C4 Forums | Control4

Installation

bjeff

I am having a new home built and my wife and I have settled on the Control4 system for various reasons. 1st being the cost and it provides the functionality we are looking for. One issue I am having is finding an installer or dealer in the area that I am comfortable with. This has become such a large challenge I am even thinking about trying to go through the steps to become a dealer myself to get around the people I have had to deal with.

This brings me to my biggest question, ever dealer I have approached about just purchasing the equipment from them and doing a self installation, says it can't be done. So I am posing the question to the people on the forum? Can someone effectively do a self installation of a control4 system successfully or is there software and tools that will not be available to them to be successful?

I have been a network engineer for years and I understand their is a learning curve, but please let me know your thoughts.

Bryan

http://www.thesohoshop.com

You definitely don't want to do your own system. Even though they do run on a standard network there are so many intricacies of the system you will drive yourself nuts trying to work everything out.

Find a cool dealer that will let you learn as they program it so you can tweak it yourself.

I agree with Dan.

Although you may be a network engineer, that doesn't mean you're also a multi-room audio expert, a home theater install expert, familiar with lighting and HVAC, and security, which are all areas that a Control4 dealer needs to be quite familiar with.

Also, dealers are required to take a 3 day training course at Control4 before they are allowed to sell the equipment. This is typically *on top* of Home Automation / installation expertise the dealer already has.

While it's certainly not rocket science installing and programming Control4 systems, it is complex, and there are a lot of ways to screw it up, from the physical installation to the software and programming.

Also, typically the Composer Pro software that is required to do a full installation of the system is not available to the homeowner. There is a version for the homeowner, Composer HE, which allows you to do pretty much full programming of the already installed system (customize it to do pretty much whatever you want but don't want to pay the dealer to do for you), but would not allow you to install additional equipment without your dealer.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...

My company travels, not comfortable with someone local? I understand what you are saying bjeff but, as Ryan explains, there are many things to screw up and I do not think it would be cost effective for you to become a dealer, go through the training, buy your equipment and call it quits. It is the installers that go through it everyday, its what we do for a living. I find out all kinds of tricks and new stuff to do everyday when installing/programming a system, I make it fun. I mean the slogan is "everyday easy." Also, when I started programming c4, I was not certified. I was being taught by someone else. I am computer savvy and the progam is easy to use but you really need the knowledge of CI AV equipment. It is easy to get lost. You WILL NOT get the most for your money if you do yourself. Go Crestron or AMX. You'll end up paying twice the amount for the the system not programmed, or a complete Control4 System installed and serviced. (with 4sight activation)

• 1 month later...

Ditto Dan. That's why they make you fly to Salt Lake City, for a long 4 days of training. There is a method to all of this madness!

Although I did see the "Easy Setup Program" but I think that's just simple approach of getting things connected. Nothing as robust as Composer.

BJeff,

I've heard the same thing over and over again on forums like these. I am a network engineer and I didn't find setting up my control4 system that complicated.

Did I do everything right the first time? No. But I learned a lot along the way.

- Joe

Joe,

I'm like you. Setting up the system isn't that complicated. I have gotten almost all of it to work. Sure I get stuck sometimes but, I can usually play with it for a little and get it to work. Most of the problems I have needed help from people here are network related issues. I've had problems with NAS and a Linksys Switch. I'm still trying to get the switch sorted out and everyone on this forum has been more than helpful and I greatly appreciate it. No one on here needs to help anyone else. When I see someone post a question that I can help with or know the answer to, I am more than happy to reply and help someone. And when it comes to me posting questions, I actually don't like being a hassle to other people and ask them for help. I'm a DIYer and there is no need for any dealers to answer my questions because if I went the traditional route and hired a Certified Installer there would be no need for it. I spend a lot of time reading the posts here and searching the forum when I get stuck. It avoids lots of questions and gives me good ideas too! I am very grateful to all the dealers and C4 employees who have helped me out, and have put useful information on this forum for everyone to read. Everyday I learn something new and helpful to getting the most out of my system!!

Thank you Everyone!

Did this myself:

~ Roughly 100 dimmers/switches

~ 5 TV's connected using Audio Control's new video baluns and some using just direct pentacables

~ 1 MC, 1 HTC, 9 audio zones

~ Ademco Alarm system connected to the system

~ 4 Cameras

~ 9 Touch screens

~ NAS

~ DVD Changer

~ PS3

~ Region 'Unlocked' DVD player

~ Keydigital's Keymatrix

~ TS's

and other stuff (Inhomes Garage door, etc)

was easy.

• 8 years later...
On 6/6/2016 at 10:25 PM, AB05 said:

Where did you guys buy your controller? i want to attempt this myself as well but cant find an online retailer that sells the EA-3 controller? any support is welcome!

On 6/6/2016 at 10:51 PM, Cyknight said:

9 year old thread?

You won't find controllers (new ones) online because new gear cannot just be sold online - like it or not, C4 is a dealer installed product.

Still an interesting necrothread, but not for the content.  The OP has become a C4 dealer.  And the last guy that posted in the thread hasn't posted since 2014 and last we heard from him he was going to try to find a dealer to upgrade his 1.7.4 system...

Archived