C4 Forums | Control4

Smart film / Smart Glass

On 2/4/2021 at 6:26 PM, Cyknight said:

One downside I can think of is that, depending on the quality to a degree, is that tinting will not really block people outside in the dark from seeing inside where it's light.

In my case you definitely cannot see inside, even when it's dark outside and the lights are on inside. For most people I think it would be adequate for privacy. 

5 hours ago, johnpg said:

In my case you definitely cannot see inside, even when it's dark outside and the lights are on inside. For most people I think it would be adequate for privacy. 

It'll depend on the film/glass as noted earlier.

It'll also depend on what you're comfortable with. And yes that goes for frosted glass, as well as some types of blinds as well.

Is 'privacy' when you can't tell someone's face, or is privacy when one cannot see your shape at all.

For example, I know of a client that had a complete frosted glass brick wall removed because once the lights were on, you could certainly tell if a person in the shower behind it was male or female, I have put in blinds (against recommendation!) and removed them because a client could certainly tell a woman (his wife, though he couldn't actually 'recognize' her was undressing in the bedroom when he got home one evening. He didn't mind for himself - wasn't as thrilled about the idea anyone driving by could see the same.

SO - I wouldn't recommend a smart film for a window INSIDE a shower (not frosted either), even if I personally wouldn't care to bother it for privacy reason at all (though I might care not to give others any nightmares 😉)

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, johnpg said:

I bought from https://www.smarttint.com and my contractor (who was remodeling my house) did the install. Mine is low voltage and just wired to a normal on/off switch. 

John

I've just been in touch with these guys for a quote.

They ship to New Zealand which is a good start.
No idea what sort of price to expect for four sheets of about 600x600.
I hope I am not in for a shock, as this would be a perfect option for me as I do not like curtains or blinds in bathrooms....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.