C4 Forums | Control4

Becoming a dealer/installer

Kelzor

Hi guys, I've got a control4 system installed at home and have got a little knowledge about installation and programming. I've just sold my business and have some money to invest in a new venture. My local dealer doesn't really want to do Control4 any more so there's a bit of an opportunity there. I've filled out the 'become a dealer' form twice now but not had a response, any ideas if there's something else I need to do?

Typically, you'd want to find out who your RSM or his sales guys are, and talk to them.

They're who would qualify you as a dealer (if you meet the qualifications they're looking for) and would tell you the requirements to become a dealer (assuming you meet qualifications).

RyanE

Not a bad possibility but please be aware that it may not be that simple - C4 does have actual requirements for a dealer to fullfill, and buying a company may not by default give you all those requirements, especially if it's a smaller one with the owner being the programmer etc.

I would still suggest talking to the local rep before finalising such a step - just to make sure you don't burn yourself and end up with a useless company - well for what you want to do anyway.

Can't say I disagree - seems a touch odd. Having local reps take care of this seems reasonable enough - that's part of their job after all.

More logical to me seems that either the from gets sent to whatever sales rep covers the area you fill in for, or you get contact information for that area.

That said, I can't say if it doesn't already work like the first option or not - it would make the most sense.

As I understand it - and note that I'm a dealer and not a Control4 employee - the current requirements to become a dealer are quite steep - depending on current dealer spread, how long the company applying has been in business, and much more. From what I've HEARD, starting a company from ground up today intending to do C4 installs is at best difficult to accomplish.

I've been doing C4 systems for a long, long time now - basically since C4's been on the market here - but some of these restrictions at least come from lessons hard learned is what I'm thinking.

Beyond that, all I can say is the best of luck to anyone honestly trying to get started in this business - it's not always easy, but it sure is fun to do.

I think different RSMs handle things differently, and some of them likely aren't looking for new dealers in a particular area.

That side of the company is somewhat opaque to me, fortunately.

:)

RyanE

:D

I'll bet the less you know of THOSE inner workings the happier you'll be - you deal with enough as it is.

Archived