C4 Forums | Control4

Busted HC1000, Upgrade to HC800?

Hey guys, its been a while since I posted on the forum. My HC1000 is kaput, it powers on but receives no data and can't be found on the network. My dealer says its a $430 repair job. My other option of course is to upgrade to the HC800, which sounds like the only way to go because the 800 will be a lot faster, and even if I pay all that cash to repair the 1000, it will have no warranty. So right now one of my HC300's is doing duty as the main controller, and the system is slow. So it sounds like a no brainer that I get the 800, but I just wanted to post to see if I'm missing anything and anyone has any different ideas. I have a week because control4 is doing inventory right now and won't be shipping anything for a few days. Thanks

800, but probably worth talking to your dealer on a trade in deal for the 1000, or I'm sure someone here will make a deal for it. Broken, it still is worth something, and dealers can get it repaired as well and then resell, or use as a spare if another customer fails...

Did your dealer try the DOM patch on the hc1000?

Or is it completely shot?

Right now it is shot, not responding, I have a new dealer and he asked if my old dealer put the patch on, I did not know the answer.

By the way, anyone know a cheap home theater receiver that has IP control?

According to the C4 list of drivers, the Onkyo TX-NR414, and the TX-NR515 have IP drivers, but I've read reviews that says they have HDMI handshake issues. Maybe the Denon AVR-1713 is the best bet for an inexpensive IP controlled receiver. Thanks.

I think any and all if them would be fine at that price point. If you read reviews you'll also see those saying that the Denon has network connectivity issues... Generally only people having issues write reviews or those that are loyalists to a brand because its a Denon or an Onkyo or a Yamaha.

In the inexpensive range any of these should be fine and each will have some sort of bug or issue or be missing some feature you want. You can't have it all for $400...

If your budget is tight, use can do the HC-250 in a heartbeat. Officially Control4 lists the HC-250 relative horsepower rating at '500', the HC-1000 at '1000', and the HC-800 at '1100'. Having said that, I didn't notice any performance hit moving from an HC-1000 to an HC-250.

I have been in the market for an IP controlled receiver and think I have settled on the Pioneer VSX-1122. The two biggest things i was looking for was ARC and bi-ampable fronts and this has both. I have had a VSX-1018 for a few years and like it but I have run out of HDMI inputs so its time to upgrade.

Archived