C4 Forums | Control4

HTC Power Supply

mthomtech

OK, I know my system is OLD.  Still on 1.7 with mostly gen 1 equipment.

But, I've had power supply issues with my HTC's - 3 of 4 have gone bad (1 came back for about a year, but out again).  I've seen a post for HC300 power supply replacements, but does anyone have links to replacements for the original HTC power supply?

I also had my c4 amp rebuilt (to V2) after it blew, but no issues with anything else.

Along those lines too, I want to make sure I have great surge protection ... any advice on the best protection to avoid more power supply issues?  I do have all the equipment going through APC UPS batter backups and such, but I'm still not sure I get the best clean power.  APC is before the rack, and wondering if just surges from powering on equipment in the rack can cause some surges that may knock out some equipment.  I did lose the first HTC after rebooting the system.

I'm also collecting a few replacements and backups of 1.7 equipment to try to extend the life of the system a little, but would love to repair the HTC's too if possible.

At the point that HTCs stop being supported by new releases (which is probably sometime soon), the easiest way to get a replacement HTC power supply will probably be to buy an HTC, and just swap power supplies (if you didn't want to mess with the project / ZigBee mesh, etc.).

The version of the HTC sent to you wouldn't really much matter, if you were just swapping power supplies.

Just a thought.

RyanE

• 3 years later...

My HC300HC300C-E-B died. No lights, no action.  Reset button clicks but nobody's home.  Based on the posts, I assume it is the power supply. I can't tell a capacitor from a thingamajig, but I can plug and unplug a replacement power supply.  But none of the usual sources (Mouser, etc) make it easy because there is no matching part number.  The part no looks like PSU15-5 SC-03B SC-1109C with confirmation that this is a PSU15W 5V unit with max 1A.  Found a photo of the part on the DongAh website but looks like they don't sell retail: http://dongahusa.com/pdf/PSU-15.pdf    I am reluctant to just use any power supply that doesn't match the part number because the posted images look like they are arranged differently.  Any ideas would be most appreciated! Including telling me that I am wasting my time.  Also, while I have it open, should I replace the batteries on the motherboard? Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

I had to buy through the dealer as I couldn't find that particular power supply anywhere else.  Which meant that a $5 power supply cost me about $60.  I remember it as a PSU-15--5 but can't confirm the other numbers.  I did have a max 1A.  Good luck.

I have bought two or three of them online - I think from Allied Electronics as Mouser doesn't ship to Canada.  Here's the link for the Canadian site, you should be able to find it on the Allied US site as well.  It cost C$25 which is under US$20.

Archived