C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Control w/o 6-button keypads (using existing Switches)

chudel

Hello!

I was curious how folks without 6- or multi-button keypads are managing their audio (mute/on/off/change playlist) and if any are doing it by "overloading" the regular light switch. For example, are folks that are doing this doing things like "double-tap toggles mute"?  There are only so many options at play here and probably it's a bit much to remember that a triple-tap cycles through playlists, for example but a quick double-tap to mute, for example, is faster than loading the app on the mobile device (with it's forever settings/sync on app focus).

Thanks!

1 hour ago, chudel said:

Hello!

I was curious how folks without 6- or multi-button keypads are managing their audio (mute/on/off/change playlist) and if any are doing it by "overloading" the regular light switch. For example, are folks that are doing this doing things like "double-tap toggles mute"?  There are only so many options at play here and probably it's a bit much to remember that a triple-tap cycles through playlists, for example but a quick double-tap to mute, for example, is faster than loading the app on the mobile device (with it's forever settings/sync on app focus).

Thanks!

I've toyed with it.  I'd use the bottom rocker.  I find a double or triple tap on the top rocker will still turn the load/light on regardless, yet still will do whatever you have programmed for 2 or 3 taps.  so bottom rocker double tap for mute, triple tap to cycle thru.  

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I've toyed with it.  I'd use the bottom rocker.  I find a double or triple tap on the top rocker will still turn the load/light on regardless, yet still will do whatever you have programmed for 2 or 3 taps.  so bottom rocker double tap for mute, triple tap to cycle thru.  

Thanks! If there is nothing playing and you double-tap (for un-mute) is the last audio source for the room a system variable or do you recommend setting this yourself?  So I could do:

double-tap: 
 - IF playing AND mute -> UNMUTE
 - IF playing AND unmute -> MUTE
 - If NotPlaying -> Play_Last_Audio_Source 

6 hours ago, chudel said:

Thanks! If there is nothing playing and you double-tap (for un-mute) is the last audio source for the room a system variable or do you recommend setting this yourself?  So I could do:

double-tap: 
 - IF playing AND mute -> UNMUTE
 - IF playing AND unmute -> MUTE
 - If NotPlaying -> Play_Last_Audio_Source 

Could give it a try.  Seems logical.  I don’t have these set anymore.  Slowly put in keypads.  So single tap for me is starting music. 

I have a few rooms equipped and programmed with mute, volume control and channel. The truth is we never use them. Audio is controlled from touch panels or our iPhones. If/when i make changes i will remove the buttons and clean up the wall switches. Just my 2 cents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.