C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power- Has anyone set this up yet?

Here are some questions for any of you who know or have used just add power

First my specs

I will have 4 TV's- all 1080P but size, brand and model yet to be determined. Largest will probably either be a 55 or 60 inch.

I will have 2-3 satellite receivers

I will have a blue ray player

I want to be able to distribute my ripped DVDs that I have on network storage. All of them are standard def DVDS right now but in the future I'm sure I will have blu ray rips on there as well.

I want to control it with control 4 and have everything in the equipment closet downstairs and be able to distribute any source to any room.

Questions:

Will I have HDCP issues with my ripped DVDs on my network storage? I want to be able to access my collection from any room in the house.

I've heard different things on the video quality. Keep in mind that I will mostly be watching TV from the satellite recievers and watching standard def movies. I will also watch blu ray though. I just want a nice clean picture. It doesn't have to be perfect. For those of you that have it how is the picture quality?

How does the control 4 interface work with this? Can someone break down how it all works together. I don't have C4 yet so I'm not familiar with it other than the demos I've been shown. I'm putting this in a new house I'm building.

If I want to use a receiver for surround sound in my great room how would that fit into the puzzle?

I'm sure I'm missing something but those are the main questions I have.

Thanks

Here are some questions for any of you who know or have used just add power

First my specs

I will have 4 TV's- all 1080P but size, brand and model yet to be determined. Largest will probably either be a 55 or 60 inch.

I will have 2-3 satellite receivers

I will have a blue ray player

I want to be able to distribute my ripped DVDs that I have on network storage. All of them are standard def DVDS right now but in the future I'm sure I will have blu ray rips on there as well.

I want to control it with control 4 and have everything in the equipment closet downstairs and be able to distribute any source to any room.

Questions:

Will I have HDCP issues with my ripped DVDs on my network storage? I want to be able to access my collection from any room in the house.

I've heard different things on the video quality. Keep in mind that I will mostly be watching TV from the satellite recievers and watching standard def movies. I will also watch blu ray though. I just want a nice clean picture. It doesn't have to be perfect. For those of you that have it how is the picture quality?

How does the control 4 interface work with this? Can someone break down how it all works together. I don't have C4 yet so I'm not familiar with it other than the demos I've been shown. I'm putting this in a new house I'm building.

If I want to use a receiver for surround sound in my great room how would that fit into the puzzle?

I'm sure I'm missing something but those are the main questions I have.

Thanks

the Just Add Power devices will hand out the keys just fine. Your movie player may have some sort of key on the HDMI interface but the JAP products will manage the keys just fine.

If you are not using a pioneer elite plasma then you will be fine. you wont notice a difference in anything.

the control4 system will control it like any other video switch via a serial port on the network switch. You wont notice anything. you simply select your hd dvr or what ever device and the control4 system does the rest.

you need to run seperate digital audio to the receiver from your sources and keep the hdmi video directly to the sources. It will work much better that way

also as an FYI. When ever you have an HDMI source selected the stream is alive and running. when you select off of that back due to HDMI regulations the port actually turns off.. there can be a 5-15 second turn on time before you see a picture again. I highly recommend you purchase an extra receiver for every transmitter you buy that way a receiver is always on every single video feed and it will give you the instant video switch times

Thanks for the replies.

Kevin L- just a clarification on what you said. You said having a extra receiver for each transmitter are you talking about a audio/video receiver or something else?

Ideally I would want one receiver with all my sources plugged into that and then have the receiver plugged into just add power then go to the managed switch then out to my displays.

Would that work?

Thanks for the replies.

Kevin L- just a clarification on what you said. You said having a extra receiver for each transmitter are you talking about a audio/video receiver or something else?

Ideally I would want one receiver with all my sources plugged into that and then have the receiver plugged into just add power then go to the managed switch then out to my displays.

Would that work?

You need a receiver for each local audio zone, you can't have one receiver for the entire home.

The reason why Kevin suggested having a local receiver for each display is so that it keeps the HDCP connection alive, and you don't have to wait for all the handshakes to take place. I hadn't thought of doing that before.

You can still have these receivers located centrally in the basement.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Oh yeah, duh, didn't think about that. Really I am only going to have surround sound in my great room and all the other rooms will just have audio from the TV. However if the receiver has a bunch of hdmi inputs and an hdmi output couldn't I still have one receiver that feeds everything since the audio is carried through ?

Not sure if it would be worth the extra cost to have a bunch of receivers . I think I would be ok waiting a few seconds when I change an input.

Oh yeah, duh, didn't think about that. Really I am only going to have surround sound in my great room and all the other rooms will just have audio from the TV. However if the receiver has a bunch of hdmi inputs and an hdmi output couldn't I still have one receiver that feeds everything since the audio is carried through ?

Not sure if it would be worth the extra cost to have a bunch of receivers . I think I would be ok waiting a few seconds when I change an input.

You would only be able to watch one thing at a time this way (if you had all the inputs going into one receiver and have that receiver outputting the signal). For example the master bedroom and family room could both have the satellite playing but you couldnt have satellite receiver 1 playing in the family room on channel 4 and satellite receiver 2 playing channel 8 in the master bedroom, if I am understanding you correctly.

Thanks for the replies.

Would that work?

i am referring to an extra just add power receiver for each source that way all of the hdmi streams are active at all times

guys i do NOT recemmend you run the Just Add Power products through a surround sound receiver. they do weird things with the signal

i was recommending an extra just add power receiver for each source ie if you buy 5 transmitters and have 10 tvs you would buy 5 transmitters and 10 receivers then buy an additional 5 receivers to match how many transmitters you have. The 5 extra receivers will keep the HDMI Signals alive in the sources to give you instant video switch at all times

Kevin

I think you are trying to say you should have the same number of receivers as you have transmitters. But your comment above sounds like you are suggesting 5 Transmitters and 15 receivers. Can you please explain. Thanks And what do you do with the additional transmitteres or receivers?

ok

you have 5 HDMI SOURCES so you have 5 HDMI TRANSMITTERS

you have 10 HDMI TVS so you have 10 HDMI RECEIVERS

PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL 5 RECEIVERS TO MATCH THE TRANSMITTERS. They will guarantee instant seamless switching at all times.

Couldn't you just by a sixth and code some programming such that when tv turns off switch the tv input to the 6th transmitter ? Or just use the transmitter for c4 cop if you have one in the jap matrix ?

As long as there's any active source (and transmitter) and receiver connected the there's no need to resync the hdmi handshake when there's a source change right ?

Kevin - You mention "If you are not using a pioneer elite plasma then you will be fine. you wont notice a difference in anything. " Could you elaborate on the issue with Pioneer display? I've not seen a problem.

Are you using JAP with HDMI on the Pioneer? It's not an issue with the display itself, just this particular use scenario.

Kevin - You mention "If you are not using a pioneer elite plasma then you will be fine. you wont notice a difference in anything. " Could you elaborate on the issue with Pioneer display? I've not seen a problem.

comparing a samsung plasma and an elite side by side playing the same source you could see the pioneer actually display images faster. Even a directv guide pops up quicker even though its the same box but video looks synced when comparing them etc.. On super fast action seens you can see a slight jitteryness with the elite vs perfect video with the samsung etc..

In one room, I presently have the AV sources co-located with the Pioneer Elite. I had a recent notion to send HDMI via CAT5e and move the sources to a central equipment location with the rest of the equipment. Having been looking at particulars to make that happen, I saw the mention of the Pioneer in this thread, saw a "Red Flag."

JAP was of interest to me, but I have not yet settled on choices. Any input there would be helpful, too.

Couldn't you just by a sixth and code some programming such that when tv turns off switch the tv input to the 6th transmitter ? Or just use the transmitter for c4 cop if you have one in the jap matrix ?

As long as there's any active source (and transmitter) and receiver connected the there's no need to resync the hdmi handshake when there's a source change right ?

the 6th transmitter will only log onto 1 source which defeats the purpose of being able to select 5 different sources and having them all switch instant. this is only OPTIONAL

if you turn on 1 tv and select HD DVR 1 and then go and select HD DVR 2 ( you will wait for the HD DVR 2 to turn on etc ) the hDMI output in HD DVR 1 will turn off after about 20 seconds and when you go to reselect HD DVR 1 you will have a 7-15 second turn on time before you see an image even though the box is turned on.. if you have an extra receiver on that feed the hdmi port will be active at all times

In one room, I presently have the AV sources co-located with the Pioneer Elite. I had a recent notion to send HDMI via CAT5e and move the sources to a central equipment location with the rest of the equipment. Having been looking at particulars to make that happen, I saw the mention of the Pioneer in this thread, saw a "Red Flag."

JAP was of interest to me, but I have not yet settled on choices. Any input there would be helpful, too.

I would not recommend you use JAP devices on the elite.

Aha. I just reread you're original post. You said receivers not transmitters. Makes sense then - keep the hdmi handshake up with something when there's no display assigned to a given source. So your five extra receivers are essentially nailed up - one to each source so there's no coding required - nor would it be possible.

Thanks.

ok

PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL 5 RECEIVERS TO MATCH THE TRANSMITTERS. They will guarantee instant seamless switching at all times.

I think you confused trasmitters and receivers here.

You meant:

PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL 5 TRANSMITTERS TO MATCH THE RECEIVERS, right?

ok

I think you confused trasmitters and receivers here.

You meant:

PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL 5 TRANSMITTERS TO MATCH THE RECEIVERS' date=' right?[/quote']

NO... you purchase 5 additional RECEIVERS that will hop onto each vlan and talk to the transmitters in the rack. The receivers will also sit in the rack and simply have a cat5 to them no hdmi cable

Archived