C4 Forums | Control4

New to C4

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a house with a C4 system in it. The functionality of the system is great and I am considering upgrading to the newest model. Mine is 3 years old.

My question is, is it worth the upgrade? Does the response time improve on the newer controllers? Right now it is pretty slow and is the main reason I am not considering going ahead with the upgrade.

I use Shaw for my internet and television provider, not sure if that matters. I am only using the C4 system for AV right now.

Any other thoughts for a new user?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a house with a C4 system in it. The functionality of the system is great and I am considering upgrading to the newest model. Mine is 3 years old.

My question is, is it worth the upgrade? Does the response time improve on the newer controllers? Right now it is pretty slow and is the main reason I am not considering going ahead with the upgrade.

I use Shaw for my internet and television provider, not sure if that matters. I am only using the C4 system for AV right now.

Any other thoughts for a new user?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Do you know the model controller you have?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

No, tv service provider means nothing - although if it's Shaw Portal system, then some of the slowness may just be the Portal system - it's dreadfully slow to repond by itself, and the main reason I'm not considering it myself.

As mentioned look at what you have as  the main controller of the house - look at anything marked "Home Controller xxx" or "HC-xxx" and list it, we should be then be better able to say if upgrading will make a big difference, or which 'path' to take.

Also, if you have a touchscreen, go to more-settings-about and write down the system versions you see there.

There's a discount for existing systems on now as mentioned, but there are some caveats, just make sure you qualify before forging ahead (to prevent nasty surprises).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses!

I have the HC-300 controller. I had the tech come in a update everything so I assume I have all the most recent software, there was still no increase in performance.

As far as the slowness being cause by the Shaw Gateway, I don't think that is it. I have one room where there is no C4 and I jsut use the Shaw remote dorectly. There is no lag at all there.

Thanks again for your comments everyone.

cheers,

Oh it's there even with the remotes alright - but if you notice a clear difference (and it's indeed a Gateway system, not 'normal' shaw cable) between with and without C4, I suspect it may be the controller - at 2.5.3 (the latest software version the HC300's support running a system), it doesn't take very much to push it to  it's limits, upgrading to an HC250 should give you a significant boost at that point.

• 2 months later...

Oh it's there even with the remotes alright - but if you notice a clear difference (and it's indeed a Gateway system, not 'normal' shaw cable) between with and without C4, I suspect it may be the controller - at 2.5.3 (the latest software version the HC300's support running a system), it doesn't take very much to push it to  it's limits, upgrading to an HC250 should give you a significant boost at that point.

This is the controller the installer recommeneded. I think I will give it a try. He actually suggested the 800 first, but from what I have read I don't think I need that much power. however, I do usually buy more than I need. ie, I haven't even tried to watch a 3D movie yet on my new Samsung 65". Bought it for myself for Christmas.

You are correct, there is a bit of lag on the Gateway system when I use the shaw remote. It just isn't as bad as the HC-300 controller. Are there any other Shaw Gateway users that have an HC-250 that may be able to speak to their experience with any lag they may have noticed?

I am glad to hear there is a significant boost in the performance from the 300 to the 250.

Archived