C4 Forums | Control4

System very slow after replacing modem/router

I recently added Comcast voice to my internet and had to replace the modem/router. I configured the new router with the same settings as the old one (DHCP settings for IP range, etc). For a few minutes my HC300 and 200B didn't like the confusion on IP addresses, but I restarted them and everything got addressed correctly. However, since doing that, my system is VERY slow to respond. Changing channels or volume takes 3 seconds from button press to actual change. This used to be closer to 10 seconds, but after shutting down EVERY network-connected device and rebooting everything, it seemed to be back to normal. But a few hours later, it's slowing down again. Does anyone have an idea why this would happen? I'm on 2.2.0; I thought since my system worked on a Zigbee mesh, it wouldn't be so dependent on IP communication.

I appreciate any useful feedback.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although zigbee mesh is separate... The controllers communicate via IP. Make sure you have rebooted all the controllers, not just the primary...

Also, could be a slow dns server, could switch to google's dns 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 or maybe openDNS to see if the problem goes away.

Comcast might have switched to DNSsec and/or that stupid redirect / hijack crap they are doing. Where you mistype a domain and it takes you to a comcast related search site. This could be a problem... You can opt out of it, read more here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/How-to-Opt-out-of-the-DNS-NXR-program/td-p/750239

Good luck...

BTW, what firewall, if any, are you using behind the cable modem?

Well, there's your problem...

Comcast modem goes down, whole system will go down...

Probably DHCP tables are screwed up, ARP / Routing tables, etc... Not to mention, all your network traffic is now going through the comcast modem instead of just internet traffic.

Get a good router that does DHCP and NAT at a minimum.

I would recommend configuring the C4 Controllers with a Static IP Address. If DHCP is what you would like to use, then I would recommend configuration a DHCP reservation for the Controllers and extending the lease to highest amount of time allowed.

If the system is slow, them you may have high network congestion with the introduction of the telephony service. Most of your traffic should be local to the network, so external firewalls or external DNS shouldn't affect local communications to the C4 controller. Again, I would recommend configuring static IP's for the C4 Controllers and possibly consider contacting Comcast Support to ask about Quality of Service (QoS) for the addition of Voice Services.

Again, I don't know much about Comcast services.

I recently did an upgrade for a customer who wanted TW wideband (similar to comcast) internet. We used the old modem as just phone service, installed a wideband modem for internet only in bridge mode, and then used a Netgear WNDR4500 as the router. Pulls down 50/5 internet.

At my house, I lived briefly with the TW wideband modem as my router and wifi AP. It was terrible.

I recently did an upgrade for a customer who wanted TW wideband (similar to comcast) internet. We used the old modem as just phone service, installed a wideband modem for internet only in bridge mode, and then used a Netgear WNDR4500 as the router. Pulls down 50/5 internet.

At my house, I lived briefly with the TW wideband modem as my router and wifi AP. It was terrible.

Did the Router and Wifi AP affect your C4 operations? I would think "No" unless the C4 Controllers and IP based Remote (MyHome for iOS, Android or PC) are on two different networks.

I recently did an upgrade for a customer who wanted TW wideband (similar to comcast) internet. We used the old modem as just phone service' date=' installed a wideband modem for internet only in bridge mode, and then used a Netgear WNDR4500 as the router. Pulls down 50/5 internet.

At my house, I lived briefly with the TW wideband modem as my router and wifi AP. It was terrible.[/quote']

Did the Router and Wifi AP affect your C4 operations? I would think "No" unless the C4 Controllers and IP based Remote (MyHome for iOS, Android or PC) are on two different networks.

Where, at the customer or at my house?

Well, there's your problem...

Comcast modem goes down, whole system will go down...

Probably DHCP tables are screwed up, ARP / Routing tables, etc... Not to mention, all your network traffic is now going through the comcast modem instead of just internet traffic.

Get a good router that does DHCP and NAT at a minimum.

This is good information that should not be overlooked. Standard-issue converter/router/radio boxes are crap at best and statistically do fail more often than not. If another device in the network is handing out IPs and it's failure rate is lower, isn't this a safer route to take?

If you are not familiar with the inter-workings of System Network components like DHCP and DNS, then I would say keep it simple. So if you have a single Wifi Router/AP performing all those roles, then that should be ok. Eventually you should look into a dedicated Wireless Access Point for Wifi devices.

I think at the end of the day, you will want to use Static IP's for devices that participate in the Automation System. If you don't use static IP's, how do tell the Control4 about Network Camera's or Network Media Players?

^Give dentalben some credit here. He doesn't directly say he's allowing dynamic IP selection, he just says the Comcast device is set-up to issue IPs to his equipment. He says the settings were transferred over so lets just assume they are statics. DNS doesn't have a thing to do with the general workings within his C4 LAN especially things like Zigbee (or IR, or whatever is causing his specific problems) slugishness.

What do you mean by "dedicated WAP"? If he was saying his portable wasn't working right or his TSs were lame on a WiFi sig, then maybe he would need better coverage but again, what does this have to do with his specific complaints?

It's going to take his dealer to get in there and see what is going on with his system. Run a log and go from there.

Static IPs are not the best option... Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm sick of seeing people recommend static IPs.

Static IPs are hard coded into the device, making it necessary to then touch every device if you need to change IP schema.

It also opens up the possibility of DHCP assigning an IP that another device has assigned as a static, which will cause one or both devices to fail.

The proper way to set up an IP network is through DHCP reservations via MAC address. A proper DHCP server should be able to do this without issue.

With DHCP reservations, you can change out IP addressing for your entire network from one spot, look up device IPs easy, and most importantly, avoid IP conflicts.

Getting back to OP, a good firewall / router can handle DHCP reservations for every device... The comcast cable modem should just be in front of the firewall, and the switch / devices should be behind the firewall. There is no other real way to do this. Without a firewall, you are exposing your network to the world, or best case, routing all your local traffic through your cable modem if it is acting like a NAT / router.

While I am not going to argue networking "best practices" with you guys, (I am sure I would lose)

Control4 authored drives will work fine with your method but I have seen drivers that are specifically looking for an IP address, not a mac address.

In this case Static IPs are needed.

Again, not arguing, just not a fan of blanket statements either way

Brent

I think the problem with threads like this is some responses don't fall within the context of the problem or complaint. And, it could very well be that we have not all of the facts to decide what is at fault. I personally would bet that OP's problem has nothing to do with networking (in a sense) at all.

DHCP Reservations GUARANTEE the MAC address will ALWAYS get the SAME IP. It is BETTER than Static IPs. End of Story.

Unless the DHCP server is down, then you have *no* IP addresses.

That's the only advantage of Static IP addresses, IMHO.

As pstuart has pointed out, statically-assigned addresses through DHCP are pretty much the same as static IP addresses, and they typically work very well, if setup properly.

It's what I use at my house, for a few reasons:

1) Manually setting up devices at the device is a pain

2) If I needed to change addressing schemes, it's much easier to do it in one place

3) The DHCP web interface lists all the addresses in the system, making looking something up easier.

I even put in DHCP entries for devices that don't support DHCP, and that I've assigned static IP addresses for, just to keep it consistent.

RyanE

If the DHCP server goes down, IP addresses at devices remain functional until the device is rebooted or the lease expires.

A properly configured DHCP server trumps static IPs... If YOUR DHCP server goes down and your devices loose connectivity, then you have an improperly set up DHCP server, or the DHCP server is doing more than assigning IPs.

And yes, if you MUST use static ips, you then MUST reserve those IPs IF those IPs are in your DHCP IP pool range. Hopefully you assign static ips outside of the scope of the DHCP pool, but if you don't, reservations will solve this, assuming you don't put a MAC address in the reservation.

^Never seen that either. That's why I said the cable co. boxes are not what I'd call a safe/sound platform for this function. Better-off to choose a known reliable & capable device for IP assignment. But, more importantly, why would such a device loose power?? That's what UPSs are for.

Archived