C4 Forums | Control4

free lifetime programming

Spoke with someone in the store today about the new portable touch screen and when they inquiried about price I gave them a total including programming. They responded that their dealer gave them free lifetime programming with their install. I believe them and assume that doesn't include physical installation which is not needed in this case.

1) It seems crazy on the dealers part if he isn't selling the product, right?

2) Free lifetime programming is a killer deal especially for creating customer loyalty but where do you draw the line?

Free lifetime programming is awesome considering the dealer offering it probably won't be in business long enough for it to matter...

My thought exactly. The guy has his closing date all planned is my guess.

if not already

I was thinking the same. Not that people need a reason but there was no reason for these people to lie to me about it. If I sold them the hardware and they didn't have a programmer it would either come back or they would pay us to program. I have no issue selling just hardware but if someone can program the equipment shouldnt they be able to acquire the hardware too?

I assume he, the installer, is counting on physically installing new hardware at some point but it seems as if there would be a stipulation that the hardware must come from the dealer who is programming.

I did mention the use of the new door station with the new touch screen and that based on their current in wall touch screens the spot station would be able to use audio only. I also mentioned the new home controllers and they said there's may be the newest because it was installed.a few months ago. Never once did they mention their dealer other than the programming.

These people were very nice & seemed very intelligent but something seems fishy about this situation.

it seems as if there would be a stipulation that the hardware must come from the dealer who is programming.

something seems fishy about this situation.

You are correct, the dealer that sells the product is supposed to install the product.

Yes something there is wrong, because if already has a real dealer then why wouldn't he just buy it from the dealer? Did you ask which OS the customer was running?

I think you may want to check your contract.

He may have said "free lifetime programming", assuming you knew that it meant for gear he had installed.

I don't think it's a misrepresentation to say you offer free programming with that as an unsaid proviso.

RyanE

Archived