C4 Forums | Control4

Theater Build - Just Finished

drousso

So impressed with the quality of the designs I'm seeing here. I'm pretty proud of the build I just did, but in many respects pales in comparison to some the work on this board! Enjoy the build photos. Happy to share lessons learned on this project...

Here's the specs:

(1) Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector

(1) Onkyo TXNR3009 receiver

(1) Samsung BDD6700 blu-ray

(1) Sony BDPCX7000ES 400 Disc blu-ray player

(1) Mac Mini 2012 i7 4gb 500mb HDD, HDMI out

(1) Screen Innovations 133" diagonal curved screen 240:1, w/ LED

(3) Klipsch KL-6504-THX in-wall speakers

(2) Klipsch KL-6502-THX in-wall speakers

(2) Klipsch R-5650-S in-wall speakers

(2) Klipsch RW-5802 in-wall subwoofers

(1) Klipsch RSA500 sub-woofer amplifier

(1) Control 4 C4-HC800-BL HC-800 Home Controller

(1) Control 4 SR250 system remote

(2) ATM Cool-cube cooling system

(1) SurgeX XR115 Surge Eliminator & Power Conditioner

(3) Control 4 Wireless Dimmers

(8) Seatcraft Venetian, Motorized

(8) ButtShaker Pro with 2000w Amp

I like your wall panels, where did you get them from?

Fabric was from TK Living. about 25 yards of it at about $60 a yard I believe. Expensive, but I looked at a lot of different fabric, and there was a huge difference...

Panels are 3M, 1 inch fiberglass.

Very nice! I love the carpet- is that commercial-grade? You guys and your wide-open spaces are making me cry. I've got a shear wall that prevents me from building a really useful theater... That and damn slot-car track room that nobody uses.

Very nice! I love the carpet- is that commercial-grade? You guys and your wide-open spaces are making me cry. I've got a shear wall that prevents me from building a really useful theater... That and damn slot-car track room that nobody uses.

The carpet was a complete score from a local shop that I was hunting around in for typical theater carpet. I saw a sample board walking the isle and there it was, just perfect for the room, color scheme, everything. I wouldn't' say its commercial grade. It's a high end stain master carpet but I don't recall the manufacturer.

You just never know what you'll find when you're not looking for it...

^Love it man. I could spend some time in a room like that. More pictures! Is the cooling system doing it's job?

Will take more this weekend. Have been traveling and unable to enjoy it! Will take some with a movie playing and the LED on as well.

I did a very cool (yes, intentional word play) thing on the design of the soffits running around the room. I vented the soffits down into the pilasters, and then kept the soffit interior space open all the way around the room to the projector bay. Then I put one of cool-aire fans at the head end of the soffit, pulling air into the equipment room creating a negative air pressure inside the soffit. As a result, the air is pulled through the pilasters and around the soffit into the equipment room!

Then I placed a second Cool-Aire in the equipment room and vented it outside the house, thereby evacuating the heat outside. I get almost 6 pounds of negative pressure in the soffits. Its amazing and silent. You don't feel any air drafts, but if you puff smoke into the room, you can see how quickly it draws into the pilasters and out to the equipment room. The room stays completely comfortable with no heat rise after hours and hours of use... Not even body heat from a full room will raise the temp in the room... That was my little engineering feat of magic...

Los Angeles is a possibility. It's still a haul for most though. I could do it if a number of you are up for LA. Weather is starting to turn for the better. I won't do it unless James from Newport comes. This guy knows his stuff in & out and we give him shit but that's gonna change during a face-to-face. I need the creme-of-the crop at my place and that means club411. You guys know what to do...

A few more photos, and one of the constant problem I have with C4. "Connecting to Director" every time I power on the room. Still haven't solved that one. Reboot fixes it, but why it keeps happening is a mystery...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived