C4 Forums | Control4

1.74 to 2.2 how long will it take ?

The HC800 driver didn't exist until 2.1.

RyanE

That's what I meant. I either meant to type that it didn't exist in 1.8, or it didn't exist until 2.2, but either way it was wrong. I type faster than I think and fail to proofread =)

Thanks for pointing out my typo.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's like updating all the PCs in a datacenter, but there's also one reason that it's definitely *NOT* like updating all the PCs in the datacenter.

Since the ZigBee channel is such a narrow bandwidth channel, only 2 devices can update over that channel at the same time.

That's another significant reason it takes so long.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan, that does help. It's interesting to me that each device needs to run its own copy of the "os". Doesmt seem the most efficent but ya'll obviously know more then me. Also I do get the update from embernet to zigbee, those are different protocol and not what confused me. I also appologize if I somewhat hijacked the thread, I'm just a tech head and find enjoyment in computer code.

Thanks for the time

My Dealer says that the radio in the HC800 will not "talk" to my 1.7 devices....

It wont talk embernet (1.7), so you have to have an older controller temporarily to do that one time update process, then you dont need it anymore.

The 1.8 pit stop is kind of a waste of time, imo, but there may be a specific reason that I don't know about that's having him do that.

Thanks Ryan, that does help. It's interesting to me that each device needs to run its own copy of the "os". Doesmt seem the most efficent but ya'll obviously know more then me.

When I say 'OS', for devices like dimmers, etc., they're not running a full Linux stack OS, but they have to run *something* on the chipset that works like an OS. It's basically the ZigBee stack, plus an application that runs. Much simpler than full-blown OS, but that's a good way to look at it.

RyanE

My Dealer says that the radio in the HC800 will not "talk" to my 1.7 devices....

It wont talk embernet (1.7)' date=' so you have to have an older controller temporarily to do that one time update process, then you dont need it anymore.

The 1.8 pit stop is kind of a waste of time, imo, but there may be a specific reason that I don't know about that's having him do that.[/quote']

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you saying I don't need to do the update to 1.8 ? The way my dealer explained it it was necessary to update the HC500 to 1.8 then to 2.2.

Either way it's too late because the update is running....

Thanx in advance.

DS

It wont talk embernet (1.7), so you have to have an older controller temporarily to do that one time update process, then you dont need it anymore.

The 1.8 pit stop is kind of a waste of time, imo, but there may be a specific reason that I don't know about that's having him do that.

That was my initial thought, but of course I am not in any position to correct a dealer...I'm just a stupid hobbyist.

It wont talk embernet (1.7)' date=' so you have to have an older controller temporarily to do that one time update process, then you dont need it anymore.

The 1.8 pit stop is kind of a waste of time, imo, but there may be a specific reason that I don't know about that's having him do that.[/quote']

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you saying I don't need to do the update to 1.8 ? The way my dealer explained it it was necessary to update the HC500 to 1.8 then to 2.2.

Thanx in advance.

DS

I'm not Ryan, but you quoted me :)

No, it's not necessary but it won't hurt anything.

That was my initial thought, but of course I am not in any position to correct a dealer...I'm just a stupid hobbyist.

Please, feel free to correct as needed. I'm only human :)

Please, feel free to correct as needed. I'm only human :)

You weren't the dealer I would have been correcting =)

Hi Ryan,

Thanx in advance.

DS

I'm not Ryan, but you quoted me :)

No, it's not necessary but it won't hurt anything.

Things have not gone well.

The HC500 is stuck on "Initializing..." Over 36 hours now.

The HC800 is in my house but not installed and nothing works in my house. Doorbells, TV's, 6 buttons et al.

Can someone please send me a link that I could forward to my dealer regarding skipping the update to 1.8 and going straight to 2.2 ?

I think he is coming back tomorrow to do a restore onto 1.74 but I'm not sure that is necessary.

Thank you and Happy Easter !

Well it's been a week and we're back on 1.7.4, but all the zigbee devies are offline. According to my dealer, something called a "Zigbee Storm" is occuring and there is no reported fix. The IP controlled devices are fine, but since I centralized o lot of my light switches when we did our reno, it's become quite challenging to turn lights on and off.

Any ideas on how one might stop a zigbee storm ?

Well it's been a week and we're back on 1.7.4, but all the zigbee devies are offline. According to my dealer, something called a "Zigbee Storm" is occuring and there is no reported fix. The IP controlled devices are fine, but since I centralized o lot of my light switches when we did our reno, it's become quite challenging to turn lights on and off.

Any ideas on how one might stop a zigbee storm ?

If it's truly that many zigbee devices in one place causing the problem, power them down and update them one at a time. Maybe try 3 at a time. You can just pull the airgap.

Archived