C4 Forums | Control4

ip address

rhardin

I'm having problems with my HTC controller not recognizing new DVD or CD added to my changer. I've had several instances were I lose my internet connection and then must move modem back to direct connect to my PC to get rebooted. Then when I place modem back to connection with HTC, it won't recognize DVD...my question, how to I reset IP address to be sure controller is using current one?

Thanks Robert

Yes, i have a router. I've run diagnostics and everything shows ok. My dealer over 2 hours away, they think when i had to disconnect modem to get service back, IP address was re-set and these need to be updated in system. I'm don't how to do this and hate to pay them to make a 4 hour round trip. thanks for response and any other suggestions...I've been sick, so was slow in replying.

Robert

do you have a sony 777es if so, check in the programming if you have the changer search for amg server each time the dvd door closes. One thing you should know is that if your using the sony 777 you should not use any of the buttons on the player directly. The player must be connected using the rs232 and the null cable. If the connection is not correct or if you use both controls the player will not work correctly even though the test diagnostic shows success. So power cycle the sony 777 make sure your using the rs232 and null cable along with the sony 777 serial driver.

Thanks for the help...dealer says they must drive 4 hour round trip to fix...thought might be an easy solution known by this board....haven't been impressed by dealer knowledge...they have tried and NOT fixed this problem on an earlier visit.

Thanks for the help...dealer says they must drive 4 hour round trip to fix...thought might be an easy solution known by this board....haven't been impressed by dealer knowledge...they have tried and NOT fixed this problem on an earlier visit.

They can do this remotely, just an FYI.

Also, be careful about exposing who your dealer is. He could end up in hot water over giving you Composer Pro.

My dealer says they cannot do remotely...see their feedback below.....

The reason for the DVD player to have problems from time to time identifying discs is that the DVD player communicates with the Control4 controller. The controller then takes the data it has received from the DVD player and communicates with an on-line database to retrieve the disc information. In order for the controller to access the internet it must use your network. Here is where the problem begins.

We have been taught that when a piece of electronics is not working properly, we should turn it off or unplug it. When your modem is “turned off” the network looses the settings which permit the Control4 controller to talk to it. Therefore it can no longer access the internet to retrieve the disc info for the DVD player. The reason you have needed to “turn off” the modem is as a result of network instability. Until this instability is corrected, your problem will not go away.

It would be nice if we could address these issues via the MyControl4 internet network connection and save the time and expense of a service call. Here are the reasons that option is unavailable:

· The MyControl4 connection allows us to access your Control4 processor to make programming adjustments and allow you to control home functions remotely. It does not provide the ability to address network issues or make changes in the network. It is a great system operations product but it is not a network control / maintenance solution.

· The other reason is that even if it were able to make network adjustments – which it can’t, it would first need to communicate with the network. And it would not be able to do that because of the network issues you are experiencing.

My dealer says they cannot do remotely...

You'd really be well served by establishing a remote service relationship with one of the dealers. There are good ones on this site who could service your needs, but you should setup a professional, paid relationship with one. These systems are not that easy for even a technical person to understand, and certainly can't be managed over the long run by hit and miss forum advice.

If you can get to the internet on your PC at home, then it can probably be fixed remotely.

He is correct that a remote check in will not correct the non C4 related issues, but those can probably be fixed remotely as well.

But I'm surprised they would install from afar without a remote service plan in place for network related issues.

Is there a dealer in your local market that might be able to help? (there is no location in your profile).

BTW: Not all discs will show up automatically, so it's normal for the list not to be 100% correct.

what is your htc ip address, what is your computers ip address; These addresses should be different. Are their certain dvd/cds that the unit cannot recognize or is it all media? Its normal for some dvds/cd not to be recognized where you would have to lookup the information yourself. If your htc keeps loosing it ip then you need to have network tech configure your router and setup a static ip address for you. If your using a dynamic ip on the htc can be difficult for new users to the system. There is a good chance that the htc will recieve different ip addresses from time to time. The next time you try to load a dvd/cd and it does not work run a diagnostic if all passes then you need to look up the disc your self. And depending on the failure check you network configuration appropriately.

That will not work. Each device on the network needs to have its own ip address. If your not sure how to network I would highly recommend getting your dealer to comeback out and also a network tech at the home at the same time so that you can get your network stable. With a spotty network your c4 system will not perform correctly.

Yes it does work. In the post above I'm talking about the DNS server not the IP address. I am assuming that you are able to connect to the controller through the network but the controller is unable to retrieve data online. If that is the case then you need to look at the DNS server settings.

By the way you don't need composer to change network settings. You can change the network settings with the onscreen navigator.

If you can't connect to the controller then you need to check how your controller is setup to figure out what is wrong. Go to the onscreen navigator Info->Network->IP address you should see that Dynamic is selected if you are using DHCP. You can select OK on this screen and the controller should get an IP address from the router. If the Assigned button is selected then your installer set up the controller with a static IP address.

If your controller is setup with DHCP then go to onscreen navigator: Info->Network->DNS Server->Dynamic IP->OK and it should get a DNS from the router.

If it's setup statically, you need to use a valid IP address for your LAN.

Archived