C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV help

I'm pretty sure this is the direction I want to go. With that said, I'm not sure how it ties into the system or how it'll be controlled.

What version should I buy? 1,2,3?

What drivers do I need? Extra Veg? Or is there something better from DD?

Where does it plug into? Is there a way to control IR from HC 800 and sr250 remote?

Basically I need help understanding how it all works together.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

They still come up on the Refurb store for $89 here and there.

I'm going I laugh at all the idiots buying ATV 2's to jailbreak them and flip for $200+ when the ATV 3 is jail broken and thy are stuck with a bunch of little black boxes worth near nothing.

I'm going I laugh at all the idiots buying ATV 2's to jailbreak them and flip for $200+ when the ATV 3 is jail broken and thy are stuck with a bunch of little black boxes worth near nothing.

Nothing? ATV 3 and ATV 2 aren't that different and ATV 2 will be worth a lot more than nothing even after ATV 3 is jailbroke. But I get your point.

There is no indication that the v3 will be jailbroken. No one has proven any exploits for it yet.

To think the ATV3 won't be jailbroken is a bit silly. The newest version of ios has been jailbroken on the iphone 5. Just not as many folks working on the ATV.

There is no indication that the v3 will be jailbroken. No one has proven any exploits for it yet.

To think the ATV3 won't be jailbroken is a bit silly. The newest version of ios has been jailbroken on the iphone 5. Just not as many folks working on the ATV.

it's not about the IOS..it's about the hardware...The chips that are in the box....no jailbreak for iphone 5 due to the same reason

I have the regular ATV3 (un-jailbroken), integrated with the regular C4 AppleTV driver, connected via IR bud from an HC300 and controlled from the SR250. Works great.

What advantages does the jailbroken ATV and the EV/DD drivers offer?

IP control, and a lot more functionality.

Urbanmark, are you able to see/use playlists on touch screens and TV interface? What is it hooked into? A TV? Amp? I'd like to control it through tough screens and TV, but listen through my C4 amp and its 4 zones. How would I connect this?

Got it... understand.

re: setup. My ATV3 is connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI which is connected to my TV. In the main living zone, this gives me the ability to use the SR250 to control/navigate the AppleTV menus, play, pause, skip etc.... There's no two-way feedback via the C4 interface. Instead, I use my iOS devices for two-way feedback/control.

re: connecting ATV3 to the C4 amp/other zones. I don't currently have my ATV3 to my C4 amp. What you'll want to doublecheck are two things:

1) Can the ATV3 provide simultaneous output from HDMI and optical? (The Mac mini can't, I *believe* ATV3 can).

2) You'll then need a way to convert the optical out of the ATV3 into the C4 amp. (Unfortunately, the C4 amp doesn't have optical inputs). Not sure the best way to do this, but hopefully others can provide a recommendation.

Hope that helps.

Urbanmark' date=' are you able to see/use playlists on touch screens and TV interface? What is it hooked into? A TV? Amp? I'd like to control it through tough screens and TV, but listen through my C4 amp and its 4 zones. How would I connect this?[/quote']

Got it... understand.

re: setup. My ATV3 is connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI which is connected to my TV. In the main living zone, this gives me the ability to use the SR250 to control/navigate the AppleTV menus, play, pause, skip etc.... There's no two-way feedback via the C4 interface. Instead, I use my iOS devices for two-way feedback/control.

re: connecting ATV3 to the C4 amp/other zones. I don't currently have my ATV3 to my C4 amp. What you'll want to doublecheck are two things:

1) Can the ATV3 provide simultaneous output from HDMI and optical? (The Mac mini can't, I *believe* ATV3 can).

2) You'll then need a way to convert the optical out of the ATV3 into the C4 amp. (Unfortunately, the C4 amp doesn't have optical inputs). Not sure the best way to do this, but hopefully others can provide a recommendation.

Hope that helps.

1) Yes it can if required.

2) Best way is a simple DAC, digital to analogue converter, available at some specialty and computer stores. Or online of course. Dealers can usually get these through whole-salers. Just keep in mind that the AppleTV will need to be set to PCM only, or even STEREO only depending on the DAC you have. Minor for most things you'll be watching from it, but still keep it in mind.

2) Best way is a simple DAC, digital to analogue converter, available at some specialty and computer stores. Or online of course. Dealers can usually get these through whole-salers. Just keep in mind that the AppleTV will need to be set to PCM only, or even STEREO only depending on the DAC you have. Minor for most things you'll be watching from it, but still keep it in mind.

You could always get a decoder like one of the options from Gefen then you wont have to set the ATV to PCM/Stereo Only

2) Best way is a simple DAC' date=' digital to analogue converter, available at some specialty and computer stores. Or online of course. Dealers can usually get these through whole-salers. Just keep in mind that the AppleTV will need to be set to PCM only, or even STEREO only depending on the DAC you have. Minor for most things you'll be watching from it, but still keep it in mind.[/quote']

You could always get a decoder like one of the options from Gefen then you wont have to set the ATV to PCM/Stereo Only

Which I why I said "depending". Point was more to keep an eye on that. Of course the Gefen are much more than a basic DAC which runs from 20-40 bucks around here.

? for something like this, why? Obviously they are limited to stereo only but this is as simple as it gets conversion wise. It's up to yourself what you want to use, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me to spend 200 dollars to get stereo analogue out of a 100 dollar apple TV.

Archived