C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Hardware Update Cycles

qVAMPIREp

Just a general question, does anyone know if there are going to be more frequent hardware updates? I know Control4 doesn't let the public know its plans (Why? Makes no sense to me really given that they arent really competing with anyone in their middle market niche) It would be great to see even yearly incremental updates adding more processing power etc. Sure the 800 & 250's are faster but not that much faster than my current hardware so I see no compelling reason to upgrade. That being said my system is not nearly fast enough for my liking. I'd also love to see some real quad core Intel monster contollers rolled out. Control4 Unleash the Beast! :)

Just a general question, does anyone know if there are going to be more frequent hardware updates? I know Control4 doesn't let the public know its plans (Why? Makes no sense to me really given that they arent really competing with anyone in their middle market niche) It would be great to see even yearly incremental updates adding more processing power etc. Sure the 800 & 250's are faster but not that much faster than my current hardware so I see no compelling reason to upgrade. That being said my system is not nearly fast enough for my liking. I'd also love to see some real quad core Intel monster contollers rolled out. Control4 Unleash the Beast! :)

If you are running an HC1000 as the main controller and a 300 as a secondary, moving to the HC800 will gain you huge advantages. Perceived performance is much higher due to the newer zigbee chipsets in the 800 and 250. The upgraded system "feels" more than twice as fast. Even tho the processor isn't a huge upgrade.

Just a general question' date=' does anyone know if there are going to be more frequent hardware updates? I know Control4 doesn't let the public know its plans (Why? Makes no sense to me really given that they arent really competing with anyone in their middle market niche) It would be great to see even yearly incremental updates adding more processing power etc. Sure the 800 & 250's are faster but not that much faster than my current hardware so I see no compelling reason to upgrade. That being said my system is not nearly fast enough for my liking. I'd also love to see some real quad core Intel monster contollers rolled out. Control4 Unleash the Beast! :)[/quote']

If you are running an HC1000 as the main controller and a 300 as a secondary, moving to the HC800 will gain you huge advantages. Perceived performance is much higher due to the newer zigbee chipsets in the 800 and 250. The upgraded system "feels" more than twice as fast. Even tho the processor isn't a huge upgrade.

Yet this same increase is also gained by adding a 250 to do ZAP coordinator and on-screen.

I'll be the first to tell you to get an 800 instead of a 1000 right now, but tossing a 1000 out and replacing with an 800.....there is a more economical option. the 800 IS more powerful processor wise so it boosts you in the long run, but then again, the 1000 still isnt getting maxed out after x years and doesn't look like it'll be any time soon, so by then that HC2500 may just be out.

Yes 1000+300 won't "feel" as fast as an 800 due to zigbee and on-screen nav improvements beyong the processor power.

But a 1000 + a 250 most certainly will. And technically it puts MORE processing power in your system than just an 800.

I agree (belatedly -- Happy Thanksgiving!).

No need to shelf an HC1000 if it's working for you, and adding an HC250 will help both the on-screen and ZigBee speeds.

The one thing the 800 could be beneficial over the HC250 (besides a small speed increase) is that the HC800 has external antenna for ZigBee available, so if your controllers are located far from your main mesh, the HC800 could be worth the (significant) $ bump.

RyanE

^This point is what I find the most accurate. External antennas are what Control4 should stick with but they (and for some good reason) don't. I ran a 250 in an especially crappy ZP reception area and gave-up on it. A 300 and a CA repeater nearby worked better.

Another point to make here is portable performance. The new cam portable suffers from the same reception problem as the old 7" did. A 10.5 (w/stubby external antenna) will work better than any 7" any day of the week and better on Sundays.

The issue with that is that adding that external antenna does push the cost up quite a bit, and the HC250 is the 'value-conscious' choice, which has less tolerance for that sort of cost.

Personally, I haven't seen issues with the HC250's ZigBee performance, although I didn't have it that long before getting the HC800.

RyanE

I believe there are zigbee issues with 800 (possibly with the 250 also). One explanation C4 gave was that the antenna was on the back of this unit, which could cause some problems if mounted in a rack. But even with the ext. antenna, my zigbee doesnt reach the farthest part of my house (the 1000+300 combo worked fine)

The issue with that is that adding that external antenna does push the cost up quite a bit, and the HC250 is the 'value-conscious' choice, which has less tolerance for that sort of cost.

Personally, I haven't seen issues with the HC250's ZigBee performance, although I didn't have it that long before getting the HC800.

RyanE

I hear you. Honestly, time spent with the 250 here was minimal as well.

I believe there are zigbee issues with 800 (possibly with the 250 also). One explanation C4 gave was that the antenna was on the back of this unit, which could cause some problems if mounted in a rack. But even with the ext. antenna, my zigbee doesnt reach the farthest part of my house (the 1000+300 combo worked fine)

That's not easy to understand...

Now, if you placed the 800 in a different location than the 300 was, OK. My 800 is racked and the difference between that and the 300, which sat in the same rack position, is significant.

I believe there are zigbee issues with 800 (possibly with the 250 also). One explanation C4 gave was that the antenna was on the back of this unit' date=' which could cause some problems if mounted in a rack. But even with the ext. antenna, my zigbee doesnt reach the farthest part of my house (the 1000+300 combo worked fine)[/quote']

That's not easy to understand...

Now, if you placed the 800 in a different location than the 300 was, OK. My 800 is racked and the difference between that and the 300, which sat in the same rack position, is significant.

I don't understand it either. The 800 is in the exact same stop as the 300.

My dealer thinks it may be an issue with the older switches/dimmers (mine are almost 6 years old)

tebery,

Is your HC800 an 'early' one? i.e. how long have you had it?

There may have been an issue with ZigBee on early units, and your dealer could contact support or his RSM (Regional Sales Manager) to determine if it's a unit that may have been affected.

RyanE

tebery,

Is your HC800 an 'early' one? i.e. how long have you had it?

There may have been an issue with ZigBee on early units, and your dealer could contact support or his RSM (Regional Sales Manager) to determine if it's a unit that may have been affected.

RyanE

Ryan, thanks for the info. Yes, it was one of the first ones out. I will check with him.

Archived