C4 Forums | Control4

Amplifier power control

Hello

I have an audio matrix feeding a number of stand alone non-intelligent amplifiers that are powered by a Pakedge PDU. What sort of triggers do you use as best practice to power the amplifier on for a room when there is audio playing and off when it’s not?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Mjhill1234 said:

Hello

I have an audio matrix feeding a number of stand alone non-intelligent amplifiers that are powered by a Pakedge PDU. What sort of triggers do you use as best practice to power the amplifier on for a room when there is audio playing and off when it’s not?

Thanks

It would help to know what the amplifiers are. Do they have auto sense? Do you use announcements? Trigger control connections can be done via a C4 controller and some programming.  

31 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:

It would help to know what the amplifiers are. Do they have auto sense? Do you use announcements? Trigger control connections can be done via a C4 controller and some programming.  

They are Crown DSI 1000 amplifiers so no auto sense or any trigger control. Also on the matrix I can't see a suitable event to use to switch the amplifier on for example I can use on the outputs. For example if I use "When any audio setting changes on Audio Output 1" > Turn on outlet 1 on PDU and "When the room turns off" > Turn off outlet 1 on PDU. The AMP will power on perfectly but on room power off powers the amplifier off then back on again assuming because this also qualifies as a "...any audio setting changes...". 

What I want is for the amp to turn on whenever there is a call for audio in the room/zone and turn off when the room is powered off. Getting slightly more funky would be to power off the amplifier if the audio is paused for 10min etc....

So I guess the question is what do people generally use as a Room Event to power on an amplifier?

Thanks

I've got it "working" using the following logic:

When the audio selection changes > set outlet 1 to on

When the room turns off > delay 10 seconds > set outlet 1 to off

If I don't add a delay the amp turns off and directly back on again when the room is powered off.

Not sure if there is a better way of doing this but it appears to work.

You would indeed use the room event. Or more specifically a room's variable event.

It's turning back on because room off (- NO audio selection) is a CHANGE in the audio selection.

Hence the need to put in a delay (1 second would likely do).

If you only use it for music, you could stick with what you have, otherwise:

WHEN {room} powerstate changes
	IF {room} is on [turn on outlet x]
	IF {room} is off [turn off outlet x]

14 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

You would indeed use the room event. Or more specifically a room's variable event.

It's turning back on because room off (- NO audio selection) is a CHANGE in the audio selection.

Thank you thats exactly what I was looking for! Will give that a go thank you

47 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I'm obviously doing something idiotic as if I use the the above it just just power cycles the amp when the room is turned on or off 😎

When the variable Kitchen->POWER_STATE changes

If Room Kitchen Room Power is ON

Set 5 ON on Rack>PDU

If Room Kitchen Room Power is OFF

Set 5 OFF on Rack>PDU

I disabled everything else

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.