C4 Forums | Control4

How to troubleshoot a dead camera feed?

2 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

The end outside the house has 6 wires plus the 2 pulled out into that green plug

The end inside the house (in the rack) has 8 wires 

Plug the switch side into your switch,  turn off wifi on a laptop and plug into laptop on camera side.   See if  you get internet....  

2 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

So that means it wasnt being powered by POE via the switch.

I should clarify - the light stopped working when the feed died; when the camera/feed was working, the light was blinking green just like the other 3 Lilin cameras connected to the POE switch

2 minutes ago, Pounce said:

What kind of PoE switch was this camera attached to?

I'm thinking he doesnt have the correct 2 ends...   why would the switch side have 8 wires (normal for POE) and the camera side has 2 wires pulled out for a 12v connector onto camera?   Something doesnt seem correct.

2 minutes ago, Pounce said:

The picture of the plug for the camera will be useful.

I can do that, but would have to be later...will have to pull out the ladder, unmount the camera (I kept it up there to protect the wires, though it's not actually connected to the CAT5 or green power plug any longer)

1 minute ago, pinkoos said:

I should clarify - the light stopped working when the feed died; when the camera/feed was working, the light was blinking green just like the other 3 Lilin cameras connected to the POE switch

how do you know the camera isnt dead?  have you removed that from the trouble shooting equation?

3 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Plug the switch side into your switch,  turn off wifi on a laptap and plug into laptop on camera side.   See if  you get internet....  

Can try to do that later when I have some time to go outside, get the ladder out, etc.

Just now, pinkoos said:

I can do that, but would have to be later...will have to pull out the ladder, unmount the camera (I kept it up there to protect the wires, though it's not actually connected to the CAT5 or green power plug any longer)

I would pull the camera off and bring it near your switch.   And try to power it with a normal Cat6 cable to another POE port on your switch.

Just now, ejn1 said:

how do you know the camera isnt dead?  have you removed that from the trouble shooting equation?

Up thread he tested it.

Also, according to up thread this worked and then stopped working.

Just now, Pounce said:

Up thread he tested it.

Also, according to up thread this worked and then stopped working.

if this worked then stopped working than doesnt that remove the original cable from the equation?

You can test the pair that is 12v to ensure there is still conductivity on both ends. I'd then wonder about the port on the switch.

1 minute ago, ejn1 said:

if this worked then stopped working than doesnt that remove the original cable from the equation?

I think if nothing changed and the camera stopped working and then he tested the camera with another cable attached to the switch and it worked... its either the cable or the switch port.

Just now, ejn1 said:

Not sure what you're asking - it's simple, the camera was installed and worked for about a year or a bit longer, but now it doesn't work

Camera was then removed and tested connected directly to the switch and was working fine

So, camera is working and something is not working from the switch all the way out to the exterior camera mount location (and we're assuming it's the cable that's not working)

Just now, Pounce said:

You can test the pair that is 12v to ensure there is still conductivity on both ends. I'd then wonder about the port on the switch.

I think if nothing changed and the camera stopped working and then he tested the camera with another cable attached to the switch and it worked... its either the cable or the switch port.

Not the port, I tried different ports and it still didn't work

3 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Not sure what you're asking - it's simple, the camera was installed and worked for about a year or a bit longer, but now it doesn't work

Camera was then removed and tested connected directly to the switch and was working fine

So, camera is working and something is not working from the switch all the way out to the exterior camera mount location (and we're assuming it's the cable that's not working)

Normally,  when someone suspects a cable fault, they hook to a tester immediately and it is or is not the cable.   Dont have the energy to reread the long thread, have you tested the cable yet?

6 minutes ago, Pounce said:

agree.   He should be able to remove the switch port from the equation by moving to the port that he tested when he brought the camera to the switch and it worked.  

10 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

If it was simple, there would have been a solution already :)   sounds like you would be wise to invest in a cable tester in the near future as mentioned previously...  I have a simple cheap one and one of the more expensive Fluke ones and both would at least tell you its the cable in this situation.

3 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

If it was simple, there would have been a solution already :)   sounds like you would be wise to invest in a cable tester in the near future as mentioned previously...  I have a simple cheap one and one of the more expensive Fluke ones and both would at least tell you its the cable in this situation.

I thought that's what I used already - the cable tester from Amazon that someone had recommended earlier in the thread

2 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

I thought that's what I used already - the cable tester from Amazon that someone had recommended earlier in the thread

sorry,  i started with the 12v connector pic..   I would assume the test should show 3 twisted pairs (6 wires) matching the switch side and 2 wires lit on one side and dark on the other given the pics so far.   Do you have the lilin model number by chance?

2 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

sorry,  i started with the 12v connector pic..   I would assume the test should show 3 twisted pairs (6 wires) matching the switch side and 2 wires lit on one side and dark on the other given the pics so far.   Do you have the lilin model number by chance?

LR7022E4

43 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

LR7022E4

The camera has a full POE ethernet input and a 12v input.   In a normal wiring it would just be one ethernet cable ran from switch to RJ45 input on camera.   No 12v cable broken out.   This makes me wonder if there is a 12v power source somewhere else that is powering the camera.   When you brought the camera to the switch to test, i presume you just used 1 single Cat5/6 cable?   Not one like the one in the original pic with 6 wires in the plug and a separate 12v 2wire plug?  Plus that was a black and white wire to the 12v connector.  Those colors are not in a normal ethernet cable...  I'm pretty sure for POE you need 2 twisted pairs for data transmission and 2 twisted pairs for POE.   So for the set up that you mentioned i dont see how it couldve been powered via POE via the switch? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.