C4 Forums | Control4

New member with bang and Olufsen

Hi all

I have been trying to find out what I can do with control 4 home automation.

I have a bang and Olufsen system at home and a biolock biometric door access control system and wanted to add control 4 for future automation.

What will I get, what can I do.

I see everything can be linked.

I also use a IR convertor for my home cinema for macro's for the cinema setup.

Any info would be great thanks all

some more information is really needed here. You can also visit Control4.com to get some very basic ideas. If you are still left scratching your head, perhaps meeting with a local dealer would be benificial.

Hi all.

Well I think I will start with replacing some light switches and adding a control panel, I can see that the bang and Olufsen system can be controlled with a masterlink gateway connected to the control 4 system.

Do the light switches replace a standard uk light fitting or do they need to be powered?

Next I might like to change my central heating programmer for a device that can work with control 4.

Also my living room uses the I Light system and would like to add this to the controls.

A local dealer is a good idea also

Thanks all

Climate control and Control4 don't always mix well and it would be advantageous of you to state your desire for this upfront. Success may depend heavily on type of system and us Yanks don't generally utilize split systems.

Cool, well I just want to future proof my house so anything I buy in future can be added to my start home.

I did look at x10 but it does not look as impressive.

In the uk we don't have climate control, it's central heating with a boiler, and a thermostate.

I would like control of my lighting by slowly replacing the switches

How does c4 communicate?

Also can this stuff be added to DIY and build the system on your own or is the system manadged.

Thansk

Control uses zigbee and is not installed DIY. You can change a lot of programming on your own after it is setup though. Searching here for "DIY" should answer a lot of your questions....and some you havent thought to ask. Grab a drink, put something into the microwave, it's a lot of reading. :)

Control4 utilizes three modes of comms- Ethernet, ZigBeePRO and WiFi. Lighting, specifically, is controlled via Zigbee. If Control4 thermostat can be used against your heat plant then a combination of Zigbee and multi-core conductor is used.

^Good shock-factor. Actually, OP could go 100% wireless and perhaps only rough-in work would be CAT6ing from router/switch to controller. We could really dummy-down this thread and still be correct. I don't know about his Beothingy- I don't do B&O or Bose.

Hi there

I have had a good look at the DIY thread's and your right it has laught me allot.

A good dealer is what I need and some concept of what I want to do.

The biometric lock is not bang and Olufsen that's made by brd group in Auz.

Wired it up today excellent but of kit

Thanks all

I'll be interested what you think of the biolock in a few weeks!

Have a look at Heatmiser, they are local for you and have some great central heating control. EV have a C4 driver for some of their products.

Also RecluseAV have the driver for B&O to communicate through the MLGateway.

As mentioned, a good dealer will assist you on all of these.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Just an update for this thread

i have found a local dealer who is also a bang and olufsen installer so understands the workings of the system.

it looks like i will need to give control of the system to the c4 system and remove it peice by peice from the bang and olufsen master devices, this will then remove the need for so many expensive items.

so as for the Biolock IP65 from Auz (uk reseller) i love this device its been a few weeks and all is still working as it should, no missed finger print scans now i know how to use the reader properly, as any reader a really dry finger/thunb will take a little longer to verify so on the way to the door a little hot breath on the thumb and it verify's me in under 1/2 a second.

user interface is excellent, device is pretty and i am told some of the pins on the I/O board could be used to trigger some c4 funtions in the future.

all in all, excellent and works as it should.

Cheers for all your info i will now post some other threads to new questions i have worked out i need to know :)

so as for the Biolock IP65 from Auz (uk reseller) i love this device its been a few weeks and all is still working as it should, no missed finger print scans now i know how to use the reader properly, as any reader a really dry finger/thunb will take a little longer to verify so on the way to the door a little hot breath on the thumb and it verify's me in under 1/2 a second.

user interface is excellent, device is pretty and i am told some of the pins on the I/O board could be used to trigger some c4 funtions in the future.

all in all, excellent and works as it should.

Interesting, i bench tested the BioLock a couple of years ago for around 3 months and was less than satisfied with it, i still have it sitting in a drawer in my shed. Where everyday reading worked reasonably for me, when ever I attempted to put the devise into "learn mode" it was at times impossible, this made it a solution I could not support!

I hope your onbgoing experience is positive.

Also, let us know how your B&O integration goes please?

Archived