C4 Forums | Control4

C4

cgt

I have 2 Control 4 systems, 1 in my home (for 1 year) and 1 in my office (1.5years) installed by a "qualified" and factory authorized installer and unfortunately both systems have been a nightmare both in failing hardware and software that works when it feels like. The installer has not stood behind the products and most recently where the hardware has failed in my system that is 1.5 years old and I have been told I need to replace at my expense the hardware. Did I miss something? Control4 has a hardware life expectancy of less than 2 years?

I have given the authorized installer a year to get the system to work for more than a week without failing and now all he wants to do is pass the buck and bill me for service calls and not solve the issue.

Does C4 stand behind their equipment? To date i would have to say the answer is an unqualified NO.

I have a wall mount touch panel that can no longer be read although it is still powered and the tech tried to re-flash it to no avail, now I'm told I have to at my expense replace it. Really? A disposable $20,000 system?

Have I missed something with C4? Or is this the norm?

IF you have a bad dealer then this is the norm. Control4 doesn't deal directly with customers. The best thing you can do is list whom your dealer is so that others do not fall into his trap. I would also report him to the BBB and your local department of consumer affairs.

If you tell us where you live then other people on this forum might be able to give you another dealer recommendation and he MIGHT work with you.

I've had 3 failures, an HC1000v3 and 2 keypads.

It took C4 6 weeks to repair my HC1000v3 (yes it is a slightly important component).

I had a switch die, and a V2 remote. I think that's it. I'm pretty sire my kids killed the remote.

Not sure of the model numbers but I've had 2 remotes fail, a battery failed in a touch Screen and now has failed again. Now the wall screen that has been used 3 times has failed. The software has also failed on at least 2 separate occasions.

All this equipment has been babied since new.

In retrospect I should have purchased a Crestron system. This has been a very expensive lesson.

All equipment was sold as new.

Thecodeman, you're 1000 % right! Sadly, the dealer seems to know nothing about customer service.

If I ran my companies like him I wouldn't have been able to afford a system like this.

This is such a depressing story. Someone has been let down with the basic setup of what should be a fail safe, easy to use HA system, when with a bit of know how, maybe alot of his/her problems could have been nipped in the bud. All I can say to the original poster is, hang in there, find a new dealer and visit this forum regularly.

But the real issue is, how do we prevent this sort of bad experience happening to others?

I think Control4 should make it mandatory for *all* users to sign up to this forum. If not, then at least actively advertise a link (say when Composer is registered).

If the original poster had been made aware of C4forums earlier in his/her life with the Control4 product, maybe their problems could have been sorted out way sooner...

CytexOne should make sure they do everything possible to put C4forums right up the top of a google search of 'Control4' and the C4 company *itself* should darn well do something to actively promote this site as a resource for *all* users.

however the hardware is also very much part of the issue.

Are you totally sure of this? In my experience from reading other user posts here, it's pretty much always software configuration and wireless mesh problems and inadequate knowledge of networking and how the product works...

But, there is another side to this argument (I know YOU know what I'm talking about here)...

Sure. But my point is every user of Control4 needs to know *something* about how the product works. Basic knowledge is paramount. Seems to me alot of folk that stumble onto this site (often in desperation)...have totally no idea. This surprises me. You simply can't be a lame duck with this product and entrust your dealer to do absolutely *everything* for you. You have to be a bit pro-active with this product. In my expereience, a little bit of user self know how goes along way to making a happy customer. That's where this forum could play such a major role in customer education... and prevention of this sort of poor experience..

But, there is another side to this argument (I know YOU know what I'm talking about here)...

not quite. Already have another local dealer willing to step up and deal with issues ignored by first dealer and any hardware issues.

But' date=' there is another side to this argument (I know YOU know what I'm talking about here)...[/quote']

not quite. Already have another local dealer willing to step up and deal with issues ignored by first dealer and any hardware issues.

I think you will be happy with Seth, he is worthy every penny.

Archived