C4 Forums | Control4

Water Proof shower interface

As mentioned above, we have seen the CA Mini remotes used in the shower for just this need. I would imagine it would work for quite some time as long as you didn’t douse it in water.

I have one of these sitting around not being used...I may give it a whirl in this application.

Do you guys wrap it with anything, or just let it be? I'd imagine it would see quite a bit of moisture.

I have used one in the shower for 3 years or so.

Never had an issue with it.

I only use it for volume control, prev/next, and mute (5 buttons).

I just hang it with it's provided clip over the shower door, and when I use it, I hang the towel over the top of it to keep it from getting too drenched (I doubt the kids do that, though...).

RyanE

I have used one in the shower for 3 years or so.

Never had an issue with it.

I only use it for volume control, prev/next, and mute (5 buttons).

I just hang it with it's provided clip over the shower door, and when I use it, I hang the towel over the top of it to keep it from getting too drenched (I doubt the kids do that, though...).

RyanE

I wish the clip would fit over the shower door...maybe it will. I'll have to investigate this further.

In regards to the CA remote, I'm looking for an actual visual interface, where I can select radio stations, rhapsody tracks, etc. Yes I know sounds very unnecessary, but very cool to show off!

I agree it would be very cool. I have a friend who is in the remote banking business, and they just created a test product for gated communities. He was searching for a way to weather proof a color, high resolution, touch screen. I know he came up with one...I'll find out what it was. I'm certain you could put a C4 Touchpanel behind a protective coating of some sort.

http://www.liquipel.com/

Yeah I wonder if we could do this to a touch screen.

It might be worth inquiring. I clicked "Buy Now" and they have a short list of devices they have product for, and it requires you sending the product in to them. I wonder how much it would cost for a one off product...something not mainstream like the few cell phones listed.

I find it unlikely that you could fully waterproof a Control4 touchscreen this way, because of the air vents and speaker holes.

Also, I know this is in the context of a one-off, but if this were to be a shower approved product *for retail sale* in the US, there are a *LOT* of other requirements you have to fulfill, along the lines of:

If a device is a certain thickness, it has to be strong enough to support the weight of a person. That thickness is pretty small, like the thickness of a tile...

Also, electrical safety requirements go way up for a product that can be immersed or fully wetted.

RyanE

Archived