C4 Forums | Control4

Energy usage - cheaper to have LED's BLACK, and then color at Night?

I am toying with the idea of programming my LED lights on my keypads -- I have about 30 of them -- to turn off during the day -- or go to BLACK color, and then when sunset occurs. turn their default colors back on.

I have already programmed about 10 of the switches, just for fun, but there is a lot of logic involved -- especially when the light gets turned off.

Another Engery usage Question -- is there a way to put the amplifiers, and matrix switches into "standby" mode so as to not always be on 24x7?

I have an "Away" button that I have taught my family to hit when they leave the house, which shuts down all rooms, and turns down display backlights. Just wondeirng if there is more I can do.

Thanks

If you really want to power down items (amps,matrix) you could get a Digital Logger with an Extra Vegetables driver. When you away mode is activated you could turn on the corresponding plugs on the digital logger. Personally i don't think you are going to be saving enough to cover the cost of the Digital Logger/driver.

Ryan

If they're fairly new and not super bright, I'll bet less than 0.1W to run 30 LEDs.

LED power can vary quiet a bit though, might even be upwards of 1W for 30 LEDs if they're bright and old. And of course more if your keypads have more than 1 LED on at a time.

If you really want to find out, ask the manufacturer or open one and measure.

I have a question about the LEDs on C4 lighting before I go that route throughout the house. Any answers would be appreciated:

1-- I know you can program feedback colors for the lights but can you essentially turn them off (no led) if I wanted? An example would be if light is on its green but if its off its truly off and doesn't show up on wall plate (black or not lit)?

2-- on 3 buttons lights can one button be the on and off for that light or do you need to make these separate buttons for light on, light off?

Thanks for your input....

You may get more bang for your buck with some of these:

* Dim lights to 80% at night - your eyes may only notice a slight if any difference

* Have lights automatically turn off after 15 minutes unless double tapped - great for lazy kids!

I am sure there are others that could be added to this list.

1. I think would involve a lot of programming, but I haven't tried it ( you would need scheduling, Variables, light states etc etc)

2. This can be done at dealer level programming by binding the light to a button on the keypad (you cant do bindings in Composer HE) (EDIT: if you don't want dimming on that particular button you could just program the button to toggle the light in HE)

I have a question about the LEDs on C4 lighting before I go that route throughout the house. Any answers would be appreciated:

1-- I know you can program feedback colors for the lights but can you essentially turn them off (no led) if I wanted? An example would be if light is on its green but if its off its truly off and doesn't show up on wall plate (black or not lit)?

2-- on 3 buttons lights can one button be the on and off for that light or do you need to make these separate buttons for light on, light off?

Thanks for your input....

I guess what I'm asking is if you need the LED to show up or not? Is this possible to just not show the led in the off state and in the on state show the 'green' led?

Archived