C4 Forums | Control4

Favorite alexa skills

msgreenf

What are some of your favorite alexa skills? Share what you ask her to do the most

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Using the Epic Driver:

Alexa:

1) Turn on garage door 1 (we have detached garages)

2) Turn on playroom (starts Disney Pandora station in the playroom)

3) Turn on Family Room Shades (Lutron shades)

4) Play Jeopardy

5) What time is it?

6) What's the forecast for tomorrow?

"Alexa, turn off Gate Noise."

I have a sensor on our gate that triggers a sound over the house and backyard speakers when somebody has entered the property (wife, gardener, pool guy...)  But when the wind blows too hard it triggers the sound every few minutes. Now I can just yell out, Alexa changes a variable and the sound isn't played for the next hour.

"Alexa, turn on kitchen lights"

Nice when I enter the house with both hands full with grocery bags or whatever.

"Alexa, turn on Gate Camera"

When somebody is at the gate I can immediately see them on the nearest TV. Each of my Dots are hooked to a different Amazon account and the Dot that hears me displays the camera video on the TV in that room.

My favourite is Nikola which allows me to get information from, and start actions, on my car. But I am biased as I helped develop it.

Most useful is probably the shopping list if you have an Echo device in your kitchen.

BTW there is an app called Astra (at least on iOS) that let's you use your phone as an Echo, even when you aren't home.

edit - The best Alexa application is HA.  Having a C4 system tied into Alexa makes Alexa 10X as beneficial as having an Alexa without an HA system.

Absolutely at $40 per room, and it gives you an audio device as well. 

I don't know that I would consider the Dot a viable option as an audio device to listen to. I mean, you'd be just as well off listening to the crappy speaker built into your iPhone or Android. As for using it as an audio line out source, now you're talking about feeding back to your audio system to distribute back to your zones. At that point a zigbee keypad dimmer makes more sense and is likely cost comparative plus gives you lighting control.

Archived