C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Alternatives for DIYers

qVAMPIREp

Sort of depends on what it is you want to do, what you expect.

The only option I'd consider worth exploring is Z-Wave, there's some pretty cool stuff in there.

But then considering what I would like to see combine it all into a full automation system (lights, A/V climate control etc etc etc) with easy controls, multiple control options, remote control functionality and actuall "smart" enough so that it would actually do most of it FOR me ... I'd be hard pressed name a program that's DIY.

Edited to not be one long sentence....

• 1 year later...

Forget Z-Wave, most Z-Wave modules need poll to send feeback and this nothing instanteous, keypads are only scenes controller, not real keypad. Locks signal are difficult to repeat and easily broken by metallic door, light does not support direct dim with fade, remotes are ugly and I can continue... The best DIY solutions is C4 as central controler and A/V management and Insteon dual-band for lightning (not the crappy old Insteon gear from early revision). Newer Insteon from 2009+ is vert reliable and provide all Instant feedback. Insteon keypad can serve the same as C4 keypads and integrate well with C4. Using C4 as the "brain" offers the best A/V Integration, Control and interface available for the price. Also use C4 locks and remotes, they never miss a beat.

Forget Z-Wave, most Z-Wave modules need poll to send feeback and this nothing instanteous, keypads are only scenes controller, not real keypad. Locks signal are difficult to repeat and easily broken by metallic door, light does not support direct dim with fade, remotes are ugly and I can continue... The best DIY solutions is C4 as central controler and A/V management and Insteon dual-band for lightning (not the crappy old Insteon gear from early revision). Newer Insteon from 2009+ is vert reliable and provide all Instant feedback. Insteon keypad can serve the same as C4 keypads and integrate well with C4. Using C4 as the "brain" offers the best A/V Integration, Control and interface available for the price. Also use C4 locks and remotes, they never miss a beat.

Curiosity, how many Z-Wave system have you done?

Also C4 locks or remotes never miss a beat?  How many have you installed?

Again this is out of curiosity.  The remotes are pretty good now especially with the HC-800 or HC-250.  But there are hiccups, and the locks are far from bulletproof, yet not made by C4 themselves.  Yale being very good and B&D being decent and a crap shoot.

Archived