C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos Integration including Announcements solution?

zariaman

Does anyone have a good solution along with what hardware I would need to integrate my Sonos 8 zone system; (8 Connect:AMPs "zp120") with a HC800.

I am very familiar with Sonos and I know that each Sonos AMP has an analogue input; can that input be used when integrating the Announcements from the HC800. Would this work or would I be looking at an Audio Matrix; what about a automatic speaker switch?

I know there is a good Sonos driver from Extra Vegetables, can that driver actually switch the Sonos to play the analogue input fast enough when an announcement is triggered?

Isn't the issue that you can't just put one analog input into the system to play at all nodes? If you can do that, you might have something to work with.

But I think you know the optimal solution is one or a few Sonos players without the amps plugged into an audio matrix, with the Sonos driver from EV (which has incomplete support, you will still need the Sonos app).

Isn't the issue that you can't just put one analog input into the system to play at all nodes? If you can do that, you might have something to work with.

But I think you know the optimal solution is one or a few Sonos players without the amps plugged into an audio matrix, with the Sonos driver from EV (which has incomplete support, you will still need the Sonos app).

I am not %100 sure but I believe you can; with just one analogue input you can play on all zones; ANYONE else have any experience in this?

Isn't the issue that you can't just put one analog input into the system to play at all nodes? If you can do that' date=' you might have something to work with.

But I think you know the optimal solution is one or a few Sonos players without the amps plugged into an audio matrix, with the Sonos driver from EV (which has incomplete support, you will still need the Sonos app).[/quote']

I am not %100 sure but I believe you can; with just one analogue input you can play on all zones; ANYONE else have any experience in this?

This is absolutely possible using our driver. All inputs connected to any Sonos device defined in Control4 will be available in Control4 through any other Zoneplayer.

We are working on improving the support of the driver for announcements - at the moment it will correctly switch to the announcement but not always switch back to what was playing before. This is something we're aware of and are considering how to make this improvement without adding huge amounts of additional programming.

• 2 months later...

Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but I can say I have announcements working fine with my Sonos setup. I have only one ZP120. It's using an input on my C4 amp and my HC-800 is using another. Sonos is playing across 3 zones right now actually. I'll add another ZP120 the day I need to have 2 different sources playing at the same time. The Sonos apps (mobile and desktop) get used in my house more than C4 interfaces to interact with the Sonos, since the driver is missing music services and features that Sonos supports. But, the stuff that is supported by the driver works well via C4. Announcements work as good as C4 announcements ever do (pretty good, minus the 2-3 second delay and the weird music blip right before the announcement plays).

Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but I can say I have announcements working fine with my Sonos setup. I have only one ZP120. It's using an input on my C4 amp and my HC-800 is using another. Sonos is playing across 3 zones right now actually. I'll add another ZP120 the day I need to have 2 different sources playing at the same time. The Sonos apps (mobile and desktop) get used in my house more than C4 interfaces to interact with the Sonos, since the driver is missing music services and features that Sonos supports. But, the stuff that is supported by the driver works well via C4. Announcements work as good as C4 announcements ever do (pretty good, minus the 2-3 second delay and the weird music blip right before the announcement plays).

You answered my question exactly. Basically the input of the zp120 amp is used when configuring announcements; digitizing the audio from Controller into the virtual Sonos matrix is not possible as stated in the EV sonos documents.

Does your media continue to play after an announcement has been executed?

My only issue now is the music does not continue after an announcement has been executed. I know there is situation when this can occur; I just want to get it as close as possible to a configuration that will allow media to continue after an announcement has been executed.

I have to say there is zero delay when an announcement is set off, it is almost instant, I am VERY impressed.

I got it up and running with 5 ZP120 amps / 5 C4 zones. I really like how C4 has the music organized with album art under MyMusic, it think it is a better visual interface then Sonos PC GUI.

UPDATE:

found my answer on page 31 of the EV Sonos documentation. small programming step brings Sonos to Play State. 10/10 driver!

yes with only one analog you can send music to 10 connnect amp if you want no problem

Isn't the issue that you can't just put one analog input into the system to play at all nodes? If you can do that' date=' you might have something to work with.

But I think you know the optimal solution is one or a few Sonos players without the amps plugged into an audio matrix, with the Sonos driver from EV (which has incomplete support, you will still need the Sonos app).[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

Have you experienced any issues with saving the "Play State" then Restoring after the announcement has been played? For me the restore only works the first time an announcement is played; on the second attempt the restored state ends up on line in from the HC800.

Nope, but now that you mention it, I probably haven't had much experience with multiple announcements happening while I'm playing Sonos. Definitely have had one announcement go off, several different times.. I'll try and test that out.

-J

Archived