C4 Forums | Control4

Free XBMC Driver

smarch

^Interesting. I haven't found Brandon J's to work any differently. I had to use it last night though on a ripped mkv. I though I was going to tear my hair out though- it kept skipping ahead in chapters.

There is some apps on Itunes for control xbmc, without going through Control4. I used them in the past, and they worked great.

I don't use XBMC though, because the audio wasn't that good in the past. Video seem choppy too. The only thing that I can say good about

XBMC is that it is free. Although, I prefer quality so I am willing to spend $50 on a better solution with J River.

must have been a hardware issue. I've used XBMC on many platforms without issues and have run into other hardware configurations where video was choppy on larger files.

Also i just got my activation key for Alans driver and i JUST swapped it out. And it works great. Much faster to respond to remote button presses then the free eden driver.

There is some apps on Itunes for control xbmc' date=' without going through Control4. I used them in the past, and they worked great.

I don't use XBMC though, because the audio wasn't that good in the past. Video seem choppy too. The only thing that I can say good about

XBMC is that it is free. Although, I prefer quality so I am willing to spend $50 on a better solution with J River.[/quote']

must have been a hardware issue. I've used XBMC on many platforms without issues and have run into other hardware configurations where video was choppy on larger files.

Also i just got my activation key for Alans driver and i JUST swapped it out. And it works great. Much faster to respond to remote button presses then the free eden driver.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the driver. Personally i think the strength of my new driver is not in the speed (thats a bonus). What i use my driver alot for is its two way feedback. Here is some usecase scenarios i do at home everyday.

1) Airplay music/video turns on system with XBMC as audio or video source dependant on airplay file type. Use this for streaming youtube to the TV alot.

2) On XBMC Screensaver (ie when i fell asleep or have left the room and have forgotten about the tv) activated turn room off.

Anyway i won't hijack the thread anymore. Just wanted to share the XBMC love.

There is some apps on Itunes for control xbmc' date=' without going through Control4. I used them in the past, and they worked great.

XBMC is that it is free. Although, I prefer quality so I am willing to spend $50 on a better solution with J River.[/quote']

No hardware issue, because I am using the same hardware on J River. I have a Denon 5308 that automatically up converts any source to 1080P, and my server is built with a very fast hardware Areca Raid 6.

I tested XBMC for over a year, but I am not happy with the performance of that software. I gladly drop $50 for a quality software, and that is what I chose. Just a switch in software fixed the issue, but J River is much more advanced than XBMC has ways to tailor the quality of the video better. You can change the video settings to give a better quality with a faster processor. It is called Red October HQ. Anyway, good luck with XBMC.

i meant a hardware compatibility issue with XBMC software. Not for file playback. Some software will prefer a certain type of GPU over another. Im pretty sure XBMC favors Nvidea chipsets. Not 100% on that tho. I have yet to try J River, but with the integration XBMC has and the add ons, i doubt id even consider switching.

Archived