usually clears up devices that are having difficulties connecting to wifi, band steering off is a must also? 

5 hours ago, tekki70 said:

Matt have you tried creating another SSID for devices like your washer and just using wpa2/psk Mixed. this was a recommendation from snap and usually clears up devices that are having difficulties connecting to wifi, band steering off is a must also? 

actually wont even connect  with an open network. Problem is LG tech support is terrible so never gonna get them to solve it and Pakedge blames the device so outside of the few things they suggested stuck at a dead end until i can put more time into it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.