C4 Forums | Control4

iPhone 3g remote access and Apple Extreme router

C4Newbie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean not the routers listed on your approved hardware list' date=' because I just bought one 6 months ago from that list and I found out the hard way that I can't get it to do VPN (and yes after the MyHome product).[/quote']

2 on the list *do* support VPN - a Cisco RV042 & Pakedge model RB-KIT 50b. Most routers on the list are "consumer grade".

So, there are only "2" confirmed/C4 listed routers that support VPN and 3g access with iphone/android via myHOME?

Yes and neither are gigabit. Welcome to C4 cutting edge technology.

define confirmed? plenty of solutions, only a few "approved" / "confirmed" / "certified" by control4.

Any standard vpn that allows IP traffic *should* work if properly set up.

Certified to work with control4, though that doesn't mean much, as there certified drivers are hit and miss also.

define confirmed? plenty of solutions, only a few "approved" / "confirmed" / "certified" by control4.

Any standard vpn that allows IP traffic *should* work if properly set up.

Will Netgear's WNDR3300 work? I picked up one cheap recently.

Running:

Netgear WNDR3300 Router

Netgear FS726TP PROSAFE™ 24 PORT 10/100 SMART SWITCH WITH 2 GIGABIT PORTS AND 12 PORT POE

Certified to work with control4, though that doesn't mean much, as there certified drivers are hit and miss also.

In this case, this means that if you're using those routers, control4's tech support will back you up as the dealer in troubleshooting it. There are a myraid of options and only limited resources to cross train everyone appropriately on all the brands and configurations and features of routers.

The speed of the firewall between your internet connection and your home network should be at least as fast as your internet connection.

My comcast connection is a 30 mbit down connection.

If I use a 10 mbps router, I'm only using 1/3 of my connection.

If I use a 100 Mbps, I'm using 3/10's of my router. However with TCP overhead, I'm pushing it around 50% utilization which taxes the cpu, causes major heat, etc.

If I use a 1000 Mps router, I'm using very little of the bandwith, CPU, etc. and can focus on firewall, VPN, Stateful Packet Inspection, filtering, etc.

But, your internal network speed is controlled by your switch speed, not router speed.

Your internal speed between a PC and NAS should not be effected by a 100 Mbps router, if connected to a gigabit switch and configured correctly. However, if either device is connected to either LAN port on the router, then the router is acting as a switch (more overhead on cpu as well) and would slow it down to 100 Mbps.

Bottom line is, a gigabit router can help with load, especially if you are using lots of features on a router.

However, if either device is connected to either LAN port on the router, then the router is acting as a switch (more overhead on cpu as well) and would slow it down to 100 Mbps.

If either device is connected directly to the router, you're doing it wrong.

RyanE

Agreed, but I am shocked how many people look at the back of a 4 port lan router and go, OOOOHHH extra ports... I'll use these. And since they are close to the WAN connection, they must be the fastest.

The power of the switch, length and quality of the wire (Cat 5e vs 6), managed vs unmanaged, all make a huge difference in latency and load on the network.

You'd be amazed how much traffic is happening on home networks, even when no person is using the system. Lots of networked devices are very chatty and use resources.

Not configuring your network environment properly can result in major issues / slowdowns.

Good luck...

Cisco RV220W with PPTP from an iPhone works fairly good. I also tried the iVPN software running on my mac mini media server and it was incredibly easy to setup. I'm sure any non techy could set this up with ease.

I have my internet connected to my router, then I have an ethernet cable to my 48 port unmanaged switch. C4, all network connections, nas is connected to the unmanaged switch.

I did not know that the router didn't need to be gigabit, but if I am going to spend $2-300 I would rather buy the router that is somewhat more future proof.

Archived