C4 Forums | Control4

HC300 1.7.3 to 1.8.2 upgrade

Netcom

Hello All,

I recently purchased a HC300 on eBay that is running 1.7.3. I would like to add it to my system but Im running 2.2.1. Im using another HC300 on the networks as the EmberNet Controller but it appears that the update never starts. Should the 1.7.3 HC300 automatically upgrade once connected? are there any good upgrade instructions other then the release notes?

If you're running 2.2.1, you're not running EmberNet.

Even if you wanted to run 1.8, you're not running EmberNet.

You can't have part of a system running 2.x and part running 1.x reliably.

Updates must be system-wide, and versions / updates are managed with ComposerPro. There's no facility to fully downgrade a 2.x system to a 1.x system.

RyanE

Im actually trying to update a HC300 that has version 1.7.3 on it. I need it to join my 2.2.1 network and was trying to do it using Composer but can seems to bet it to work. Where can I find documentation on the upgrade process?

Im actually trying to update a HC300 that has version 1.7.3 on it. I need it to join my 2.2.1 network and was trying to do it using Composer but can seems to bet it to work. Where can I find documentation on the upgrade process?

You could do a restore to 2.2.1, or just plug it in to your network, add the driver and hit update. No zigbee involvement at all.

Necom, To expand on Dans comment

1. To do a restore you need a USB utility which runs on your pc to create a USB stick with the required version. This only gets you so far. You still need composer PRO 2.2 to add your new hc-300 to the project. This is the dealer only locked version of composer

2.when Dan says add the driver, he is again referring to using composer pro. Which allows you to add a hc-300 driver to your project, identify the device. Once the device is in the project you can see it under tools> update manager to update.

In practice you need a dealer to do these simple steps, because you probably don't have composer pro

Well this is real simple... Netcom, are you a dealer or a system owner? Only certified installers are allowed to have/use Composer Pro, which is required to "add" devices to your project. Once the 1.7.x HC300 is added and identified into your existing project, it can then be updated to your current OS level. In order to create a USB restore stick for 2.0 or later, requires you to enter the mac of the controller you are "restoring". If it did not ship with OS 2.x.x, then it will NOT let you create it. This was a very smart design/security feature, that prevents people from circumventing the 2.0 upgrade license fee.

Archived