C4 Forums | Control4

Free XBMC Driver

smarch

ironic that this driver released right after I purchased Alan's driver. However, considering how long I was able to use Alan's free driver, I feel good giving a little something back. And, Alan's eden driver works great so all is good:)

tum

I was the opposite. I used the free driver for only about 3 months then Dharma went bye-bye. Brandon's driver works great too and I can install it myself. That was a big plus since my regular dealer had not registered with Recluse and basically I got tired of waiting for small details like that.

Not that I can tell- it just works.

Do you know what date yours has on it? (the nice thing about this is the source code and versions are all there in open source control to go back to an older version)

Alex is reporting the latest one crashes for him on the xbmc forum.

First time using XMBC I could be doing something wrong but ony way to know is to ask.

When selecting music, I cant listen to music and then browse to find new music. The Direction keys on the remote function as fast forward, rewind ect and the actual fast forward rewind skip keys do nothing?? Just me or anyone else?

Can someone please explain this thread to the inexperienced folk out there (me). I love the look and feel of XBMC for my digital movie files, but thought you had to have a cracked Apple TV to get it to integrate into a Control4 system. Is XBMC running from a HTPC?

Well, a family member was using this software last night and reported that the C4/SR-250 FF button didn't work. So, perhaps there are bugs in the driver. I thought I tested this out as OK but I guess I missed it. Fast-End works though.

End-result on this? Not up to prime-time but let me say that about XBMC in general. I discovered a far superior interface thanks to a member on this forum. If you like "free" then try the link above.

End-result on this? Not up to prime-time but let me say that about XBMC in general. I discovered a far superior interface thanks to a member on this forum. If you like "free" then try the link above.

I've tested both - neither are there yet in my view if you want both play movies from C4 and xbmc menu navigation, which I do:-

Craig P's driver ( I have a couple of versions, his older version seems more functional) is great if you want to play movies from c4 interface, but as far as I can tell, does not allow xbmc menu navigation, which is fundamental to me.

Brandon J's driver does menu navigation, but did not play movies from C4 gui. (although the version history suggests this has been added)

If I've got this wrong please let me know (better yet PM and email the version you have), but I've spent a few hours swapping and testing both.

On the subject of XBMC - I love it! Prime time enough for me.

Lost video transport controls today and had to reload the driver- not good. Also, why would you need to play movies from a Control4 TS? XBMC gives you a display of those. You got your TV on anyway so use the XBMC.

It's all moot. I've got global control of my HTPC throughout the house and need no media box or specific Control4 intervention and like I said, I found a better interface to use.

Your "far better interface" is what? I assumed you where talking about one of the free xbmc drivers.

The reason I want to run movies out of c4 navigator is only for kids. I believe a simple favorite with kids only movie is easier than navigating xbmc interface, where they could also stuff up settings if they play with it.

• 2 months later...

I just upgraded from Dharma to Eden and I find that brandon J's driver responds to commands from the remote a bit slower than Alans free driver for Dharma. Im going to try Alans Eden driver and do a comparison this week.

Archived