C4 Forums | Control4

EA3 vs EA5

I have been lurking on this site for a while.  Largely because of reading posts here, I decided to install C4 on my new house. I really look forward to getting to know the system.  Almost through the install and just noticed that my dealer installed an EA3 controller instead of the EA5 that was spec'ed.  I have a 4,000 ft2 house with at least 20 light switches, 7 audio zones and 5 may go to 7 video zones.  I understand that there is about $1,000 difference in cost.  I am pretty upset as there have been a few other corners cut on this project that I have caught.  Should I have him replace with EA5 or ask for price difference?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, scottparrvb said:

I have been lurking on this site for a while.  Largely because of reading posts here, I decided to install C4 on my new house. I really look forward to getting to know the system.  Almost through the install and just noticed that my dealer installed an EA3 controller instead of the EA5 that was spec'ed.  I have a 4,000 ft2 house with at least 20 light switches, 7 audio zones and 5 may go to 7 video zones.  I understand that there is about $1,000 difference in cost.  I am pretty upset as there have been a few other corners cut on this project that I have caught.  Should I have him replace with EA5 or ask for price difference?

Thanks,

I can't tell you what to do with your controller but there are lots of others on this site that will and they can give you valuable info.

The only advice I can give you is watch this guy like a hawk. My dealer cut corners and I'm paying the price.

If you are wondering if the EA3 can handle your system, don't worry. It can handle way more than that. I would be worried about the Zigbee coverage.

Now, if you PAID for the EA5 and the dealer gave you an EA3, that is just wrong and you should take action on it. Talk to him - nicely - and ask why he did that. Perhaps he decided to do that and place a EA1 somewhere else to use it as a ZAP. 

I'd have to say that that is not that big a project, and an EA3 can handle it no problem UNLESS the intend is to also add a ton of programming, and or you have a lot of processor heavy driver - but even then.... Question is are you intending to add much more.

I would have to agree though that if you're looking at 4000 sqf - is that living space or house footprint? - 20 lights may leave you with a weaker mesh than preferable. You don't list any extenders for ZigBee though I would assume you wouldn't know to list them.

Personally, based on the limited info, I would suggest you call him out on it, then talk about adding more lighting devices instead.

Assuming of course the money wasn't in fact spent elsewhere to catch some of this (like the EA1 idea mentioned above).

Archived